Apple stock is going through the roof!

coscos
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Holy crap... Apple stock is rocketing upwards...

At the time of this posting, AAPL was at 19.07!

+0.88

+4.84%

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by COS

Holy crap... Apple stock is rocketing upwards...

At the time of this posting, AAPL was at 19.07!

+0.88

+4.84%

Well see MacNN front for the reason.
  • Reply 2 of 61
    coscos Posts: 99member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KidRed

Well see MacNN front for the reason.

I remember a couple years back, Apple's stock surpassed Microsoft's. It didn't last too long, but if Needham says that they anticipate the stock to shoot up to $23 per share, Apple would only be two dollars behind Microsoft's current stock rating.

msft value has been fluctuating back and fourth for the past couple days, often times by as much as $2-$3. It may be likely that Apple stock may shoot past Microsoft in the next week or so.
  • Reply 3 of 61
    Of course, if nothing good is announced on monday, no 970, no announcement, no nothing, then I'd sell as quick as you can. Traditionally, stock plummets the day of and after events due to essive rumor wishes.
  • Reply 4 of 61
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    5 years ago...or was it 4...AAPL went up to 150, then went down to 120, split and then lingered at 60-70, before sliding down to 50, then in one fell swoop dropping to 25, then it just went down down, lowest was like 11, it since has gone back up and lingered at 14-16 for months, until just recently, the passed few months(since the ITMS release) the stock has been slowly moving upward again. And it's at 19.15 now
  • Reply 5 of 61
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by COS

I remember a couple years back, Apple's stock surpassed Microsoft's. It didn't last too long, but if Needham says that they anticipate the stock to shoot up to $23 per share, Apple would only be two dollars behind Microsoft's current stock rating.

msft value has been fluctuating back and fourth for the past couple days, often times by as much as $2-$3. It may be likely that Apple stock may shoot past Microsoft in the next week or so.

Or it will fall again post WWDC as it "always" do
  • Reply 6 of 61
    coscos Posts: 99member
    Quote:

Of course, if nothing good is announced on monday, no 970, no announcement, no nothing, then I'd sell as quick as you can. Traditionally, stock plummets the day of and after events due to essive rumor wishes.

Several analysts have said that aaple cant get a break... that typically the introduction of good news results in an aapl sell-off. I believe that stock traders were simply looking for next generation hardware... next generation hardware that has been rumored to be released for as long 4 years! When it wasn't announced, you heard a collective... "Awwwwwwww!" then mass sell offs occured.

I wonder if the introduction of 970-based hardware will cause investors to stick this time.
  • Reply 7 of 61
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Or it will fall again post WWDC as it "always" do

Yep. The stock goes with the collective atmosphere around here -- super-high expectations now, super-dissapointment right after WWDC. About amonth later, things will settle down.
  • Reply 8 of 61
    Quote:

Often the stock falls even after something good is announced. They say 'buy on the rumor, sell on the news.'
  • Reply 9 of 61
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Quote:

Playing Apple's tune

Unexpected strength prompts analyst upgrade

By Susan Lerner, CBS.MarketWatch.com

Last Update: 4:18 PM ET June 18, 2003

NEW YORK (CBS.MW) -- Apple shares hit a 52-week high Wednesday after Needham & Co. upgraded the personal computer maker

Apple shines on analyst upgrade

Encouraged by the strength of accelerating IPod sales and a possible rebound in PowerMac sales beginning this fall, analyst Charles Wolf raised his recommendation on Apple (AAPL: news, chart, profile) to "buy" from "neutral" while also lifting his 2003 earnings per share estimate to 23 cents and his 2004 forecast to 60 cents from 50 cents.

After rising to $19.48 in earlier action, Apple shares backed off to close at $19.12, up 93 cents, or 5.1 percent.

"The ITunes Music Store and the new IPods promise to lift Pod sales to a much higher plateau," Wolf told clients, noting that sales of Apple's portable music player have accelerated unexpectedly following the April 28 launch of the online music service, which allows a person to download and burn songs on an unlimited number of CDs for personal use.

Meanwhile, in announcing that it would introduce a version of the products for Windows, Wolf said the company took a significant step to position itself as a digital entertainment company, not only a computer maker.

"In doing so, Apple finally appears willing to sacrifice some Macintosh sales for the opportunity to address the entire market -- both Mac and Windows users," Wolf said, noting that future additions to its portfolio of digital devices "could be the fillip to offset possible lackluster PC sales."

Still, Wolf expects sales of Apple's high-end PowerMac family of computers, which have fallen for two years, could rebound beginning in the first quarter of fiscal 2004 because of an alignment of three key PowerMac sales drivers.

First, he said, the processor speed gaps between the PowerMac and Windows machines should significantly narrow when Apple introduces new PowerMacs that run on IBM's new 970 processor. That introduction is expected at the company's Worldwide Developers Conference on June 23.

The analyst also expects the recent release of graphics software Quark Express for Mac OS X will boost Power Mac sales while strong advertising demand for this fall's television season was seen stimulating demand for the PowerMac among graphics professionals.

"With the applications in place, advertising spending rebounding and a new more powerful processor family running them, PowerMac sales should rebound from the lethargy of the past two years," Wolf said.

The upgrade was the third in recent months for Apple, as its new products continue to win over the sell-side.

On May 8, Smith Barney upgraded the stock to "in-line" from "underperform" on the belief ITunes could potentially be worth an additional $3 to the company's share price and on April 11 UBS raised it rating to "strong buy" from "hold."

• Reply 10 of 61
    Thank God for this rise in price, I bought in at $18 per share.
  • Reply 11 of 61
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Sold two days ago at $18.
  • Reply 12 of 61
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    why so close to a big apple event ensign?
  • Reply 13 of 61
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    heh, look at it since mid april

• Reply 14 of 61
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

why so close to a big apple event ensign?

I did a couple of "week" trades the past month: in at $15, out at $18, in at $16.50, out at $18 again and I thought I could make one more round trip before the Monday keynote.

Stupid Wall Street analysts, they have no clue about WWDC, but they upgrade APPL on the basis of "Hey, Apple released new iPods six weeks ago, I bet their stock's gonna go up." Morons.
  • Reply 15 of 61
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    I thought (briefly) about buying some Apple stock. How easy is it for someone in the UK to buy US stocks?

Edit:

What will happen to Apple's stock if there is a disappointing (ie no radically new hardware) WWDC?

Surely tech savvy traders stand to make a killing by paying attention to things like the 970 buildup? Or is trading based on numbers and trends rather than news?
  • Reply 16 of 61
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

Sold two days ago at $18.

Pick it up on the rebound about 3-5 days after the WWDC keynote.
  • Reply 17 of 61
    alexanderalexander Posts: 206member
    Quote:

Originally posted by COS

Uhhhh...share prices of different companies relative to each other are completely meaningless. What does have meaning is (share price * number of outstanding shares), or market cap. Microsoft's market cap is about $280 billion, Apple's is about $7 billion. Don't think Apple's going to be worth more than Microsoft as a company anytime soon. (Maybe one day... )

Alex
  • Reply 18 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

I thought (briefly) about buying some Apple stock. How easy is it for someone in the UK to buy US stocks?

Edit:

What will happen to Apple's stock if there is a disappointing (ie no radically new hardware) WWDC?

Surely tech savvy traders stand to make a killing by paying attention to things like the 970 buildup? Or is trading based on numbers and trends rather than news?

Check out datek.com thats who I use. Not sure the international terms.
  • Reply 19 of 61
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    I'll be buying AAPL if the 970s are released at WWDC. Wait until the price bottoms out after the keynote, buy in, and then ride the price up as sales of Powermacs skyrocket and Apple's market share balloons. I see this as the last opportunity to buy into AAPL stock at dirt-cheap prices before it begins to rebound from the initial fall that coincided with the dot-com bubble burst.
  • Reply 20 of 61
    aureamauream Posts: 30member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

Edit:

I wouldn't even bother personally except for "sentimental value." Over the past 10 years, Apple stock has consistently underperformed the market. If you want to invest, just go into a simple S&P500 index fund, and chances are you'll make more than you would in AAPL. Also, despite all the buying/selling done on news and info, very, very few people make a "killing" by paying attention to news or rumors. At this point all the info is so widely disseminated that any potential reward coming from Apple's announcements are already priced into the stock.

With that said, I do still have some AAPL stock, sort of for "sentimental" reasons (and good thing I held onto most of it recently). But I definitely wouldn't sink all my savings into it. Great company, but not so great stock performance.