iBox, why 'O why won't they make this?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
[What I want-

I'm of the firm belief that the "Digital hub" should be targeted to reside with the rest of the consumer media devices, namely the TV/Stereo equipment.

[What it would take-[

With just back of the napkin calculations here using off the shelf products for rough comparisons (not even deducting the added costs of retail)...

$200 GameCube (PowerPC based, no less)

$100 Airport ready

$200 PVR Card

$ 50 Wireless keyboard

$ 50 Hard drive

Pfhh 128 Ram

Pfhh Firewire ports

Pfhh Remote control

-------

~600 going up with options for CD-RW, DVD, DVD-R

Add a simple "launcher-style" interface that starts out with iTunes, iDVD, iMovie, a TIVO-style channel guide (all tuned to be easily usable with remote only), and then email and web for keyboard use (although this will never be a strong selling point unless used with a large HDTV).

[What it's good for[

Obviously (depending on configuratoin) it could...

1. Play DVDs and mp3s

2. Record TV

3. Convert an analog VCR feed into digital and burn as DVD or VCD.

4. Serve files for a home network.

5. Function as an airport base station.

6. Play internet radio and TV broadcasts.

7. Being a software upgradeable receiver (no longer having to buy a new one because they come out with Dolby 6.2)

and Maybe...

6. Play GameCube games if Apple worked out a deal with nintendo.

7. Do HDTV

8. Function as a cheap terminal for library kiosks and the like when attached to a monitor.

9. Work as a rack-mount server for business.

Hell, the thing could even be the LCD iMac if you hook a monitor up to it and forget about it having to be all in one.

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: Nordstrodamus ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    You can do all of these things with an iMac. Consumer Macs all the way, baby! If you don't mind the small screen, you're fine. The top-of-the-line iMac is pretty peppy.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    APPLE: BUILD IT AND WE WILL COME!
  • Reply 3 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by cdhostage:

<strong>You can do all of these things with an iMac. Consumer Macs all the way, baby! If you don't mind the small screen, you're fine. The top-of-the-line iMac is pretty peppy.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't know about your home entertainment center, but I can't fit an iMac into mine (unless I used it instead of a TV, I suppose). It has to be component sized.

Also, Apple is way behind on the PVR stuff. There's about 4 different cards available for wintels, but none for mac. I've always had the hope that this was because Apple was sending out vibes that they were going to standardize the technology into macs and make a consistant - easy as iTunes - interface for it, but so far nothing.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    It would be pretty cool if Apple worked out a deal with Nintendo. Obviously Nintendo is willing, look at the Panasonic GameCube/DVD player they have in Japan. And then we'd finally have a strong Mac presence in the gaming community.

I think it would be a bad move to call it the iBox though, everyone would just think that they were stealing Microsoft's idea.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by nonhuman:

<strong>It would be pretty cool if Apple worked out a deal with Nintendo. Obviously Nintendo is willing, look at the Panasonic GameCube/DVD player they have in Japan. And then we'd finally have a strong Mac presence in the gaming community.

I think it would be a bad move to call it the iBox though, everyone would just think that they were stealing Microsoft's idea.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You mean something like

<a href="http://macgamecube.com/"; target="_blank">this?</a>
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Do you guys remember PIPPIN? It was disasterous, but if you want, we could try it again.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Nixholas:

<strong>Do you guys remember PIPPIN? It was disasterous, but if you want, we could try it again.</strong><hr></blockquote>

But the PiPiN was a 'MAC OS' based console (sound like anything else we know of) what these people are discussing is having 100% compatibility with an allready EXISTING console platform.

The dificulty with GC compatibility (aside from the gme rendering etc) are the disks. Not only are thay a weard format & size they even spin the oposite dirction than normal CD's
  • Reply 8 of 11
    The idea of your computer working throught he TV screen really appeals to me. Why spend money bundling a screen if you have at least one in your home already. High end users get the chioce to get a better quality monitor if they require. + Apple would be able to sell really cool TVs.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Mediaman:

<strong>

The dificulty with GC compatibility (aside from the gme rendering etc) are the disks. Not only are thay a weard format & size they even spin the oposite dirction than normal CD's</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't think this is a big issue. As nonhuman pointed out Panasonic is already producing a version of GC that will play DVDs also.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Waste of money, and time. Apple needs to get its ass in gear over PPC development. It won't do to have a processor in very expensive machines that fails miserably to even keep up with the competition. You can have all the techno-geek doodads you want, it won't amount to a hill of beans if Apples computer business gets flushed down the toilet.

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: Matsu ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>Apple needs to get its ass in gear over PPC development. It won't do to have a processor in very expensive machines that fails miserably to even keep up with the competition. You can have all the techno-geek doodads you want, it won't amount to a hill of beans if Apples computer business gets flushed down the toilet.

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: Matsu ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'd argue almost exactly the opposite. Computers (Macs & PCs) are, for the most part, in an overkill phase right now where the power exceeds the demands of most applications (except games). The best security against the megahertz war is to diversify into devices that aren't valued on the basis of chip speed.

All the features I described above are doable now.