IPOD 30 GIG - reliability in playback of .AIFF files

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I'm thinking getting an ipod to play backing tracks for live shows I do. Does anyone know the AIFF playback quality & reliability? Are there any niggly audio artifacts or skipping problems?

My CD player is dropping in reliability and I want an Ipod anyway, so it seems like the perfect solution.

Also, the docking bay has RCA outs, yeah?

Word.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    moving to digital hub.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    the dock has a mini-jack output, not RCA.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I played some aiff files and didn't notice any AIFF-specific problems. Any problems I get seem to affect all the songs no matter what format.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    666666 Posts: 134member
    Mini jacks aight.

Yo Ebby, what are those problems???

i'm hoping the 30gig wouldn't be less reliable than the 15gig.....
  • Reply 5 of 6
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Original 5 gigs play them fine. At first I was lazy and just filled my iPod with AIFF, used for a month. Played fine. Edit: shorten support on iPods would be GREAT.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    From my other thread:

Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

I believe I found a new problem with the iPod that has not been discussed before. After 3 days of use, (a 30GB model) I noticed that if you press pause/play repeatedly the left and right audio channels will switch (from L-R to R-L). I discovered this by pausing the song accidentally and noticing a difference in my music when it playd again. A little more testing and it does not seem to be anything wrong with the MP3.

I created a sample AIFF file that plays a test tone (1000 Hz) in the left ear for 10 seconds only and converted it to MP3 for the web.Download the Test Tone.MP3 (The same thing happens with AIFF files on the iPod.)

That and the iPod skipps to the next MP3 if it encounters any errors in the file. I had to re-encode my CD collection (5GB 1200 songs!)

But you would still have to pry it from my cold, dead fingers before I give up my iPod.8)