CanoScan LiDE Scanners

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am thinking about getting my wife a CanoScan LiDE 50 printer, which comes out in July:

http://www.usa.canon.com/html/conCpr...&section=10217

I can't fully parse all of the fine print to tell how many of its features work with OS X...does anyone here use the CanoScan LiDE 20 or 30? How do they work for you, do the drivers provide good functionality, etc.?

Anyone with a different recommendation for a lightweight, no power cord USB scanner is welcome as well.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Honestly, the longer my LiDE20 sits here, the less I like it. Sure, it's small and bus-powered. It's also slow, the color is good but the images are a bit fuzzy, the software has most of the features you'd want but it's so poorly made, so hard to install, and the stand-alone version blows chunks (you're supposed to be able to choose apps to link to, like Mail.app but it doesn't recognize OS X app bundles). If the LiDE 50 makes sharper scans, with better noise reduction, you can probably get through the installation woes and avoid the standalone Toolbox software.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    johnrpjohnrp Posts: 357member
    I have a LIDE 20 (uk).

It works fine for a cheep scanner (bus powered). It will not give the results more expensive models will but is good enough.

The only problem I have with it is it dosen't like installing the bundled OCR application in OSX. I had to install it on my PC to use it (only ever needed it once).

j.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    anamacanamac Posts: 80member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrmister

I am thinking about getting my wife a CanoScan LiDE 50 printer, which comes out in July:

http://www.usa.canon.com/html/conCpr...&section=10217

I can't fully parse all of the fine print to tell how many of its features work with OS X...does anyone here use the CanoScan LiDE 20 or 30? How do they work for you, do the drivers provide good functionality, etc.?

Anyone with a different recommendation for a lightweight, no power cord USB scanner is welcome as well.

The LiDE 50 scanner has been out in Europe for awhile, but I don't know anyone who is using one. They are great looking - sleek, slim, and all, but that's not a great reason to choose a scanner! The 50 seems to be nearly the same as the 30, except it uses USB 2, which doesn't really help many Mac users.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Yeah, i am trying to decide between the 30 and the 50, leaning toward the 30 as it is a present and it will count for more if she can actually use it.

Is there an OSX native OCR application now?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I think only OmniPage Pro (as opposed to "SE or SC or whatever) is available for OS X. It costs something like $400.