Apple leaks G5 specs

Comments

• Reply 261 of 1071
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    It is almost believable. But now that I think about it, what if this were a hack? Everyone would be so disappointed. And that hacker..let's hope he doesn't run in to us!
  • Reply 262 of 1071
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Now MacRumors has taken the specs off their site with a note: Removed per the request of Apple. "But we got 'em from your web site."

I wonder if Apple Legal sent the Apple Store a C & D.

macminute still has it up...and i expect that AI will keep them up forever as they seem to like ticking off apple

g
  • Reply 263 of 1071
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Hey Moki - Did apple ask you to remove your snap of the webpage, too?

What happened?

Edit: Oh, here's the link... or at least it used to be: http://www.ambrosiasw.com/webboard/F...ML/001586.html
  • Reply 264 of 1071
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member

Sosumi.

link to your hearts content
  • Reply 265 of 1071
    Another website mentioned the G4 graphic itself also is now different. Apparently the old one had a 80 gig drive and the new one has a 120 gig for the same price. Is it possible they meant to swap that graphic and put up the G5 instead of the slightly updated G4?
  • Reply 266 of 1071
    bandalaybandalay Posts: 116member
    Now to watch how it spreads to the media tonight:

Google News - Apple G5 Specs

1:50: Already has an O'Grady story...
  • Reply 267 of 1071
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

You know, this kind of screw-up really puts Apple in a corner.

There's no "trademarked" image that they can claim violates their copyright, or trade secrets, and send a C&D to sites that display it -- it's just type. But it's set type from their own site, from their own server, which is even more convincing (unless you want to entertain far-fetched conspiracy theories about rogue Mac geniuses hacking the Apple Store).

It's kinda great.

Perhaps they'll try sending out the C&Ds anyway. Or more likely... enter a complete state of denial until Monday afternoon.

Genie, meet Bottle. Bottle, meet Genie... oh, you've already met.
  • Reply 268 of 1071
    bigjbigj Posts: 6member
    This could be what they call a trial balloon. It could definitely excite investing and can help Apple find out what people think before the actual announcement.

Just a thought.
  • Reply 269 of 1071
    tsukuritetsukurite Posts: 192member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lidgar

Now what would really blow me away is if Steve offered up a MDD trade-in program

...it certainly hurts to own one right now, knowing this is coming!

heh, the one time running a G4 450 is a good thing.
  • Reply 270 of 1071
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

It is almost believable. But now that I think about it, what if this were a hack? Everyone would be so disappointed. And that hacker..let's hope he doesn't run in to us!

although the "rock out with yer cock out" specs make we wonder if this was just a hack, wouldn't a hack be done to look as exactly like apple's current pages? i almost feel like the fact that the font is noticeably different (darker, bolded, whatever) makes it more believable.
  • Reply 271 of 1071
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Its gotta be a hack "8Gb of ram"?!?!?!?

come on peoples, this is Apple were talkin about!!!!!

"optical audio" come on - its Apple!!!!

be prepared to be let down!!

. . .(hopin Im wrong though)
  • Reply 272 of 1071
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by UMDirector

Another website mentioned the G4 graphic itself also is now different. Apparently the old one had a 80 gig drive and the new one has a 120 gig for the same price. Is it possible they meant to swap that graphic and put up the G5 instead of the slightly updated G4?

Not according to http://www.apple-history.com/ See here: http://apple-history.com/frames/body...y&model=g4_800
  • Reply 273 of 1071
    bandalaybandalay Posts: 116member
    How exactly did someone spot that anyway? It's pretty subtle...
  • Reply 274 of 1071
    erbiumerbium Posts: 354member
    Check out MacRumors.com

G5 Info removed by Apple Legal!
  • Reply 275 of 1071
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    This mistake could be a fantastic and free advertising for Apple.

With this "error" you can be sure that all the media will take attention of the WWDC.

We have the specs but don't have the case.

I am not so sure that it is an error ...
  • Reply 276 of 1071
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    I be damned... How am I supposed to explain it to my wife? I did not plan to buy a Mac this summer... Oh God! Can anybody credit me? Please, donate a couple of bucks, damn it! Save my soul, I beg you...

Quote:

Originally posted by NEMESIS

What if..just What if..it was fake...talk about creul. How good is akamai's security i mean how hard would it be to breech those servers?

Just relax. First of all, Akamai is a very serious company. Secondly, even though there is nothing impossible, I would have a hard time imagining anyone willing to go to prison only for the sake of entertaining AppleInsider and MacRumors forums.

Back to the topic. Any sponsors?
  • Reply 277 of 1071
    tsukuritetsukurite Posts: 192member
    Quote:

Originally posted by concentricity

although the "rock out with yer cock out" specs make we wonder if this was just a hack, wouldn't a hack be done to look as exactly like apple's current pages? i almost feel like the fact that the font is noticeably different (darker, bolded, whatever) makes it more believable.

Gah! Beat me to it! I was thinking the same thing. Anyone good enough to hack akamai, could probably cobble something together that would look the same.
  • Reply 278 of 1071
    Who knows? Perhaps somebody bought the "fastest" one recently with an 80 gig and now noticed it is 120 gig. They may even be wrong but it was mentioned.
  • Reply 279 of 1071
    mokimoki Posts: 551member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

Hey Moki - Did apple ask you to remove your snap of the webpage, too?

What happened?

Edit: Oh, here's the link... or at least it used to be: http://www.ambrosiasw.com/webboard/F...ML/001586.html

Pre-emptive action on my part. Might as well save Apple Legal some time, they're going to have a busy night...
  • Reply 280 of 1071
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    apple will be on a ****ing roll...

iPods...home run

iTMS...home run

new PM...freakin home run

funny, suddenly the portables are the ones behind...when, so recently, they were the glue holding apple at the forefront...

i expect PB and iBooks to see improvements fast, especially if apple sees sales of PM that are in the insane ball park

iBook goes G4 or g3 gobi

PB gets the 1.2 and 1.4 970 chips

iMac gets 1.2 and 1.4 970 chips too??

suddenly apple has 90% market share...ha

g