Poll: Death to Smoochy

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
OK. When this movie hit the theatres, my initial reaction was to go and see it based on who was in it and the comedic plot. I balked when none of the media retards seemed to have anything good to say about it.

I just saw it on HBO tonight and - maybe I'm just wacked out or something - thought it was basically hilarious. Some cheese, yes...but overall pretty damn funny. Robin Williams was great. Wished I had taped it at this point.

What did you guys think of it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Same. Didn't get around to it though (in the thearters), when I saw the trailers I really wanted to see it. But then never got around to it. Didn't care what the critics said, just lack of time \
  • Reply 2 of 35
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    I saw it because I thought that dark humor was just probably not read right by the critics . . .

but it turned out not just to be a BAD film it turned out to be a REALLY REALLY REALLY BAD film!!!!!

not funny

not original (cliche lines)

Not well acted

and all around very very very terrible

not even horrible just terrible beyond horrible

Though it started out for the first 5 minutes with some jokes that kept me watching

but by the end of the film I knew that there was no humor here . . .
  • Reply 3 of 35
    discocowdiscocow Posts: 603member
    Quote:

"What are you, blind? It's a cock! It's not a rocket, you sick ****! It's a cock! Look. It's a cock and balls! A dick! Chorizo and the huevos! It's a big stiffy! It's a penis! Penis maximus! A willie! A weenie! Mr. Jiggle Daddy! The one-eyed wonder weasel! Don't you see that? It's Jimmy and the twins. Rumple Foreskin. He made this. It's made from dil-dough."

Now how can you not find that funny?

Why do I find it so funny?

Because I have a warped preschool sense of humor that?s why.

and don?t you forget it
  • Reply 4 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by DiscoCow

Now how can you not find that funny?

Why do I find it so funny?

Because I have a warped preschool sense of humor that?s why.

and don?t you forget it

How can YOU FIND THAT FUNNY

its not funny

(well .. .except maybe the rumple foreskin bit)

but really its assinine

it is just dick jokes and you know what? Im too old for that, Im older than 12 and don't find that funny . . . its not titillating to rename the male genitals . . . it might have been when one was still learning language but not anymore . . .

and if I remember, you had to be an adult to get in to see this movie . . .
  • Reply 5 of 35
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    although that reminds me of one of the funniest things i've ever seen in a movie.

it was Porkies, where they're in the office talking about the penis she'd seen, and how she could identify it.

omg, i almost die laughing every time i watch that scene.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    great movie
  • Reply 7 of 35
    rhoqrhoq Posts: 190member
    DEATH TO SMOOCHY was definitely one of the funniest films of 2002 (that and UNDERCOVER BROTHER).

Most of the reviews I had seen/read about DEATH TO SMOOCHY were positive. I bought it the day it came out on DVD and it quickly became one of my favorite movies!
  • Reply 8 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhoq

DEATH TO SMOOCHY was definitely one of the funniest films of 2002 (that and UNDERCOVER BROTHER).

Most of the reviews I had seen/read about DEATH TO SMOOCHY were positive. I bought it the day it came out on DVD and it quickly became one of my favorite movies!

you must be joking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

or, you must be thirteen and not have seen many movies . . .
  • Reply 9 of 35
    zwidazwida Posts: 6member
    Yeah, funny. Very funny. I think it was the wrong combo of dark humor and stupid humor (not to malign stupid humor...) to spark the affection of the critics.

Then again, I find that the more serious my life gets (longer hours, higher mortgage...) the more i can go in for some malicious comedy.

I don't think the fact that critics hated it killed it at the box office. I think the average moviegoing public just didn't get into it. Who knows why these damn films cash in or flop?
  • Reply 10 of 35
    Good god pfflam don?t get your panties in a bunch.

It?s just a movie. Movies. You know those things that people watch for entertainment instead of actually going out and living their lives?

Yeah I know, once in a while one comes along that can actually be a piece of art, one that may ?help us understand our lives better? and pseudo-philosophical garbage like that. But most of the time, movies are for entertainment and time killing.

Death to Smoochy happens to be very good at filling those criteria for me. Yes, you may think it?s less sophisticated than a puppet show written and performed by kids with down syndrome from the local grade school. But that?s your opinion and that?s fine with me.

But just because someone happens to have different tastes than you (mine are insanely eclectic by the way) and can find humor in certain situations or concepts that you can?t, does in no way make them inferior to you. More demented perhaps, but not inferior.

Who knows? Maybe it does.

I mean, who would you rather rescue from a burning building? Me, or pfflam?

The thought is depressing.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by DiscoCow

Good god pfflam don?t get your panties in a bunch.

It?s just a movie. Movies. You know those things that people watch for entertainment instead of actually going out and living their lives?

Yeah I know, once in a while one comes along that can actually be a piece of art, one that may ?help us understand our lives better? and pseudo-philosophical garbage like that. But most of the time, movies are for entertainment and time killing.

Death to Smoochy happens to be very good at filling those criteria for me. Yes, you may think it?s less sophisticated than a puppet show written and performed by kids with down syndrome from the local grade school. But that?s your opinion and that?s fine with me.

oh no, im probably vastly inferior to you

however that doesn't change the fact that Death To Smoochy was a painful turd of a film . . . and I like dark comedy so that has nothing to do with it . .

and I like stupid funny too, like Airplane and any Leslie Neilsen film . . . great stuff and thoroghly stupid . . . . as for this puppet show your talkin about . . . gotsta be bettah than smoochy!
  • Reply 12 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

however that doesn't change the fact that Death To Smoochy was a painful turd of a film . . .

Whatever floats (or in this case: sinks) your boat man.

Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

. . . as for this puppet show your talkin about . . . gotsta be bettah than smoochy!

Hey, maybe I could take you sometime? It can actually be very funny if the lead forgets to take his Ritalin.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    I saw it when it first came out in threaters - I liked it very much.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I agree it was an odd combination of humor "types" if you want to call it that. I think the reason I thought it was so funny was Robin Williams' character. I have never seen him play a cynical, loud-mouthed media type. The Wiggle-daddy thing was funny too but it was more his facial expressions and reactions to seeing Norton's character suceed that I thought were classic.

Norton himself was just OK really. He played the perfect opposite of Williams though, so it's no surprise I didn't find his character to be the humorous one.

I think Williams has some bi-polar action going on in that mind of his and so he can just go from that sinister hyena laugh to pissed off to crying in about 3 seconds and it's just funny as hell to watch the progression I thought.

I'm not trying to say this is up there with the comedy classics: caddyshack, The Holy Grail, etc etc -- but it was pretty damn funny to me for some reason. In looking at the poll results I feel somewhat vindicated thank you very much. Pfflam, I think you should see it again.

• Reply 15 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Pfflam, I think you should see it again.

Guess what the chances of that ever happening are . . .
  • Reply 16 of 35
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I suspect there is a better chance of the Penguins getting funding for a new arena in the next 30 days than there is of you willingly watching Death to Smoochy.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    dual867dual867 Posts: 31member
    In all honesty, this was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. This is only my opinion, of course, but I found it was totally over-acted. Ed Norton did a horrible job as the main character. Playing the pure, always upbeat character was just soooooooo bad. The jokes were ridiculously stupid, to the point of almost being insulting to one's intelligence.

Like I said, this is only my opinion,

-Dual867
  • Reply 18 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dual867

In all honesty, this was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. This is only my opinion, of course, but I found it was totally over-acted. Ed Norton did a horrible job as the main character. Playing the pure, always upbeat character was just soooooooo bad. The jokes were ridiculously stupid, to the point of almost being insulting to one's intelligence.

Like I said, this is only my opinion,

-Dual867

!!

amen brudda
  • Reply 19 of 35
    ashvidashvid Posts: 1member
    I am a film maker and I found it brilliant. For a movie with a small budget they pulled off a lot. For the people calling it childish...uhh...DUH, it was a parody of the kids entertainment business and Ed Norton's character had the innocense of a child... At times it WAS cheesy but it seemed intentional...

People generally dont like dark humor, I love it. DTS was satirical look at an industry just ready for a parody. It was on my top 5 last year. Movies like it can really split a room, same can be said for Wes Anderson flicks...

ash =o)
  • Reply 20 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by ashVID

I am a film maker and I found it brilliant. For a movie with a small budget they pulled off a lot. For the people calling it childish...uhh...DUH, it was a parody of the kids entertainment business and Ed Norton's character had the innocense of a child... At times it WAS cheesy but it seemed intentional...

People generally dont like dark humor, I love it. DTS was satirical look at an industry just ready for a parody. It was on my top 5 last year. Movies like it can really split a room, same can be said for Wes Anderson flicks...

ash =o)

I too am a film maker . . .and teacher . . and your 'brilliant' reversal, revealing the ever so subtle 'irony' of taking children's programing and making a 'satiric' dark comedy about it is trite, facile, and thoroghly lacking in sophistication . . . just like that hunk-O-turd movie!!!

What 'films' do you make?

What genre?

Where are they screened?

What sort of viewing do you find necessary for a filmmaker?

because, if any of my colleugues told me that they found Smoochy even remotely decent I would lose respect for them as producers!!!! They would be rightly laughed out of the community.

Its CRAP!!

See it again . . . I dare you!!!

I can't belive that anyone voted positively for this film:

it was the only film that was truly painful for me to watch all last year . . . painful due to its juvenile, sophmoric attempts at being cutting edge through "dark" humour (something that was trendy two years ago with such also bad films as "Bad Things Happen" (I think that was the title)) it was a terrible film. . . unoriginal GARBAGE

and not just subjectively, no, it was OBJECTIVELY BAD !!!! -

ITS NOT JUST OPINION . . . scientific studies have shown: "a really bad film" -well known Research Scientist

The only film that I can think of that was worse than this, off the top of my head, was Simon Birch . . .