The how much your Power Mac will be worth on Monday thread

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Any guesses on your hardware?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Does the 15" 800MHz iMac w/ SuperDrive count? I think I should seriously consider getting rid of it before it drops to triple digits.

512MB RAM

60GB hard drive

Speakers

SuperDrive

OS X 10.2.6

15" display

800MHz

etc.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    shi...im just about to ebay my 8500/1200 plus 21" radius monitor, opening bid $50

• Reply 3 of 19
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

shi...im just about to ebay my 8500/1200 plus 21" radius monitor, opening bid $50

My PowerMac G4 350 has been begging retirement. This time I'm keeping it though, I wish i had kept my Mac LC and my Performa 6360. I miss those old friends. Imagine powering up my PowerMac G4 350 18 years from now!!!! Whaaaaa. Wish I had my Mac LC just to go on a memory lane ride.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    The computer itself: about $20

The accessories: probably about $1k
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Actually, the folks on ebay won't even notice for like two weeks after the announcement... so you can still get top dollar there

Just ask Murray, he'll be selling his G4 for like the cost of a new 970, I'm sure....
  • Reply 6 of 19
    jidanjidan Posts: 4member
    any ideas what this might be worth?

G4 Quicksilver 733

768 MB RAM

140 GB HD space (one 60, one 80) seagate barracuda VI

everything else in it is stock..

pricing?
  • Reply 7 of 19
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jidan

any ideas what this might be worth?

G4 Quicksilver 733

768 MB RAM

140 GB HD space (one 60, one 80) seagate barracuda VI

everything else in it is stock..

pricing?

I have a similar setup with a little more ram and I would be happy getting $500 for it. (monitor not included).
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

I have a similar setup with a little more ram and I would be happy getting $500 for it. (monitor not included).

you've got to be kidding me... (monitor not included as well)..

but.. $500 USD... sh!t... i paid $4500 NZD just under 2 years ago.. and now you're saying i can get about $1000 NZD... oh man
  • Reply 9 of 19
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

but.. $500 USD... sh!t... i paid $4500 NZD just under 2 years ago.. and now you're saying i can get about $1000 NZD... oh man

Traditionally, computer equipment depreciates quickly. You complain about the resale value of your 2 year old machine. However, at 3-4 years you may have a hard time selling it at all. That does not mean it is valueless - these computers often can still do most or all of what you really need to do.

It is just that those who are going to buy a computer think that if they are going to spend any money at all, they might as well buy something current.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    let's see. powermac g3/350. hmmm. i think i would have to pay someone to take it from me. which i'd be more than glad to do, if i could afford to buy a new g5x2/2GHz. hopefully the 1.8 will be close to 1500, and maybe i can grab it then. (time to get a mortgage... first, i gotta find a bank willing to give me a mortgage on a house i don't own...)
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

My PowerMac G4 350 has been begging retirement. This time I'm keeping it though, I wish i had kept my Mac LC and my Performa 6360. I miss those old friends. Imagine powering up my PowerMac G4 350 18 years from now!!!! Whaaaaa. Wish I had my Mac LC just to go on a memory lane ride.

Hehe ya old macs are super!

I still have my first Mac, an LC 520. It now runs as my juke box in my room. (it plays ripped CDs off a Jaz drive and is 10 years old)

I also just picked up a free LC III. System 7 never looked better.

lets see well value wise... for my 68k macs: $0.00 (plus S&H)

I'm due for a new Mac... G5 TiBook Here I come!
  • Reply 12 of 19
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Quote:

Yeah, well. I paid $1200 for it and I can't see getting anywhere near that once the G5 1600s (dual?) come out. I don't think I'm crazy, just realistic.... then again, there's a sucker born everyday. Just hope he's in the market for a used Powermac.

Edit: I was saying G5 1.6ghz because I think this will be the lowend (cheapest) priced around $1500.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Jidan mate, dont panic! The NZ mac market is very small but people are willing to pay market value for good macs. If its in good condition, put it in the Trade and Exchange and wait. Sell it as a photoshop or video editing rig (and forget about Ebay NZ, it suxx0rz!) Or if you are willing to pay postage try selling it in Australia, the exchange rate works for you there (or here in the UK, a loaded quicksliver like that might go for £800 if you are lucky)

Theres always a way.......
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Thereubster

Jidan mate, dont panic! The NZ mac market is very small but people are willing to pay market value for good macs. If its in good condition, put it in the Trade and Exchange and wait. Sell it as a photoshop or video editing rig (and forget about Ebay NZ, it suxx0rz!) Or if you are willing to pay postage try selling it in Australia, the exchange rate works for you there (or here in the UK, a loaded quicksliver like that might go for £800 if you are lucky)

Theres always a way.......

thanks for the comforting words mate... i am not sure if i'll bother selling it anymore.. i'd still need to pony up more cash to afford a G5 anyway..

cheers
  • Reply 15 of 19
    15" 800MHz iMac w/ SuperDrive

512MB RAM

60GB hard drive

Speakers

SuperDrive

OS X 10.2.6

15" display

800MHz

32 MB Geforce 2MX

$700???
  • Reply 16 of 19
    malokatamalokata Posts: 197member
    I think my seventeen incher should stay aloft for at least another few months.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Last time I checked, iMacs went roughly for a buck per MHz in Moscow. On the Black Monday? things will change greatly. I guess my iMac 450 with 256 MB RAM will cost $100-150 tomorrow.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Pity me - 500mhz Pismo.

However, I'm getting a new computer before September. So maybe you won't have to pity me for long.

Only problem is... before all this G5 hype, I was set on a laptop, but now a desktop is looking more appealing... but I wouldn't be able to go and work in the common room or library with one... I hate making decisions.

Amorya
  • Reply 19 of 19
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    It will tak a bit of time for prices to drop, i think, for a number of reasons, but once the G5's are flowing in with minimal wait, PM's should drop rapidly.

I'm currently offering 500USD for anyone who wants to unload their DP PM of Dual 1Ghz or better vintage.