NO G5/PPC970 for WWDC

Comments

• Reply 41 of 186
    jmoneyjmoney Posts: 133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

JMoney,

While I don't mean for this to come out the wrong way... Here is what you are expecting people to believe...

1 - The Apple Store web site (run directly from CA I'm sure) messing up and posting G5 specs wasn't anything and instead a G5/970 will not show up at WWDC at all.

2 - Some unnamed employee who has a (sales I assume) job for an Apple store in MA (located about as far away from Apples corp. office as you can get but still be in the US) tells you that the G5/970 isn't gonna happen but instead 'something even better' but can't tell you exactly what..

Can you see why people here just might have a hard time NOT assuming what you posted was just a big joke?

Dave

All I'm saying is this. I spoke with my friend who works for an Apple Store in Mass. he said that on Friday a new system came in, and it was not a PPC970, but would not tell me what it is because he and the rest of the employees signed NDAs. Again, I don't care if people don't believe me, and I also have no explanation for the "g5 leak", i'm just as skeptical as the next apple nut
  • Reply 42 of 186
    Quote:

Originally posted by JMoney

All I'm saying is this. I spoke with my friend who works for an Apple Store in Mass. he said that on Friday a new system came in, and it was not a PPC970, but would not tell me what it is because he and the rest of the employees signed NDAs. Again, I don't care if people don't believe me, and I also have no explanation for the "g5 leak", i'm just as skeptical as the next apple nut

Apple and OSX on Intel? LOL
  • Reply 43 of 186
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    (if you are not fooling with us)

next time you talk to him just say his name. pause. then say the word "intel"

btw ibm people are all set to give a press conf. after the steve note so apple is shipping a g5. now the surprise may be intel for the $600 - $1600 price range and g5 above that but apple is going to announce the g5 on monday at the very least....

(hey apple exec we i saw you mentioned intel too after the post. great minds must think alike and by chaves raveen do you mean you are a dodger fan?)
  • Reply 44 of 186
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    okay, fine. then if those are all the details you have, then let it go, and be confident enough in the quality of your source that the info is legit.

then just tune in monday afternoon/evening and tell us all you told us so (though the statement is so vague, you could theoretically lay claim to anything -- if steve comes out with an apple-branded vegematic, you'd technically still be right).

but constant recycling of your orginal statement isn't helping things.
  • Reply 45 of 186
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    IBM is going to host a talk (regarding new cpu) in the conference right after the keynote.

If there isn't a 970 why IBM is there?
  • Reply 46 of 186
    It's gonna be Intel Itanium. Intel Execs have been spotted at at least one of Steve's Keynotes. There is nothing else on which Apple and Intel could work on except possibly USB 2.0 but that's old news.
  • Reply 47 of 186
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Look, if your friend is as you described him, he is not in a position to know anything. So a system comes into a store. It is not a 970-based system. Does that mean that it is the only thing that will be introduced on Monday? Does that mean that other systems have not gone into other stores that are 970-based systems? Does it even mean that nothing came in when your friend was out? The problem that you story has is that even if I accept all of your factual information as true, I cannot put any stock in your conclusions. I don't believe it, but your conclusions may indeed be correct. However, you have presented zero information to support them.
  • Reply 48 of 186
    So what if Moki's mysterious "Wrong W" post refered not to "when" but to "Who?"

Could it have anything to do with Q6 and blackrider? I know people have pretty much figured this is the xserve--but I have a feeling Apple still has a few suprises for us.
  • Reply 49 of 186
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Quote:

I'm not how to explain it in any plainer english.. No iBook, no PPC970.. that's what I'm running with

You better be running far from here come Monday!!

Hint: Apple Retail Employees know as much as we do.
  • Reply 50 of 186
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Quote:

How bout this scenario...

Let's say you are NOT pulling our legs and playing off of people's excitement. let's say what you are saying is true which is basically putting on a website that is viewed from all over the world the State in which your friend works at said Apple Store (starting right there, If I were your friend I would be pissed) but lets say that you are honestly passing info along. Well than could it then be perceived that this is maybe something 'else' that will be introduced along with the PPC970? There is no way an employee of an Apple Store in Mass would know FOR CERTAIN that Apple is NOT announcing a G5 on Monday. Would it be fair to assume this?

You come across in this thread so damn concrete in knowing that there is no PPC970 when in reality what you are saying is that there is something at the Apple Stores that isn't a 970, isn't an iBook or laptop for that matter but something completely different.

My point? Take a look at the title of your thread and ask yourself if that really represents what you are passing along here.
  • Reply 51 of 186
    bill mbill m Posts: 324member
    I keep reading posts around here stating that IBM will be at Apple's WWDC presenting something right after Steve Jobs keynote address. Anyone care to post a link to the original info?

Also, assuming the leaked specs are true, what are the chances for the new processor being other than IBM's 970?
  • Reply 52 of 186
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bill M

Also, assuming the leaked specs are true, what are the chances for the new processor being other than IBM's 970?

Zero.
  • Reply 53 of 186
    Fricken killjoys

Ur argument for the release of an alternative product is as compelling as YO MOMMA.

But I guess this is temporary insanity so anything goes...
  • Reply 54 of 186
    Quote:

So you can't tell us anything because you want to protect your source, but then you tell the world that he works at one of three particular Apple retail stores and is under NDA. Good job.
  • Reply 56 of 186
    bill mbill m Posts: 324member
    Thanks for the info keyboardf12 and Ensign Pulver.

I am also trying to track down another link where it is stated that 2.0ghz+ 970 chips have been in production for sometime now. Who knows, maybe for the first time in recent history, Apple will anounce and have their new computers available then and there.
  • Reply 57 of 186
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    So kids at the Apple stores are signing NDA's, hope they have some good attorneys.
  • Reply 58 of 186
    erbiumerbium Posts: 354member
    I'm just waiting for JMoney to come back on and say...

JUST KIDDING! HAHAH...

<slap>
  • Reply 59 of 186
    erbiumerbium Posts: 354member
    I wouldn't believe a word this guys is saying.

I mean seriously.

- It's been 4 years since the intro of the G4.

- It's time for Apple to announce the G5. (Their tower sales have been sliding)

- Apple accidently released G5 specs.

- Boxes have been arriving at stores.

- The PPC 970 is the only logical CPU that could be used in future Apple hardware.

- Anyway.. we'll soon know the truth...
  • Reply 60 of 186
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    Quote:

He's a friend that works for an Apple Store in Mass. Here's what I could squeeze out of him...

It's not going to be a PPC970. And I'm pretty damn sure it's not the 15" Powerbook. He said that it's nothing that anyone's expecting. And he's pretty sure that they will not be available immediately. He did say though, no PPC970/G5. I could care less who believes me, I just thought I'd contribute some info since I think I have some..

It is very possible that the PPC970 Won't be shipping from WWDC. It is very possible that what is in those boxes is another iLife Device. However, I'm sure the PPC970 WILL be announced on Monday. Just think what would happen to Apple if they didn't release it...