NO G5/PPC970 for WWDC

Comments

• Reply 61 of 186
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bigc

So kids at the Apple stores are signing NDA's, hope they have some good attorneys.

There is absolutely no way in Hell that Apple would tell the regular sales staff anything that would require a seperate NDA. The store managers perhaps, but if Jmoney's "source" is a store manager then he won't be for long.
  • Reply 62 of 186
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

There is absolutely no way in Hell that Apple would tell the regular sales staff anything that would require a seperate NDA. The store managers perhaps, but if Jmoney's "source" is a store manager then he won't be for long.

Well if what he is saying is true, I'm guessing it has nothing to do with information handed down. It probably has more to do with somebody in that Apple Store opening one of the packages.

I'm not saying this guy knows anything, but I wouldn't be suprised if this was something Apple did. I mean if there are announcing the PowerMac G5/970 Monday you would think that Apple wouldn't want to ship them out to stores right away. 3 years of development and BAM! Some kid can steal all the thunder by posting pictures and complete details.

I also wouldn't be suprised if the Powermacs aren't ready to ship yet. After all very rarely has Apple ever shipped something right out the door.

In theory it all makes sense, except for the German company claiming to have looked at the G5
  • Reply 63 of 186
    Just the fact that this topic is at the top of TI shows that people are really freaked about the possibility of a no show for the G5's...theyre coming so get psyched!
  • Reply 64 of 186
    I got word, indirectly mind you, that we'll see the 970s monday. It is possible that it was something bigger than a powermac, but I don't think that was the case (pun intended.) Either way, from what I understand, we'll be seeing fast new chips Monday. Most likely in the form of PowerMacs, with the duals not immediately available. But I could very well be totally wrong.
  • Reply 65 of 186
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

It is very possible that the PPC970 Won't be shipping from WWDC. It is very possible that what is in those boxes is another iLife Device. However, I'm sure the PPC970 WILL be announced on Monday. Just think what would happen to Apple if they didn't release it...

True, true. Maybe the Q6 is some sort of media device developed by Apple and Philips which runs OS X?
  • Reply 66 of 186
    Even if there are no G5 / 970's available right after the keynote, they will be demo-ed and THEY WILL SHIP soon.

No one freak out yet please. Only be excited because on the off chance this guy is right something else cool has to be in those boxes...
  • Reply 67 of 186
    geekmeetgeekmeet Posts: 107member
    ok....

since people are posting their wacky theories about what we will see monday.........

maybe he right.....maybe these arent IBM 970 chips but in fact

"GOBI" chips?

ive gleaned from other rumour boards that this "GOBI" chip that has altivec built-in will range from 1.4-2ghz!

and have a FSB IN THE 400-450 mhz range.

it seems crazy even to me but what if its true?

even ARCHITOSH alluded to the possiblity that what was holding faster chips back was in fact apples contract with motorola.

anyways..........

maybe this is a entirely new line of apple computers.

its a possibility.

also the article i read said that apple would have the 970 chips in may and that they would be in the 1.4-2.5 ghz range!!

we will see but i think apple will blow us all away monday.

this "mysterious" posting of specs on apples website is very fishy to me.

also the job posting for webmaster right after?

i really think steve is messing with our heads fellas.

• Reply 68 of 186
    gamblorgamblor Posts: 446member
    JMoney's right ON the money. Think bunnies. Vorpal bunnies. Mark my words...
  • Reply 69 of 186
    bill mbill m Posts: 324member
    I certainly hope something revolutionary as those leaked specs come out this monday. I have invited a couple of Mac friends and 3 PC friends (including my bro) to watch the keynote via satellite TV. I originally thought that a first glance at Panther features would be good enough for a great show, but now I won't settle for less than a "shock and awe" new hardware presentation.
  • Reply 70 of 186
    shaktaishaktai Posts: 157member
    What we know:

* That boxes of possibly 2 sizes are being shipped to Apple retailers all over the world

* That Steve will introduce Panther

* That Apple needs faster CPU and system architecture and Motorola isn't delivering.

* That Steve loves surprises and options.

* That Steve is more then a little pissed with Motorola.

* That there will be a whole lot of developer types at WWDC

* That someone will post something somewhere in an Apple rumor forum on Monday, that they are fed up with Apple and are going to switch to windows because XYZ wasn't announced. (Or maybe its ABC, I get the two confused.)

What we suspect

* That Apple will use the IBM 970 chip.

* That Panther is 64 bit

* That use of the IBM 970 in G5 Macs will be mentioned and that finished machines will be introduced, even if not immediatly available.

* That the G5 Mac will kick ass.

* That Steve will have surprises for us, even beyond the 970 based G5 PowerMacs. (did I mention he loves surprises and options?)

* That one or more of those surprises may be those mysterious boxes that have been delivered.

What I am personally confident of.

* The sun will rise somewhere

* That I will be at work when all this happens

* That I didn't win this weekends lottery, and will have to wait a little longer to buy a new computer, no matter what.
  • Reply 71 of 186
    gamblorgamblor Posts: 446member
    Quote:

ive gleaned from other rumour boards that this "GOBI" chip that has altivec built-in will range from 1.4-2ghz!

and have a FSB IN THE 400-450 mhz range.

For this to be true, the leaked specs would be:

1.6-2.0GHz-- RIGHT.

1GHz bus-- WRONG.

8GB RAM-- WRONG (the Gobi's still a 32bit chip).

That's only one out of three. If the 970 is released, then all three are possible. (8GB is still possible, if IBM "borrows" 36 bit addressing from the 7400...)
  • Reply 72 of 186
    erbiumerbium Posts: 354member
    News.com, MacCentral, Every Mac Rumor site, SlashDot, The Register, and like every single bulletin board has been talking about the G5!

All I can say, is if Apple doesn't announce G5's on Monday, there's going to be a riot.
  • Reply 73 of 186
    I think the funniest thing about the job post at apple right away was the fact that the very first thing in job requirements was "responsible to update images on Apple's website..."
  • Reply 74 of 186
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Sounds like b.s. to me... but then again, it could be an anniversary mac cube.
  • Reply 75 of 186
    mokimoki Posts: 551member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chef ramen noodle

that powerperch thing is sweet

but how the **** do they know the dimensions? did they design it around dontask's thing? LOL

The same guy also runs MacWhispers.com, which appears to publish nonsense rumours in an effort to gain eyeballs (it features advertisements from his other companies, such as MacMice.com). Sad.

Read about his transgressions here: http://www.macintouch.com/mactable.html

Oh, here he is, btw:

• Reply 76 of 186
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Sorry to spam multiple threads with this post, but it's germane to all of them.

Mac Rumors says G5s only prototypes now, prices higher.

"Recent information suggests that the machines will not see full availability until at least August. In fact, machines are said to be in prototype form at this time. The new machines are also said to be at higher price points than the towers they are replacing."

I still think we'll be able to order them starting tomorrow as per the Apple Store leak. What's in the boxes then?

Jesus, could Jmoney actually be right?
  • Reply 77 of 186
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    Hmmm.

Relax guys. After the 'leak', we KNOW the 'G5' is coming. When? Does it REALLY matter? Now? A month from now? re:Apple? 2-3 months before famine becomes non-issue. I feel confident that they'd show us a 'G5' on a 'Panther'. So what if it takes 1/2/3 months to finally show in quantity? It will just be such a relief to finally have something to kick Pentium 4 arse with.

So. Let's say 'something else' is in 'those boxes'. That's a bonus in my eyes.

ie we get 'mystery object' in addition to a 'G5' at some point.

Yeah. Apple may 'bump' the prices on the towers...initially. That anything new? Apple have always been a 'good times/bad times' company. That's why they don't get growth. Hopefully recent tower cuts and more thinking 'out the box' will move Apple to their 10% growth target.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 78 of 186
    JMoney could very well be right. The could very well be NO G5 on monday. I mean, what do we really know...?! the "leak" could mean many things. btw, has the current Power Macs been EOL'ed?

I also think that Apple should have sent out a deconfirmation yesterday. They didn't, but that doesn't mean we will see the G5 on monday. Apple has made PR mistakes in past too or maybe they have other reasons...

Fact is: WE KNOW NOTHING CONCRETE YET!

So better be prepared for a dissappointment monday...a BIG one
  • Reply 79 of 186
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    It seems nothing gets EOLed anymore. The minute something does, a million reseller bunny slaves post that a particular product has been. Which is why I guess Apple doesn't EOL stuff anymore.

Barto
  • Reply 80 of 186
    marcusmarcus Posts: 227member
    I will be very, very surprised if the G5 doesn't break cover on Monday... if it doesn't, and Steve takes to the stage, choosing not to broadcast from a secure bunker in the Cheyenne Mountain range, lives could be lost...

I think we have to realise that the alleged 'leak' was not from a rumor site, it was Apple! for gods sake! Not from a employee who is someones brothes sister flatmate... The specs would just not 'appear' on their server...

Also the IBM guys will be at the WWDC for a reason...

However, I doubt we will see the machines shipping for a month or 2, especially the 'Maczilla' dual monster.

Peace,

Marc