Why there will be no Keynote Stream from Apple

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

Well they sure don't need one now.

I disagree. How many people who have seen the news are now chomping at the bit to see how Steve plays this?
  • Reply 22 of 44
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I still want one. I want to see panther, and the PowerMacs, or whatever is coming.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    snofsnof Posts: 98member
    I hope they don't have a stream.

My reason is simple, I have jury duty monday morning, so no matter what I won't be able to see it. So if I can't watch, no one should! :-)

Civic resonsibility my ass! I've got apple news to follow!
  • Reply 24 of 44
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    My guess is a stream *will* be available, though it may not be advertised...

It only makes sense to reach press and developers who may not have access to a dish, Apple Store or the actual event.
  • Reply 25 of 44
    johanjohan Posts: 6member
    in case this hasn't been linked elsewhere:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/wwdc03/
  • Reply 26 of 44
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Well, my predicition above was partially true. A Quicktime replay the same day. Again check MSNBC.com on Moday for live stream possiblity.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johan

in case this hasn't been linked elsewhere:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/wwdc03/

Thank you MUCHO!

despite being a replay
  • Reply 28 of 44
    salmonstksalmonstk Posts: 568member
    Perhaps Steve Leaked the G5 specs to get people in the Apple Stores to watch the Keynote and buy!
  • Reply 29 of 44
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I don't think luring people to stores with an exclusive webcast is a good business model. When your customers are willing to watch an advertisement, why not let them?

Who knows what the figure is, but I'd bet that 99% of customers cannot make it to an apple store for the event. They are either not that interested, actually work a day job, or don't live near an apple store.

If I recall correctly, all recent WWDC keynotes have been made available, on-demand, on the afternoon of the keynote. (Since the days of rhapsody)

Exclusive live events at apple stores would be a waste of money even if Apple garnered a few additional impulse sales. National ad campaigns cost tens of millions if not hundreds of millions of dollars. Yet, webcasts of these keynotes routinely set bandwidth records and make the evening news and morning papers. The keynote is being taped and Apple already has a fairly cost effective method of distribution. It would be plain stupid not to allow customers to watch an advertisement that costs this much to produce.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by salmonstk

Perhaps Steve Leaked the G5 specs to get people in the Apple Stores to watch the Keynote and buy!

really, the imac canadian leak worked so well they tweaked the concept for this.

"let's "accidentally" leak the specs for twenty minutes in the middle of the night a few days before the keynote to churn up all those excitable boys"

BRILLIANT!
  • Reply 31 of 44
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    My conspiracy theory still holds up.
  • Reply 32 of 44
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Could the fact that the keynote is not live be a sop to the press to give them a slightly exclusive story? If it is not web-cast live then the press has more incentive to carry this story.
  • Reply 33 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

My conspiracy theory still holds up.

Yes Fran, it does. Apple is obviously setting a precedent of forcing us into stores to see product introductions. Sounds like immediate availability to me.

See my post above for more extensive justification.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    So Fran, you buying one or what?

P.S. Youre a smart guy!8)
  • Reply 35 of 44
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    I'm going to the Apple Store on Monday, but I'm definately leaving the credit card behind.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    marcusmarcus Posts: 227member
    Good strategy, especially if they have immediate availabity... it would be a great strategy if Apple had Applestores outside the US where people could watch it and buy as well...

In the UK we have a conglomeration of tin sheds and cowboys who call themselves exclusive Mac Dealer or Applecentres. Or we have to depend on department stores to get kit!! Most, if not all, sites share sales space with PCs... It is no wonder Apple don't increase market share here when the retail side is such a shambles...

I'm hoping for a MSNBC boradcast... or I'll listen to te audio stream here: mac-tv.de
  • Reply 37 of 44
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Marcus

In the UK we have a conglomeration of tin sheds and cowboys who call themselves exclusive Mac Dealer or Applecentres

Some UK AppleCentres are better than others. Take AppleCentre Glasgow and AppleCentre Edinburgh for example, they sell Apple exclusively and make an excellent job of it.
  • Reply 38 of 44
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    It's not just customers outside of the US which can't attend. The majority of americans don't live close enough to make attendance feasible. In pittsburgh, I'd have to drive 6 hours one way to get to the closest apple store... I suspect exclusive live broadcasts are done for other reasons than to promote impulse buys at brick and mortor apple stores.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    carlcarl Posts: 17member
    Guys an update from on site at Moscone West today.. the same large truck they have for MWSF streams every year is sitting out on the side of the building. It has a different paint scheme this year from last MWSF blue versus black but it is the truck they do the video switching and I believe the webcast from. It also has Apple security between it and the rear entrance of the building. Who knows but you may yet get a live webcast. BTW the new building is awesome looking, hope they host MWSF there this year.8)
  • Reply 40 of 44
    wyntirwyntir Posts: 88member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

Mall cops around the country were caught off guard today, as thousands of Mac loyalists lined up before dawn to cram into Apple Retail Stores nationwide to watch a live satellite broadcast of Apple CEO Steve Jobs introducing the company's new line of Power Macintosh G5 computers. With the surprise announcement of immediate availability, happy riots broke out as cheering Mac heads pounced on the few precious boxes as they were wheeled triumphantly from their back room hiding place.

"I couldn't believe it when they actually brought out the G5 boxes and people started diving on them. I'm so stoked I got mine!" said one elated shopper who had shown up at 5 AM. "I was just hoping to get a good seat for the show, I had no idea I'd be coming home with a new computer."

"We've never seen it so crazy here, and that's saying something" said the managers of Apple stores in Ohio, Arizona and Florida.

At the Glendale Galleria, security personal were bemused. "I remember when the store opened here two years ago", said one mall employee. "I couldn't believe people were here before sunrise then, but this G5 thing seems like even a bigger deal. I must have seen 100 big boxes go out the door in the first hour."

Though not webcast as past Apple events have been, live updates on Mac websites and message boards kept those not lucky enough to be near a store well informed. Tapping long pent up demand for faster professional machines, online orders are reportedly already very strong...

Fooking brilliant. You, sir, get a gold star. Just reading that fake news story makes me want to buy a damn G5. Garrrrr to be not a poor college boy.