Gambling allowed? Post your final predictions

bihbih
Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The day of reckoning is nearly upon us. Post your final predictions, clearly spelled out, and the person who's post comes closest to the actual events of this all-important Monday wins my deepest love and admiration. And my 5 bucks. Moderators are disqualified, but get to decide who wins. Let the games begin.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    bihbih Posts: 44member
    1. Big server type machine that comes with 5-10 'thin clients', that are just keyboard/lcd/airportcards.

2. Panther, but it doesn't look like the leaked screens from last night.

3. G5's

4. New DevTools :-)
  • Reply 2 of 40
    erbiumerbium Posts: 354member
    - New G5's (with specs released on the Apple Store)

- OS 10.3 Announced. Shipping Sept.

- New look displays

That's all I'm counting on... Anything more might be pushing it for a dev conference.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    *New Processors Released (might not ship for a while) based around the 970

*Panther (obviously)

*New iDevice, shipping monday, will take advantage of inkwell in OS X

*New iPod hardware for home audio

*1 New iApp (iLife type) Application will be released.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    i, fredi, fred Posts: 125member
    1.6 GHz G5 Powermac $1699 available 'immediately' (one month or so)

1.8 GHz G5 Powermac $2199 available '3-4 weeks' (2-3 months)

2x2.0 GHz G5 Powermac $2999 available '6-8 weeks' (3+ months)

public beta of 64-bit OS X
  • Reply 5 of 40
    spcmsspcms Posts: 407member
    Public Lynching of Web guy.

Oh, and the G5 of course, with Panter and double processors shipping by September.

New displays.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    gnomgnom Posts: 85member
    Quote:

Originally posted by I, Fred

I second that, 'specially the announced vs. real shipping dates.

cheers.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    Quote:

Double the "real" shipping dates for across the pond \
  • Reply 8 of 40
    Quote:

I agree pretty much but I have a feeling the prices will be higher.

Pure guess though. Hopefully I'm wrong.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    Quote:

Something like that.

Maybe an iDevice of somekind?

Enterprise niceties? X-grid type stuff? X-Station with even higher mhz? Uber Workstation? Alliance with IBM announced in the formal? 'X' on IBM servers?

Support for an 'next gen' 'x86' chip?

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 10 of 40
    michaelbmichaelb Posts: 242member
    Specific predictions:

1. Developer Preview of Mac OS X 10.3 Panther, many new state of the art OS features, complete system overhaul fully optimized for 64-bit, revised interface, take the preview home today "to start writing great 64-bit apps", release version shipping in Fall 2003.

2. iChat with video-conferencing, intended for use with:

3. Apple branded video webcam, named "iSight"

4. Power Mac G5 series, 1.6, 1.8, dual 2.0, shipping throughout July, configured as standard with Mac OS X 10.2.7 (Sméagol), but "really take off with 10.3 Panther"

5. One more thing... the 15" PowerBook (pause for effect) G5. Aluminum-styling, 15.4 inch LCD, AirPort Extreme/Bluetooth built-in, 1.2 GHz PowerPC G5

General predictions:

- Panther will be slightly mispronounced Panthwire.

- The word "phenomenal" will be used 7 times. (Per minute.)

- Steve will use the sentence "you may have heard something about this" when introducing the Power Mac G5 series.

- Steve will receive a standing ovation at the end, just after his One More Thing announcement.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    addendum to above:

SJ will bring us up to date on the success of the iTMS.

He'll announce that one million iPods have been sold.

He'll state that iTMS for Windows is on track for the end of the year.

then.... some of the stuff mentioned.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Quote:

Originally posted by michaelb

5. One more thing... the 15" PowerBook (pause for effect) G5. Aluminum-styling, 15.4 inch LCD, AirPort Extreme/Bluetooth built-in, 1.2 GHz PowerPC G5

If that happens...
  • Reply 13 of 40
    I agree with the previously stated prices a shipping dates. And I'd love it if Panther were a public beta not just a dev beta. Although I disagree with SJs mangling of Panther. He won't pronounce it panthwire but rather Panthware. And now I delve into my addled mess of a brain trying to recall some odd concept that will turn out to SJs show stopper. There was a concept from Apple for a product the had a base unit that you could attach further units to add functionality. It was described as a shelf that you add books to. Something like that. It was discussed in AI a while ago so if anyone has a better memory than I do....feel free to explain cohesively as my description is bordering on useless. And SJ will announce that the entire Pro line will be migrating to the 970 while the consumer line will migrate to the altivec enabled G3s.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    A riot, since the G5 wont be released.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I think Steve will get more than one standing O.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    /\ldie/\ldie Posts: 70member
    - Steve goes on stage, welcomes the crowd. 'We have a busy show today with a lot of things to cover so lets get started.'

- Blah blah about ITMS and iPod. '.. has been a HUGE succes for Apple, 5 million songs sold, 1 million iPods.' Announcement of ITMS going to Europe.

- Panther preview. Rewritten finder, dynamic filesystem, livesearching ala iTunes, new dock features, new ichat with videoconferencing, slightly altered aqua. Developers get a free copy of the beta.

- Apple branded webcam codename iNteract released to go with new ichat.

- Steve gets his 7th bottle of water. takes pause. builds exitement.

- Powermac G5 released. Low end available now, middle, dual gig highend later. specs as leaked.

- IBM onstage. Lot of talk about the 970 chip, its advantages and potential.

- Quark onstage. blahblah about Quark 6

- Adobe onstage. Announcement of Indesign 3, Photoshop 8, fully optimized for Panther and G5. Coming Q4

- .Mac update (more icards!!!)

- no new powerbook.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    1. Steve comes out and immediately begins recapping... millions of iTunes downloads... new iPods have carried sales above 1 Million units... iLife, Switch, and retail have been huge successes in recruiting consumer buyers... but...

2. Things have been a little sluggish in the pro market, he admits... something, believe it or not, Apple is aware of, and has been working on... Let me show you a video...

3. Lights dim... familiar music theme starts... and, surprisingly, a very familiar TV commercial grows into motion on the gigantic screen: the Snail commercial from 1998!

4. Lights come up. Steve says, "You know, I really enjoyed those days, didn't you? Well, after five years of struggle, I have some good news for all of you, today: Those days are back."

5. Panther. The first fully 64-bit enabled consumer desktop operating system. Enjoy!

6. What good would a 64-bit operating system be without 64-bit hardware?

7. Introducing the new PPC 970 powered Power Mac G5 and Powerbook G5. Single processor versions available today from the Apple online store. Dual PowerMacs coming in July.

8. One ungodly lovefest/demo follows where Panther is run in all its screaming glory on a dual 2Ghz PPC 970 Power Mac G5... concluding with the biggest smiling Phil Schiller we've ever seen running the Photoshop bakeoff of all bakeoffs: the 2.0GHz Dually kicking the ass of a top of the line 3.2Ghz P4 Dell... by a factor of over 2 to 1... **scalding** the Pentium system... Then, just for giggles, Steve suggests that people might want to see the same test with the now available single processor Power Mac. So, Phil runs it again with the single processor G5 and, though it's a lot closer than with the dually, that PowerMac wins the bakeoff as well, by a convincing margin of about 20%.

9. Steve says he has one more thing he wants to show before closing... the new Power Mac TV commercial. Down go the lights. Up comes the coolest remake of the Snail commercial you've ever imagined... "Our apologies to the Pentium 4... but, the Power Macintosh G5..." ...

........all this from the mind (?) of MacWhispers.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    flippyflippy Posts: 8member
    Can I do a short conditional prediction?

As suggested in other threads, if Steve does make a 'one more thing' announcement that "no one is expecting", I predict its home. The entertainment center. However, all the ideas I'm coming up with are complete rubbish. \
  • Reply 19 of 40
    Here's for a European spin on this...

Services/Music:

- iPhoto ordering for Europe avail Monday

- iTMS Win in 30 days annoucement (iTMS Europe is later ca. Oct 03)

Hardware:

- iCamera FW webcam/photo (w. Sigma chip) color LCD, 10/20Gb disk, iPod funtionality avail Monday

- 1.6Ghz 970 Powermac avail Monday

- 1.8Ghz 970 same

- 1.2Ghz 970 (i.e. lower speed to reduce heat) Powerbook avail 30 days

- all consumer i-products move to G3+ Gobi w. Altivec 1.2Ghz+ (Motorola is history)

- Dual 2.0's avail 30 days

- iPAD if we're lucky

Software:

- Safari 1.0

- iWorks office bundle avail Monday (Keynote + Filemaker + 'iText' + 'iSheet')

- iChat 2.0 with conferencing

- Panther available 60 days (those screenshots were real)

Have I won? Could do with the $5 and some luvin ;-)
  • Reply 20 of 40
    G5's as specified by Apple. All shipping immediately.

Panther Shipping In August.

iChat new version.

G5 PowerBooks.