NO G5/PPC970 for WWDC

Comments

• Reply 101 of 186
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

Sorry to spam multiple threads with this post, but it's germane to all of them.

Mac Rumors says G5s only prototypes now, prices higher.

"Recent information suggests that the machines will not see full availability until at least August. In fact, machines are said to be in prototype form at this time. The new machines are also said to be at higher price points than the towers they are replacing."

I still think we'll be able to order them starting tomorrow as per the Apple Store leak. What's in the boxes then?

Jesus, could Jmoney actually be right?

Let's see, we have 2 boxes, we know the powermac is going to be heavy, some saying that AI's description nails the new case, they will be demoed at WWDC but not available with the exception of the low end model. Then this guy saying a non 970 system is out. So this new system may be a new cube, maybe has Gobi and will maybe be the gap between the imac and the 970 towers which could be workstation type systems.

we know mostly-

-We know the 970s are coming.

-AI's description is pretty damn close to the new case.

-They are not in production but soon may be.

-They can take orders for units that don't ship for months.

-rumors of something else other then 970s being announced at show

not sure about-

-2 boxes, 2 systems

-new towers may be more expensive making the gap between iMac and tower greater.

Damn, unless I'm missing something, it does sound like we could see a new cube replacement as a baby tower. That makes the 970s workstation type machines. Look at the specs, serial ATA, 4 possible PCI slots, dual 2.ghz, 80gig HD, possibly shipping with at least 512RAM, etc. I think the top end would be well over 3k. If the bottom line is say $1800, you need a $1300-$1600 tower that's a step down from current G4s but has a tad more expandability then iMacs. Very interesting indeed.
  • Reply 102 of 186
    Maybe it is the fabled bMac on AMD hardware
  • Reply 103 of 186
    rbfoyerbfoye Posts: 77member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

look, to anyone still bent on this "conspiracy" theory, and steve f*ckin around with us, simply put, YOU DO NOT MESS WITH YOUR REVENUE-GENERATING E-COMMERCE SITE TO THROW OFF RUMORS!!! come on, people. steve's crafty and all, but he's certainly not stupid -- "sure, let's throw our consumers and stock price thoroughly out of whack by posting fake specs to throw people off the secnt." hogwash. we as rumor communities are pesky mosquitoes to apple as a company, nothing more. a few well-placed slaps -- NOT a nuclear detonantion -- is all that's required to keep it in check (and a little Deep Woods OFF doesn't hurt, either).

now, that's not to say that, if the G5's weren't going to be ready, steve may now not even preview them, botht o save some face as well as being ale to annouce "good, better, AND best" at the same time. that i would believe.

JMoney, you sound like a paid apple employee given the task of going around and throwing suspicion into the ranks of the rumorville underbelly. nice try.

I agree with Rok 100%. Jmoney - you are nuts. Apple did not intentionally leak out wrong specs. That is crazy. There will be a G5 tomorrow. 100%.

Now maybe there may be something else too, in which you will move from the "complete nonsense guy" to the "just illogical guy".

Hope for your case it is the latter, otherwise you will need to find another forum because you will never be able to post on this one again without being completely ridiculed!!!!!!!!

• Reply 104 of 186
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I wouldn't bet on a new Cube-type baby tower. Remember how well the last one did, and this one would have to be set up at even higher price points. It would be suicide for Apple to attempt to move some basically non-expandable Macs into the PowerMac line, have the GOBI new G3/4 chip in the baby tower, and bump the really good chip systems with current expandability way out over $3000. If Apple did this, they would deserve to waste away. If they haven't learned the lesson of the Cube, then they are in for a world of hurt.
  • Reply 105 of 186
    detahdetah Posts: 57member
    if they were going to release a new powermac immediately, pictures & shit would have been leaked by now. they aren't ready. mark my words...
  • Reply 106 of 186
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by detah

if they were going to release a new powermac immediately, pictures & shit would have been leaked by now. they aren't ready. mark my words...

• Reply 107 of 186
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
  • Reply 108 of 186
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Quote:

Originally posted by quazi

so how do you explain this?

MacMice knows nothing, they're just feeding the rumors back to you.
  • Reply 109 of 186
    no, that evidence is much too ephemeral. if the machines were in the stores or in mass production, we would have solid, consistent evidence.

i honestly think that if anything is announced to ship, it will be a motorola chip
  • Reply 110 of 186
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Prototypes a good possiblity. Apple stores will have them on display with beta Panther for customers to play with and order. Available late July (low-end model). Again, two boxes= CPU and Display. See it all on Monday!
  • Reply 111 of 186
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    OK, OK....

On monday the heatsinks will be available for immediate shipment but the towers will begin shipping in mid July.
  • Reply 112 of 186
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

no, that evidence is much too ephemeral. if the machines were in the stores or in mass production, we would have solid, consistent evidence.

i honestly think that if anything is announced to ship, it will be a motorola chip

• Reply 113 of 186
    gamblorgamblor Posts: 446member
    Somebody at Apple slipping up and posting specs for new G5s isn't "solid and consistent" enough for you? That's the best evidence we've ever received before a product announcement...
  • Reply 114 of 186
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    that's just dumb.

so are you saying that because its in apple's best interest or due to shipping logistics NOT to ship new macs till monday. there is no g5 going to be announced at WWDC.

sure.
  • Reply 115 of 186
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Prototypes a good possiblity. Apple stores will have them on display with beta Panther for customers to play with and order. Available late July (low-end model). Again, two boxes= CPU and Display. See it all on Monday!

no, that would hurt in store sales of the available powermacs.
  • Reply 116 of 186
    gamblorgamblor Posts: 446member
    Quote:

no, that would hurt in store sales of the available powermacs.

Uh, we've had many reports that the current powermacs have been EOL'ed...
  • Reply 117 of 186
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

detah, are you sure you don't go by a different handle? say, JMoney, perhaps?

give it up, pal. those specs were plastered everywhere -- legit news sites, rumors sites, etc. the head of web admin at cupertino got canned as a result (or just fled the scene), and it's not a hoax, because, like i said, you do NOT use a hoax that will jeopardize actual sales and your stock price just to throw off the rumor sites and keep a secret. that's just insane (and not in a good way).

now will steve bother to show them, now that the surprise has been blown? honestly, i don't see how he can't, since ibm's having their little shindig immediately afterwards. however, he may decide to preview something he otherwise wouldn't, now that the cat is out of the proverbial bag, just to keep the buzz and surprise high.

i doubt, though, we will see him running panther ON one of the new machines. beta software on version 1.0 hardware? you're just BEGGING for a demo fiasco (i.e. "the machine you are running has unexpectedly quit." the audience of developers erupts into laughter...)
  • Reply 118 of 186
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

And they moved the conference to the much larger Moscone for what reason then?
  • Reply 119 of 186
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    I'm almost sure 970 based powermacs will be shown tomorrow because...

1) IBM is having a press conference regarding the 970 either tomorrow or the 24th. A heck of a coincidence if indeed it is?

2) On Apple's own website, there were G5 specs posted for a short time. They haven?t reported being hacked so it was done on purpose or by mistake.

3) Intel is having some type of press conference regarding a faster processor and it just happens to be tomorrow. This looks to me to be a scheme to steal some thunder from an Apple 970 announcement.

I?m sure there will be some unexpected surprises tomorrow. One thing I?m not expecting to see is the Motorola G5.
  • Reply 120 of 186
    odedhodedh Posts: 53member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KidRed

Let's see, we have 2 boxes, we know the powermac is going to be heavy, some saying that AI's description nails the new case, they will be demoed at WWDC but not available with the exception of the low end model. Then this guy saying a non 970 system is out. So this new system may be a new cube, maybe has Gobi and will maybe be the gap between the imac and the 970 towers which could be workstation type systems.

we know mostly-

-We know the 970s are coming.

-AI's description is pretty damn close to the new case.

-They are not in production but soon may be.

-They can take orders for units that don't ship for months.

-rumors of something else other then 970s being announced at show

not sure about-

-2 boxes, 2 systems

-new towers may be more expensive making the gap between iMac and tower greater.

Damn, unless I'm missing something, it does sound like we could see a new cube replacement as a baby tower. That makes the 970s workstation type machines. Look at the specs, serial ATA, 4 possible PCI slots, dual 2.ghz, 80gig HD, possibly shipping with at least 512RAM, etc. I think the top end would be well over 3k. If the bottom line is say $1800, you need a $1300-$1600 tower that's a step down from current G4s but has a tad more expandability then iMacs. Very interesting indeed.

Here's to hoping man, Cheers

Less then 24 hours to go