Yeah, but what about PRICES! (new dance pending)

Comments

• Reply 161 of 233
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Reposting from the bottom of page 4 so it doesn't get buried:

Mac Rumors says G5s only prototypes now, prices higher.

"Recent information suggests that the machines will not see full availability until at least August. In fact, machines are said to be in prototype form at this time. The new machines are also said to be at higher price points than the towers they are replacing."

I still think we'll be able to order them starting tomorrow as per the Apple Store leak. What's in the boxes then?
  • Reply 162 of 233
    shaktaishaktai Posts: 157member
    Expect the price on the G5 to go up, not down. Not by a huge amount, but it will go up. However the long term ROI (Return On Investment) will be greater as well.

As far as reliability, all I will say is that my two Macs with OS-X have ran day in and day out 24/7 with never a problem for 15 months now. My 4 PC's require constant daily monitoring, because I never know when one or more of them will just "quit". The Macs have had "zero" cost for maintenence and repair. Service and repair on the 4 PC's has already come to over $1000 (total for all four) over the course of the last year, a major portion of that for "parts" and the rest for paid labor. Add to that my time spent fixing them as well.

The simple fact is with computers or any other product, Quality usually comes with a higher up front cost, but a lower cost of total ownership. It isn't so much a question of how much you spend, but rather when you spend it.
  • Reply 163 of 233
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

On another note, i went to a BMW dealer and told the salesman WTF? If Ford can make Ford tempos for less money why can't you drop the price of your 325i?\

Actually, that's quite a good comparison! I'm in the car development business myself and what BMW does is very similar to the Apple attitude.

What most people don't know is that the BMW (especially the 3series) is Germany's second most produced car behind the VW Golf (or Rabbit I believe in the States...).

They have a fantastic marketing tool though which gives people the impression that when you buy a BMW, you buy something special and as such they're able to convince them to pay 30% more for their quality product (car) than a competitor's...

On the other hand, it's true that a BMW is better build than most competitors. Why? Because they use 3 fixing clips where a Ford uses 2, because they use 5 bolts where anyone else uses 4. This makes their car 5% more expesive to produce, on the other hand they can sell it for 30% more!

This is exactly what Apple does. Well thought out computers with a production quality better than others... Costs about 5% more to produce but they can sell them with 30% more profit...
  • Reply 164 of 233
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    If we're to see a single processor 1.6 G5 at $1699, Apple will be once again laughed off by not only the media, but the public at large.

The perception will be that it's still slower than a 3.2GHz P4. Even if it is equivalent in performance, it's price can't compete.

It's time for Apple to make a stand. Innovate yes, but what good is that if you can make it affordable to the masses (many consumers who'd like a tower vs. AIO).
  • Reply 165 of 233
    nervnerv Posts: 26member
    Fellas, don't be shocked when Apple charges a premium - like they always have. Here are the prices:

1.6 - $1599*

1.8 - $2599

2.0 Dual - $3499

* The 1.6 970 will have a Combo Drive,capacity for only 4GB of RAM, a lesser video card and no PCI-X.

Let's not condemn Apple's pricing until we've seen the benchmarks.
  • Reply 166 of 233
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NerV

Fellas, don't be shocked when Apple charges a premium - like they always have. Here are the prices:

1.6 - $1599*

1.8 - $2599

2.0 Dual - $3499

* The 1.6 970 will have a Combo Drive,capacity for only 4GB of RAM, a lesser video card and no PCI-X.

Superdrive acroos the board. and why only 4gb? doesn't make sense. I thought pci-x was backword compatible. Wouldn't it be more expensive for apple to use 2 different motherboards?

Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

If we're to see a single processor 1.6 G5 at $1699, Apple will be once again laughed off by not only the media, but the public at large.

The perception will be that it's still slower than a 3.2GHz P4. Even if it is equivalent in performance, it's price can't compete.

It's time for Apple to make a stand. Innovate yes, but what good is that if you can make it affordable to the masses (many consumers who'd like a tower vs. AIO).

Not if apple markets the fact this a processor in a league of its own cause its 64bits. Frankly the professionals who would be buying this will look at benchmarks.
  • Reply 167 of 233
    nervnerv Posts: 26member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O and A

[B]Superdrive acroos the board. and why only 4gb? doesn't make sense. I thought pci-x was backword compatible. Wouldn't it be more expensive for apple to use 2 different motherboards?

Reading the specs at the Apple Store - "Up to 8GB of DDR SDRAM", "Three PCI or PCI-X expansion slots" - leads me to believe there will be two motherboards. I believe that Apple wants to release a cheap low-end PM box, but doesn't want it to compete with its more expensive offerings - this behavior is not new, Apple has done just this a number of times in the past - hobble the low end so buyers will go for the more expensive boxes.
  • Reply 168 of 233
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    Said by Matsu:

" This is intensely flawed methodology because a "business" mac invariable refers to a creative pro's station while a "business" PC refers to a whole gamut of machines, the majority being Office machines.

Creative pros tend to understand their HW/SF, and to think before they act, Office monkeys tend not to understand anything, and act before they think."

Matsu, unfortunately, this is not always true.

As a consultant, I have met just as many "creative pros" who ONLY understand their favored App and have little or no interest in the OS or other apps like disk utilities, antivirus, etc.

Yes, some pros have an interest in learning and mastering their Macs, but in many, many work environments the attitude is "Hey, I use PhotoShop/Quark/Freehand/Whatever, I'm not supposed to know how to fix my Mac."

Years ago, maybe 1 in 10 didn't care, now that number is higher, about 7 in 10 in my practice.

That's why I get paid $80-$120 per hour. I honestly wish they would do the maintenance themselves - they should, but they choose to have me do it. My good luck, I guess.
  • Reply 169 of 233
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    Quote:

As a consultant, I have met just as many "creative pros" who ONLY understand their favored App and have little or no interest in the OS or other apps like disk utilities, antivirus, etc.

Yes, some pros have an interest in learning and mastering their Macs, but in many, many work environments the attitude is "Hey, I use PhotoShop/Quark/Freehand/Whatever, I'm not supposed to know how to fix my Mac."

this is soooo true.
  • Reply 170 of 233
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Is it fair to say that the new low-end G5 will be faster than the current high-end G4?
  • Reply 171 of 233
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Is it fair to say that the new low-end G5 will be faster than the current high-end G4?

I would think so.
  • Reply 172 of 233
    redericrederic Posts: 124member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Good Question.

If there is the ProSumer model or the headless iMac that is faster than the current high end G4 but proced just above the current low end then, I think Apple will sell them by the bucket load.

Do we have any benchmarks for the 1.6 as opposed to the Dual 1.42 g4?
  • Reply 173 of 233
    that's my thinking. here's why please correct if i seem off base:

factoid: a 970 will run at least twice the speed as a g4 at the same speed.

a the "lowend" 970 will be (let's assume leak was accurate) 1.6hgz

which would then translate into a 3.2 ghz g4. current high end g4 is dual 1.42 (let's call it a 2.8ghz g4 even though we know through put is not the same) for $2700

if the lowend g5 is $1800

then by tommorrow you will get a machine that is faster then the fastest mac you can buy TODAY for a $900 price drop.

and as you move up to a dual 2ghz you will be getting the eqivilant of a 8ghz g4 for around the same price as a dual 1.42 g4

frelling scary, a price drop and performance gain that would satisfy (ALMOST*) anyone!

*But don't worry folks there will still be complainers come monday!
  • Reply 174 of 233
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RedEric

Good Question.

If there is the ProSumer model or the headless iMac that is faster than the current high end G4 but proced just above the current low end then, I think Apple will sell them by the bucket load.

IBM has stated (the PDF is somewhere in IBM's site) that the PPC970 runs almost twice as fast as the similarly clocked G4.....so the 1.6GHz 970 would beat dual 1.42GHz G4 (don't forget the G4 is bandwidth limited and the dual only gains 50%) for sure
  • Reply 175 of 233
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RedEric

Good Question.

No they won't, not unless they either cut the iMac line or push its prices WAY down, say around $500 or so. there's no room in the rice structure to allow for a "prosumer" Mac like this. And no one will tolerate substantially higher PowerMac prices. The Cube failed for an important reason: a poor financial model.
  • Reply 176 of 233
    gamblorgamblor Posts: 446member
    Quote:

then by tommorrow you will get a machine that is faster then the fastest mac you can buy TODAY for a $900 price drop.

The problem is, at $1500 the price/performance premium for the Mac over the Dell PC mentioned in this thread is about 50-60%. If the price goes up to $1800, that premium goes up to 80-100%... That just reduces their audience.

One would hope that as their manufacturing capacity rises, the price will come down.
  • Reply 177 of 233
    I'm starting to think the price cuts won't happen till rev b 970s

Guess we will now in 24.5 hours.

\
  • Reply 178 of 233
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    If the price is increased that will give me one more firm reason to wait for rev B...

But I really am waiting for rev B
  • Reply 179 of 233
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NerV

1.6 - $1599*

1.8 - $2599

2.0 Dual - $3499

Ther rumours about 2 mother boards break them into single and dual mother boards. There was discussion at some length about the need to do this due to 970 archatecture. If so I would imagine that the 1.6 and 1.8 single processors wil have the same number of memory slots and the same PCI architecture. The dual 2.0 would have PCI-X and more memory slots.
  • Reply 180 of 233
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    There's an old Apple saying (which I just about remember), that's mentioned in the Apple Industrial Design book that I have.

I think it's something along the lines of: "Speed, quality and price - pick any two."