NO G5/PPC970 for WWDC

Comments

• Reply 121 of 186
    bagubagu Posts: 23member
    Quote:

Originally posted by detah

no, that evidence is much too ephemeral.

It doesn't matter. It doesn't take away the fact that it happened, no less than from Apple.

Quote:

if the machines were in the stores or in mass production, we would have solid, consistent evidence.

Quote:

i honestly think that if anything is announced to ship, it will be a motorola chip

Everybody, let's laugh at him.
  • Reply 122 of 186
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    There's a big difference between no G5s immediately available on Monday, and no G5s being announced on Monday.

I have a hard time imagining Steve will rattle through the whole keynote and not mention new Power Macs at all. I have no trouble imagining that new Power Macs will be announced, but not be shipping immediately. I'm also willing to believe that their could be some big non-G5 surprise on Monday.

But the way people are arguing here, you'd get the impression that their are only two possible scenarios:

(1) G5s announced and immediately available.

(2) No G5s at all, whatsoever, but some "big surprise" instead.

Why act like these are the only two choices?
  • Reply 123 of 186
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bagu

It doesn't matter. It doesn't take away the fact that it happened, no less than from Apple.

Everybody, let's laugh at him.

I agree, I would think they do not or would not make any kind of marketing materials until the machines are at least in mass production, otherwise it would be a waste of time and money...I am willing to bet there are more images besides just that one.
  • Reply 124 of 186
    xypexype Posts: 672member
    Could it be that, enter the new displays, Appl will move away from the iMac/eMac designs and simply make a sleek low-end and a sleek high-end desktop to go with the (guessing) 17, 20 and 23 widescreen displays?

I think KidRed's guess is a reasonable one and since many people complained that they want a Mac but have a screen already and how there are no sub-$1000 Macs Apple listened to them and changed their mind a bit? I mean the ADC is as simple as it gets and all Apple screens have USB ports already, so why not? It wouldn't be _that_ harder to set up...
  • Reply 125 of 186
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

There's a big difference between no G5s immediately available on Monday, and no G5s being announced on Monday.

I have a hard time imagining Steve will rattle through the whole keynote and not mention new Power Macs at all. I have no trouble imagining that new Power Macs will be announced, but not be shipping immediately. I'm also willing to believe that their could be some big non-G5 surprise on Monday.

But the way people are arguing here, you'd get the impression that their are only two possible scenarios:

(1) G5s announced and immediately available.

(2) No G5s at all, whatsoever, but some "big surprise" instead.

Why act like these are the only two choices?

Finally, somebody talking some sense. Thanks, shetline.

The only question is "when" and "how much", not "if". Tomorrow, Steve will demo the new line of Power Mac G5s in all their glory. They will have the exact specs that leaked from Apple. They will be in the Apple booth for attendees to try out. They may only be prototypes, or they may be shipping immediately, but they will be there.

Apple's utter silence on the leaked specs proves this. Why is this so hard for people to understand?
  • Reply 126 of 186
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Looks like someone took their ball and went home.
  • Reply 127 of 186
    More fuel for the fire.

Moto has announced availability of the chips used in the current line of PowerMacs. The XC7455B version.

http://e-www.motorola.com/webapp/sps...455#orderables

These are not MPC7457s but rather are low-yield high-end versions of the MPC7455 chip. These chips are not new, they are in the Mature/Market Saturation portion of the development cycle. The reason they are suddenly available to the general public?

Could it be because Moto has lost the customer that previously bought all their output? Yes, indeed it could.
  • Reply 128 of 186
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    For what (little) it may be worth, Mac Whispers is sticking with its prediction of BOTH G5 Power Macs and Powerbooks tomorrow. Immediate availability of single proc machines too.

"An Early Look At Steve's WWDC Keynote

1. Steve comes out and immediately begins recapping... millions of iTunes downloads... new iPods have carried sales above 1 Million units... iLife, Switch, and retail have been huge successes in recruiting consumer buyers... but...

2. Things have been a little sluggish in the pro market, he admits... something, believe it or not, Apple is aware of, and has been working on... Let me show you a video...

3. Lights dim... familiar music theme starts... and, surprisingly, a very familiar TV commercial grows into motion on the gigantic screen: the Snail commercial from 1998!

4. Lights come up. Steve says, "You know, I really enjoyed those days, didn't you? Well, after five years of struggle, I have some good news for all of you, today: Those days are back."

5. Panther. The first fully 64-bit enabled consumer desktop operating system. Enjoy!

6. What good would a 64-bit operating system be without 64-bit hardware?

7. Introducing the new PPC 970 powered Power Mac G5 and Powerbook G5. Single processor versions available today from the Apple online store. Dual PowerMacs coming in July.

8. One ungodly lovefest/demo follows where Panther is run in all its screaming glory on a dual 2Ghz PPC 970 Power Mac G5... concluding with the biggest smiling Phil Schiller we've ever seen running the Photoshop bakeoff of all bakeoffs: the 2.0GHz Dually kicking the butt of a top of the line 3.2Ghz P4 Dell... by a factor of over 2 to 1... **scalding** the Pentium system... Then, just for giggles, Steve suggests that people might want to see the same test with the now available single processor Power Mac. So, Phil runs it again with the single processor G5 and, though it's a lot closer than with the dually, that PowerMac wins the bakeoff as well, by a convincing margin of about 20%.

9. Steve says he has one more thing he wants to show before closing... the new Power Mac TV commercial. Down go the lights. Up comes the coolest remake of the Snail commercial you've ever imagined... "Our apologies to the Pentium 4... but, the Power Macintosh G5..."
  • Reply 129 of 186
    Has anyone seen this...

• Reply 130 of 186
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    As much as I hope Mac Whispers' stuff is accurate (hah!), the guy behind that site is not exactly an epitome of virtue (case in point - the Mactable ploy). Or am I thinking of another guy?
  • Reply 131 of 186
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member

they printed out a grill and stuck it on the front of a MDD

classic
  • Reply 132 of 186
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

Has anyone seen this...

HOLY SHIT, NO! IT CAN'T BE! It's like the man in the iron mask! It looks like a storm-trooper! It is faceless and without character! It has no personality! This cannot be!
  • Reply 133 of 186
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

Has anyone seen this...

Oh my god, where'd that come from? A good photoshoppin'? That's creepily-realistic. Nahhhhhh... or ..... real?
  • Reply 134 of 186
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

classic

The sticker at the bottom is indeed the same sticker they use in a testing organization within Apple. The rest of the picture smells fake to me
  • Reply 135 of 186
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

classic

And what a shitty job they did. The top part is cut off.
  • Reply 136 of 186
    testing a 970 MB inside an old case? clever...
  • Reply 137 of 186
    erbiumerbium Posts: 354member
    Ahhh pffff.

Apple would NEVER release anything like that! Ick.

It's completely fake.

First off... The power button is the size of a quarter, and secondly, the metallic grill at the top suddenly ends not like the grill at the bottom.
  • Reply 138 of 186
    Quote:

Originally posted by fred_lj

testing a 970 MB inside an old case? clever...

This could be real, but just a testing machine. The flat plannel iMac was just the inside of an old iMac and a 15" when it was in very early testing...
  • Reply 139 of 186
    redericrederic Posts: 124member
    FIKIN CRAP
  • Reply 140 of 186

Sorry to post this thing again, but I noticed something. There seems to me to be some tape over the metal part around the left and top left corner. It is also a bit blurry around the top part of the grill, possibly from tape becuase this phenomenon is not present anywhere else in the photo.

Fake? Confirmed.