NO G5/PPC970 for WWDC

Comments

• Reply 141 of 186
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    I meant clever, as in truly clever. I didn't meant to sound if I were being facetious; it would be a Jobsian thing to do.

That means that the paper appliqué on the front of this perhaps-proto machine is accurate, in regards to the look of the new machine. 'Cause that's pretty darn good quality; looks like Apple (aside from it being incomplete).
  • Reply 142 of 186
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dog Almighty

[IMG]Sorry to post this thing again, but I noticed something. There seems to me to be some tape over the metal part around the left and top left corner. It is also a bit blurry around the top part of the grill, possibly from tape becuase this phenomenon is not present anywhere else in the photo.

Fake? Confirmed.

I am starting to think this is a real test machine...
  • Reply 143 of 186
    Hmm? well? test-machine, maybe. It does seem unfinished. Just a button and a slot, among the vents.

But why are all these concepts surfacing when supposedly no one as any proof of what the final product will look like? Seems strange.
  • Reply 144 of 186
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

But why are all these concepts surfacing when supposedly no one as any proof of what the final product will look like? Seems strange.

This concept has been around for a weel or two now hasn't it? The grill concept like that of the Xserve...the wrinkled picture?
  • Reply 145 of 186
    Oh, for the LOVE of GOD people... this is FAKER than fake... please don't inflate this person's ego any more by even entertaining the thought of legitimacy.

The only thing real about this image are the fact that it's made-up of pixels. The case is a real case but the grille is superimposed.

I could list-off a 1/2 dozen reasons why it's a fake from an image analysis point of view and another 1/2 dozen from an Apple/Logistic point of view.

• Reply 146 of 186
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    I am hoping the poster meant it as a joke. If so haha....funny ->

But seeing some think it's real scares me....so...

It's fake. It just is.

Next time, put the Scotch tape on the -back- of the paper...

Pop the original in Photoshop yourself if you don't believe me. Use the burn tool set to 5% on the edges. The tape jumps out.

Or if you are on an LCD, look at the original at a sharp angle to the screen. Should see tape. \

Fun debunking it, although sad needing to
  • Reply 147 of 186
    tombtomb Posts: 29member
    More Fuel?

I haven't seen THIS here yet. What I'm interested in is what happens when you go THERE , select 'Notebook Computers' and then 'Choose Category' under CPU. I really want a 15" G5 PowerBook and I don't want to wait six months for it. Whatever happens, I'll be at Apple Tampa tomorrow.
  • Reply 148 of 186
    For those who didn't try it... here's what he's talking about:

• Reply 149 of 186
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Well, MacMall has alway's been truthful to me!
  • Reply 150 of 186
    dfryerdfryer Posts: 140member
    The same page allows you to select up to 300 USB ports, in addition to serial and parallel ports. If anyone thinks that the presence of the word "G5" on the list means anything, they're probably wrong.

Not that I wouldn't want a Quad 3 Ghz G5 with 32 GB RAM, 999 TB hard drive and a zillion ports, but I don't think it means anything.
  • Reply 151 of 186
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I wish some of you would calm down and bit and grab a big chunk of reality...the above pic is definitely NOT REAL (for reasons too numerous to go into), so quit trying to come up with silly-ass reasons like "maybe it's a test case..." and "well, it does have the sticker...".

\

How about "maybe someone took a pic of their own G4 and Photoshopped (badly, I might add) that stupid grille from that mockup that's been floating around for days?

Nothing more, I assure you.

Do you REALLY, REALLY think (sigh...I shouldn't even have to go into this, but some of you are hopeless, so...) after four years, all the anticipation, all the hype, the leak, the whole feeling of "we need something NEW...", etc. that the best Jobs and Ive can do is take the EXISTING towers and simply dress it up with a grille?

Come on...use your head.

Fake. Not real. Prank. Photoshop gag.

Sorry if I sound crabby, but I read through a lot of these posts and some of you REALLY need to take a break and have a soda or something.

Don't get me wrong: I "want to believe" as much as anyone - and if I see something that isn't an obvious shitty fake, I'll be the first to praise/champion it. But I'd LIKE to think I've still got one foot planted in the here and now and "reality".

• Reply 152 of 186
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

Ooh! Ooh! The Flower-PowerMac!

Dalmation!
  • Reply 153 of 186
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    :P I knew it was fake, but there was that possibility that it could have been a test unit. The carpet kind of blew that away, though. This is somebody's split-level, not an Apple testing facility.

I really don't think we have any idea what's coming tomorrow, and that makes it great.
  • Reply 154 of 186
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I know. It is kinda cool...all this "what if" and "I wonder...". Definitely the most excitement surrounding the platform in a few years! Why, it almost feels like 1999 or 2000!

• Reply 155 of 186
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfryer

The same page allows you to select up to 300 USB ports, in addition to serial and parallel ports. If anyone thinks that the presence of the word "G5" on the list means anything, they're probably wrong.

Not that I wouldn't want a Quad 3 Ghz G5 with 32 GB RAM, 999 TB hard drive and a zillion ports, but I don't think it means anything.

Your logic is flawed... just because their "Wizard" is designed to be over-flexible with options because each category spans across DOZENS of vendors (thus allowing "bizarre" and unprobable customization) what IS consisent is that ALL of those items actually EXIST in the database.

Which means, they must have recently added the G5 processor to it's database. Don't forget, these online resellers get the info early because they NEED to update their database info and allow them to make a product available once it's announced. What better day to update their parameters than the Sunday before a Monday keynote...?

It's no mistake that the G5 shows-up there. They wouldn't "invent" their own "G5" option... THAT would stupid and have NO VALUE whatsoever to them as a business. It's there because they SOON will be offering computers with a G5 processor.

Plain & Simple.

• Reply 156 of 186
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    You know I've been around here since 1999 and everytime something big is going to happen there's a thread like this.

Look if Apple doesn't release a G5 on monday then they sure as hell better release a tower with unbelieveable power. Anything else would be very bad for Apple after all this build up. Nothing else makes sense. If SJ says " We just wanted to show you how foolish rumors are " there really might be a riot. Actually nobody would be buying Powermacs or much else and Apple wouldn't want that.

Apple knows this so if the published specs weren't true why didn't they print a disclaimer?

I've got my bet on the G5 as advertised. Pure and simple.
  • Reply 157 of 186
    erbiumerbium Posts: 354member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jimmac

You know I've been around here since 1999 and everytime something big is going to happen there's a thread like this.

Look if Apple doesn't release a G5 on monday then they sure as hell better release a tower with unbelieveable power. Anything else would be very bad for Apple after all this build up. Nothing else makes sense. If SJ says " We just wanted to show you how foolish rumors are " there really might be a riot. Actually nobody would be buying Powermacs or much else and Apple wouldn't want that.

Apple knows this so if the published specs weren't true why didn't they print a disclaimer?

I've got my bet on the G5 as advertised. Pure and simple.

Agreed.
  • Reply 158 of 186
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Fake? Confirmed.

Some think this is actually the real thing? That's beyond comprehension. What I want to know is why would anyone tape a mock up to an existing G4 tower. Obviously it wasn't done with the intent to fool anyone into thinking this is the new G5. To see how much smaller the G5 is compared to the G4? That's my only logical assumption.
  • Reply 159 of 186
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

Some think this is actually the real thing? That's beyond comprehension. What I want to know is why would anyone tape a mock up to an existing G4 tower. Obviously it wasn't done with the intent to fool anyone into thinking this is the new G5. To see how much smaller the G5 is compared to the G4? That's my only logical assumption.

i think it was a very funny joke
  • Reply 160 of 186
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    If Apple does not announce a G5 computer on Monday then there will be hell to pay with the FTC and shareholders. This could include a class action suit as well as eventual jail time for the execs of the company. A publicly traded company cannot print erroneous information on its own website...... unless, it was hacked. In that case they had an obligation to immediately announce the listing was incorrect. They did not.

Apple will announce a G5. No doubt about it.