If they don't show one at MWNY then they lose my money

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    Ok, before I get angry let me tell you straight out that even for the PC side this is too expensive. If you want to do DVR on a PC (the formac solution is good for mac, so why go to the dark side?) go buy a shuttle ss50 bare-bones and put radeon all in wonder in it? Sony is not that great trust me, I briefly worked on a help desk of an institution with many Sony's while living in Tokyo... it was around that time my first grey hairs appeared.

Sony is like Apple in that it has glitz but the fact remains: they're still PC's.

edit: spelling correction. ;-)

[ 05-25-2002: Message edited by: CIThelpdesk ]</p>
  • Reply 22 of 31
    digixdigix Posts: 109member
    Perharps the new Digital Device that will be shown in MWNY will be an upgraded version of the iPod? That's capable of more multimedia function? Personally, it would be nice if the iPod gained more features (but still have a similar form).

As for my uses of Cable TV.

Cable Modem! The rest of the TV channels are just extras.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    "Don't demand a dumb technology from Apple and threaten to leave."

Okay. How about demanding a competitive 'power'Mac.

Ooops. But let's not demand a 'dumb' technology that's over a year out of date.

Gee, so 'dumb' it doesn't have 'DDR' tech'...and a cpu that's so behind...it aint funny no more.

(And without 'Altivec'? A red coat no knickers kind of cpu...)

Still, call me a 'troll' if you like...

Lemon Bon Bon

[ 05-26-2002: Message edited by: Lemon Bon Bon ]</p>
  • Reply 24 of 31
    [quote]Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon:

<strong>"Don't demand a dumb technology from Apple and threaten to leave."

Okay. How about demanding a competitive 'power'Mac.

Ooops. But let's not demand a 'dumb' technology that's over a year out of date.

Gee, so 'dumb' it doesn't have 'DDR' tech'...and a cpu that's so behind...it aint funny no more.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

which pertains to DVR capabilities how?

As for the tivo recommendation I think he'd be happier with Sonic Blue's <a href="http://www.sonicblue.com/video/replaytv/default.asp"; target="_blank">replayTV</a>
  • Reply 25 of 31
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    I would say he would be happier with the tivo. they aren't about to get sued. sonic blue has diddle market share. (go apple!) the only advantage they used to have was no monthly fee which has now changed. sonic blue does not have the realtionships with directv and cable compnaies and even (eeek) aol. ivo series 2 now has plenty of disk space. plus tivo is damn friendly.

buy a tivo.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    prestonpreston Posts: 219member
    Gigapocket looks like ****e, plain and simple

P
  • Reply 27 of 31
    Please be aware, also, that GigaPocket is no more than a PCI card.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    nx7oenx7oe Posts: 198member
    [quote]I have set aside $1200 for a Sony desktop:

<a href="http://www.sonystyle.com/vaio/digitalstudio/gigapocket.shtml"; target="_blank">http://www.sonystyle.com/vaio/digitalstudio/gigapocket.shtml</a>;

I'm waiting for MWNY and if there isn't a device with the specs that MOSR discussed then Sony gets the cash.

I own no PCs (and 6 macs), but if Apple can't integrate this sort of technology into its machines then they don't deserve the business.

I'll still be using my macs for everything EXCEPT the DVR. I can't turn any of my macs into DVRs, that's just lame. <hr></blockquote>

Well, let's see here, You can bet on your life that apple will shurely won't release those specs.

The only way to find out is that you go undercover (like oceans 11) and figure out the secrets that are hidden in the secret chambers in cupertino. And while you are at it, tell the moderators to raise my member status to a REGULAR MEMBER.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    macjedaimacjedai Posts: 263member
    &gt;&gt;nx7oe - to answer your regular member status question, I've noticed that the member status tends to change after the 50th post.

Now, back on topic. I too would suggest Tivo. Sony tends to use their own technology, as shown by their usage of the memory stick tech in the device you're "eyeing".
  • Reply 30 of 31
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    Hey, it's Bob the Tomato! Wassup?

"which pertains to DVR capabilities how?"

Sod all, I guess. I wasn't talking about that.

Lemon Bon Bon

Sugary Bretheren of the paper bag people's front
  • Reply 31 of 31
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Rants belong in General Discussion.

Try again.