A "sad" day coming monday

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    I have to agree with Scott there since I'm on a dual 500.

This baby is still pretty peppy and gets most jobs done as fast today if not faster than when I first got it. I still do 3D modeling and rendering, video editing, and other graphics work just fine on it. The only times the speed really bothers me are when I'm trying to navigate a really complex 3D scene and dragging objects crawls to 1 FPS or when I have to wait overnight for a short few-second animation to render.

Otherwise, in day-to-day operations, this almost three-year-old Mac performs just fine. Surfing the web is fast in Safari; most games with exception of the newest titles play fine with medium detail; common tasks like e-mail and word processing and chat and managing music all work at great enough speeds that I wouldn't even think to complain.

Sure, I would absolutely love to get one of the new G5 towers. That would certainly be a timesaver as well as give a bit of pride for owning the Latest and Greatest? new Mac, but it just isn't economical at this point for me (especially on the university student budget).

So, I realize how amazing it is that this almost three-year-old Mac works as well as it does and I'm happy. I know people with PCs that are about the same age as my Mac and they're showing their age much more than mine. You can definitely feel them slow down in some operations and their owners aren't hesitant to complain about them either. Of course, part of the problem is that they're all running Windows and their stuff has probably gotten loaded with a bunch of crap over the years, but that's just one more reason my Mac was a smarter investment.

The "worth" of a computer is how much you value it, not how the price at which the market will sell it. My PowerMac is worth a heck of a lot more than a few hundred dollars.

I'm satisfied.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

.....The only times the speed really bothers me are when I'm trying to navigate a really complex 3D scene and dragging objects crawls to 1 FPS or ........

Just to let you know that in Cinema there's a feature call create preview

That will save you a lot of time when you are doing a lot of animation....

Once you see nothing goes wrong in the preview then you can hit the render button
  • Reply 23 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

Just to let you know that in Cinema there's a feature call create preview

Oh, of that I do know. I use preview aaalll the time.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Thank God my iMac 450 isn't getting any slower. I just upgraded the HD to a 7200 RPM one. Didn't notice the difference. <Sigh/>

The thing is, software is getting 'heavier' with every update. <Sigh/>

I have the money to buy a new Mac, but it is saved for another purpose, which is of much greater value to my family than any new Mac. Alas, I have no choice. Sad days coming, indeed.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Leonis, send me a PM of you're asking in CAN $.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    I don't think the new g5's will not comeout for months
  • Reply 27 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by kelib

And what about my LC475!!!!

LC475 - best designed mac ever
  • Reply 28 of 30
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    So I have a IIsi. How long will it take before this "antique" starts to become valuable to collectors and I can sell it for THOU$AND$!!!8)
  • Reply 29 of 30
    Haha, i'd almost forgotten the IIsi, I nearly got it then just $200 too much in 1992 - it was about $1800

Make it a work of art

http://www.ahleman.com/ElectriClerk.html

might get a lot for it8)
  • Reply 30 of 30
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

That "sad" day is to me

After monday my SlowSilver? will worth less than a piece of pooh

Its was worth less than a piece of pooh the minute you took it home IMHO... Anyhow if it works great whats the issue? I happily run a TiBook 800Mhz and dont feel that its worth Shit all becuase it has been superceded by the AiBooks..