G5 pricing - how will Matsu take it?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Well, it's cool kit it a crap-looking box, but is it $300 too much? Maybe a lower end video card in a plastic box is still needed. Discuss (obviously).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    For a high-end pro Unix workstation? It's not badly priced.

There's a huge gap between the iMac and PowerMacs now... plenty of room for new hardware to take up the slack at better, market share expanding, prices.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    the old 1.25 towers are still available.

single 1.25Ghz G4 with 256MB RAM, 80GB, and a Radeon 9000 for $1299.

Seems that that might be the 'low end tower' everyone wanted.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Who cares what Matsu thinks, these prices rock. Let's not kid ourselves, the iMac top end and the G5 low end are worlds apart, you can't have a low end G5 priced less then the top iMac with that much spec separation. Anyone who thinks differently is plain ridiculous.

$3k for the top end dual 2ghz P4 crushing 160g HD G5 is $500 less then I paid for my dual gig! That's a great fricking deal! That's a fricking steal!

These are pro machines, speed like pro machines and priced accordingly to pro machines. Compare to Dell.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    well, i only really mentioned matsu 'cos he was in the Chat catching the blow-by-blow. His reaction was..predictable.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:

Originally posted by job

the old 1.25 towers are still available.

single 1.25Ghz G4 with 256MB RAM, 80GB, and a Radeon 9000 for $1299.

Seems that that might be the 'low end tower' everyone wanted.

Not good specs given the new model, s/b $999 or less for that model.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Prices are OK, within the range of previous models of the PowerMac, right? $3000 at the top, $1700 at the bottom, yes? Could have been about $300 lower at the top, and $100 lower at the bottom. Of course some were expecting Cube II for under $1000 and some will be quite pissed.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    how will matsu take it...he will be crying like a 2 year old who got scratched by the cat...and he will use fvck alot

g
  • Reply 8 of 40
    How will Matsu take it? I'm shocked you even had to ask. It's a no-brainer
  • Reply 9 of 40
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    With meds.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    ompusompus Posts: 163member
    These machines are so fast and superior to current offerings, they'll fly off the shelves at these prices.

When this initial demand is satisfied, prices will drop and the total volume of sales will skyrocket.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    macubusmacubus Posts: 95member
    How will he also take it that Apple now owns the fastest personal computer. Face it, these prices are not bad for what we get. There's so many features that I want to cry. I'm obviously upgrading, but to which one, I don't know.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    Not bad actually.

Best workstation deals going. Does nothing for pro "desktops" though.

They need a cube, badly.

And they're close.

It has modern I/O.

Take, drop it in a case that cuts that down to the same plugs minus the PCI, but keeps at least half the RAM, the same AGP slot and a CPU daughtercard. Doesn't need that high-end Gfx, doesn't need the superdrive.

Still waiting.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Well the machines "kick the line up a notch", well into Pro territory.

Fast is great, but I for one have been knocked out to the upgrade cycle for this year.

If this is part of a strategy to do three tiers and grow marketshare fine. If the line stay the way it is, marketshare will drop.

The speed rocks, but the Power Mac G5 is the first Apple machine worthy of being hidden under a desk....
  • Reply 14 of 40
    nixinixi Posts: 49member
    KidRed, I love your enthusiasm. It's in all the post-keynote threads i've looked into! javascript:smilie('')
  • Reply 15 of 40
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    If you are in the market that apple is targeting for _to begin with_ these machines would ROCK at twice the price.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    matsu...you can downgrade to a combo for 190 less...

at edu prices (since i know that is how you shop)

1899 minus the 190 gets you a bitching tower for 1709...

can't downgrade the video card i am afraid

maybe by christmas they will have a cheaper box for you

g
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Canadian edu doesn't often do downgrades, you have to take them in standard configs...

Iguess I'll be waiting a bit... Gotta get lower priced headless gear...

after seeing this, i think you can safely put off g5 Powerbooks for at least 12 months. Cool by me.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    neumacneumac Posts: 93member
    Matsu, et. al:

Check out the brand new PowerMac G4 line-up at the Apple Store.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    Re: Apple store and new G4 line up

Frell ME Dead!

This is what eveeryone wanted, an expandable mac for only:

$1,299.00

cool!
  • Reply 20 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ompus

These machines are so fast and superior to current offerings, they'll fly off the shelves at these prices.

When this initial demand is satisfied, prices will drop and the total volume of sales will skyrocket.

They will fly off the shelves to Mac houses that have been waiting to upgrade for years. I don't think they'll make a dent in the Window's desktop world at these prices. Sure they're great if you compare it to Dell's highest end--but Dell and other cover a whole gamut of price and features.

Apple has a big, gaping hole in the middle. A 1.25 G4 is not sufficient to fill it.