PowerMac G5 Is Fugly

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
No need to say more.

(Someone changed the subject from just "Fugly")

Comments

• Reply 1 of 191
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Now, now, no need to put yourself down like that...
  • Reply 2 of 191
    scarecrowscarecrow Posts: 148member
    Yeah.... But.. who cares what it looks like! (I sound like a PC user.. LOL)

At dual 3ghz by next year, I dont care if it comes in a cardboard box... woot!

Suck it PC, all PC users!

• Reply 3 of 191
    ryyoryyo Posts: 19member
    Oh man, I have to disagree: that case is exactly the philosophy I was hoping for!

I had grown very tired of the rounded polycarb look of the G4s. I think this design lends the G5 far more credibility as being a powerhouse machine to be respected in the computing world. Try to write this off PC boyzz!
  • Reply 4 of 191
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Clive

No need to say more.

That's what people thought of El Capitan too . . . its awesome: sleek, elegant, just enough inustrial to keep it honest and yet designy so as to impact the future of decorative design and fashion for the next few years . . .
  • Reply 5 of 191
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Sorry, that think is the worst design to come out of Apple... since the Blue Dalmation, and then some.

It basically doesn't answer the problems that were inherent in the El Capitan, and in fact makes them worse: you're still going to lose CD and cards and stuff underneath it, it's going to be unstable because of the overhang, those "handles" are going to cut into you if you carry it (note how the El Cap handles are angled) and you're still not going to be a removable drive on top of it.
  • Reply 6 of 191
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

That's what people thought of El Capitan too . . . its awesome: sleek, elegant, just enough inustrial to keep it honest and yet designy so as to impact the future of decorative design and fashion for the next few years . . .

It look like cheap 70s hifi. El Cap was great.
  • Reply 7 of 191
    marcusmarcus Posts: 227member
    I thought fugly too when I first saw it, but having seen the pics on the applestore, I think it is a real grower.

I especially like the 'mesh' front...

I'm reserving actual judgement for a few more hours yet...
  • Reply 8 of 191
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Put down the crack pipe and slowly back away. That case rocks. It's absolutely the most gorgeous thing Apple has done next to the iPod. Simply hot and sexy.
  • Reply 9 of 191
    this case is the most beautifull case i have ever seen. it truly is amazing. it seems to command respect with its all aluminum case, yet it kept elegant by the two thin legs that hold it up. the mesh on front gives it some of the complexity it needs. it is magnificent, Ives is a genious.
  • Reply 10 of 191
    Quote:

Originally posted by KidRed

Put down the crack pipe and slowly back away. That case rocks. It's absolutely the most gorgeous thing Apple has done next to the iPod. Simply hot and sexy.

This is just laughable, last week you're all crying "fake", "crumpled paper" is just a PC box with some alu, this week you're buying a PC with some alu handles on it.

Bonkers.

You'll hate that thing the first time you have to pick one up.
  • Reply 11 of 191
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Was Ive fired? If not, then he should be. I thought MDD was bad. Also, are we back to one optical drive? Did I miss drive doors within the mesh front panel?
  • Reply 12 of 191
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Clive

This is just laughable, last week you're all crying "fake", "crumpled paper" is just a PC box with some alu, this week you're buying a PC with some alu handles on it.

Bonkers.

You'll hate that thing the first time you have to pick one up.

Hmm, nope, don't remember saying fake last week. And because you don't like does not mean someone will 'hate it when they see it'. To each his own, I love it and look forward to ordering my dual 2ghz for less then the dual gig I'm replacing.
  • Reply 13 of 191
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    El Capitan was fugly until QuickSilver finally gave it a professional look.

Certain trolls are sure to disagree with me.

Barto
  • Reply 14 of 191
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    relax clive, looking at the amount of cooling this processors require

i think at years end you earned your 10 euro because there won't be a 15"pb with ppc970 processor before that time or it has to have a punch holed shell like this tower
  • Reply 15 of 191
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    Fugly?

Oh.. hi clive.
  • Reply 16 of 191
    gnandagnanda Posts: 14member
    I think it is too Fat, Large. Overweight.

It is not sleak.

I am sure they cut a lot of corners on the design to make it cheap.

Further more....I thought this was the "Year of the notebook."

90% of the products are not notbook stuff.

Where did he get that.
  • Reply 17 of 191
    macubusmacubus Posts: 95member
    All those holes better make it quiet. The different temperature zones are pure genius. I am very happy with the internals. The outside is OK, but I don't buy computers because they look pretty on the outside, I want the guts. I really wish they went all dual though.
  • Reply 18 of 191
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I think it looks like a badass mofo, and it's completely in line with Ives' MO. No more perky PowerMacs, this one's mean. We all knew that the big curvy stuff was way out of date, though we will always love El Capitan for it great door (this one might actually be easier to deal with though since the door goes away completely and opens with a small latch). I'm thank ful they didn't try to place the mesh on the front of the drive door, it would have never lined up well, and would have fallen off too easily. Besdies, it does give an otherwise minimalist box some anthropomorphism, and we know how much Steve likes that.

PS: I'm surprised they didn't at least give the monitors an update as least in therms of their cases to (somehow) better-match the PMs. Maybe matching is a problem with the monitors?

PPS: I seriously doubt they cut corners on the design. Things that look that simple are much harder to design. Any shmoe can embroider a design for every aspect they have to deal with, but to make all those elements work with one clear idea takes a lot of time and energy.
  • Reply 19 of 191
    macubusmacubus Posts: 95member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gnanda

I think it is too Fat, Large. Overweight.

It is not sleak.

I am sure they cut a lot of corners on the design to make it cheap.

Further more....I thought this was the "Year of the notebook."

90% of the products are not notbook stuff.

Where did he get that.

He was only touting the year of the notebook to draw attention away from the assed out powermacs. Now that we have the G5 he'll have to change it to the year of the Apple.
  • Reply 20 of 191
    etharethar Posts: 111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KidRed

Exactly! That case is badass