PowerMac G5 Is Fugly

Comments

• Reply 41 of 191
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Clive

I think it's funny in the video where Ive is going "this is 2-3 times quieter than the G4".

And I'm thinking, right, and who made the G4 so noisey!?

Probably the hardware engineers. You can't blame Ives for the noise of the previous towers. If that were the case, then a Smurf G3 would be as loud as a dual 1.43. To fix the problem, one needed to replace a fan, not make a change to the exterior case design.

Ives has as much to do with the innards as a car designer does with what-goes-where in an engine compartment.

That said, I like the case design. I would think that more complementary monitors will be out before August, though (and other peripherals perhaps--it seems there's no Pro Audio Speaker jack, so no spheres).
  • Reply 42 of 191
    Quote:

Originally posted by iSegway

Ive jumped the shark

I remember discussing the origin of this phrase with someone one time, but now I can't remember the origin or meaning. Could refresh my memory?
  • Reply 43 of 191
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

I'm planing what to spend it on - I think I'll donate it to the Jonnie Ive retirement fund, he's going to need it.

I hate to get all personal here but: you're a ****** ****** (censored myself) with no sense of style . . . gauranteed

post somethng that indicates some measure of a reason why your silly opinions, with regards to style, should have any bearing . . .

maybe even a description that might point to the slightest understanding of the terminolgy of contemporary design . . . or aesthetics

otherwise lay your opinion back with the first post and pipe down
  • Reply 44 of 191
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

If you watch the video the cooling path is straight through, not underneath or over the top - those space play no part.

Uh, which is exactly what I said, no convection function, just keeping hot metal off your table, and making it easy to pick up.

To me, at least, it's not a "muddled" design at all, it's quite focused in concept and clear whether you like the design or not. I think if a person doesn't like it, it would be because it's almost a one-liner, at least from the outside, and maybe the use of objectionalbe materials. I know I might have liked a finer mesh, but to me one of the things I like about it most is that it reintroduces translucency to the Mac lineup.

PS: "jump the shark" is a term from TV meaning a show is past its prime. It derives form an Old Happy Days episode where Fonzy and the gang are at some waterworld amusement park field trip thing, and he decides to do this water ski jump. There's a shark in the waters however, and it's a big cliffhanger episode as to whether he makes it or not. (He does of course.)

www.jumptheshark.com
  • Reply 45 of 191
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    i think people are not getting the whole "the grills are there for a reason" thing.

(ie the heat coming off the fastest desktop CPUs (god that felt good saying) on the the planet.))

Its called Industrial Design for a reason.
  • Reply 46 of 191
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Quote:

Originally posted by scottiB

Ives has as much to do with the innards as a car designer does with what-goes-where in an engine compartment.

So why's "Ive" going on about "look how quiet we made it" - Apple fcuked-up the noisey G4s, there's your comparison.
  • Reply 47 of 191
    i, fredi, fred Posts: 125member
    Of course, with the new design, the tower no longer looks good next to the all-plastic-and-white monitors.....
  • Reply 48 of 191
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

post somethng that indicates some measure of a reason why your silly opinions with regards to style, should have any bearing . . .

My work's on display all over the world. And read my sig.
  • Reply 49 of 191
    isegwayisegway Posts: 133member
    Quote:

I remember discussing the origin of this phrase with someone one time, but now I can't remember the origin or meaning. Could refresh my memory?

It refers to an old Happy Days epsiode where the Fonze jumped a shark on water skis. It basically means someone has gone way too far and hit rock bottom. Desperation as well. Out of ideas. Done. Times up.

I don't know. I am being a bit harsh. Like I just said in another thread -- This things is a work of art on the inside. I am takin all the panels and perforation off it and painting what doesnt come off. Maybe some clear panels would be neat too.
  • Reply 50 of 191
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:

No need to say more.

Seems kind of plain and simple. I was expecting more styling. However, I don't think it's fugly at all. In fact, it sort of has a clean (no bs) look.

I predict it'll look better when you first open the box and look way better when you start using it.
  • Reply 51 of 191
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

My work's on display all over the world. And read my sig.

Well, the Mustang is tastefull, yes.

What is your 'work'? and why does it not allow you to recognize good design at a timely release?
  • Reply 52 of 191
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by I, Fred

Of course, with the new design, the tower no longer looks good next to the all-plastic-and-white monitors.....

That's the reason I'm holding off on my purchase.

Anyway, the Powermac tower, in my opinion, looks great. The way the handles are cat looks a bit odd though. Let me get this straight: you have to remove each layer seperately to get to the inside? How does that work?

Oh, and if you want to diss something Apple, diss the new Panther 'X' logo, as seen on this page. That logo is SO tacky...
  • Reply 53 of 191
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    Quote:

So why's "Ive" going on about "look how quiet we made it" - Apple fcuked-up the noisey G4s, there's your comparison.

Whoops had a typo.

Anyway, that's Apple Marketing talking. You see the same thing with any designer used as a spokesman. They're assigned engineering attibutes in their dog and pony shows.
  • Reply 54 of 191
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    The don't ask case is shite!

The new case rocks. I can't wait to head over to the Soho store and check it out... do they have display models at the stores?
  • Reply 55 of 191
    Quote:

maybe even a description that might point to the slightest understanding of the terminolgy of contemporary design . . . or aesthetics...

Aesthetically it's an aluminium box with some "industrial" style holes in it and some curved handles on the top.

Functionally it really only has one "plus" point over the El Cap, it has some ports on the front.

Aesthetically I don't think it has anything like the simple style of the aluminium PowerBooks.

Functionally it has a number of minus point over the El Cap, which I've already listed (take the time to read), it additionally repeats the same mistakes the El Cap made (handles make it a lot less compact than it could be, you're unable to place external drives on top of it...)

If you want to discuss it then do so, please tell me what's so great about it aesthetically and functionally?
  • Reply 56 of 191
    Quote:

What is your 'work'? and why does it not allow you to recognize good design at a timely release?

It's not me that has the problem - as "our" great leader says "history will be my judge" (yes Tony, it fcukin' will!).
  • Reply 57 of 191
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    On the Record - BEST LOOKING POWERMAC YET.

Why does it have to look cool? It is a workhorse not a show pony.

Most people do not need one of these machines. And the people who do will have them rack mounted or in a machine room.

It is a perfect blend of form and function - which, IMO, is incredibly stylish.
  • Reply 58 of 191
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    its not recommended to put hard drives on top of a computer case....

the handles are not there for just to pick it up with... to seperate it and

give it convection space I'm sure

minimalism is in, out with the putrid 80's plastic.

Move on clive, either get with the times or go buy 8 tracks
  • Reply 59 of 191
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

That's the reason I'm holding off on my purchase.

Anyway, the Powermac tower, in my opinion, looks great. The way the handles are cat looks a bit odd though.

Thos handles are BS - that machine is going to be heavy, the current MDDs are heavy enough, but you can carry two at a time.

The handles on that case will cut into your hand, they are just not angled right to carry.

Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Let me get this straight: you have to remove each layer seperately to get to the inside? How does that work?

It looks like there is an outer door, and then an inner plastic shell (I think for sealing the different thremal compartments).
  • Reply 60 of 191
    Quote:

Originally posted by kraig911

its not recommended to put hard drives on top of a computer case....

the handles are not there for just to pick it up with... to seperate it and

give it convection space I'm sure

minimalism is in, out with the putrid 80's plastic.

Move on clive, either get with the times or go buy 8 tracks

Uh, really get with it. The "putrid" plastics, designed by Ive, were introduced in 1999 - that's pretty 80s, right?

I'm not suggesting they should be plastic now, in fact I think aluminium is right on - but this case is... fugly.

The air spaces above and below the case as it is play no part in the cooling, see the diagram already posted in this thread.

Oh, 8-tracks, yes, 70s I think, you keep getting your history at least a decade out all the time.

And where does it say you shouldn't put a drive on top of a computer?