So, I'm getting Panther in a few days (Should I install?)

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hey guys,

I got a bro who is out at WWDC and is going to get a free copy of Panther. ( ) Anyways, I want to install it on my PowerBook. First of all, should I? I got Jag on here now, and it works perfectly, obviously. I wouldn't have a problem installing Panther except for the fact that it may break a lot of my apps that I use. Would it? Any help would be great. Thanks ahead of time.

-Bio

EDIT: FYI - My brother is getting interviewed by Apple at the same time. (Family discounts (YES!)

EDIT 2: My TiBook is 867 MHz with 256 MBs of ram.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    How can you honestly expect people to answer this yet?

Will it break apps? Maybe.

Will it be unstable? Maybe.

Will it be feature incomplete? Maybe.

Will it cause random problems? Maybe.

Will it kernel panic regularly? Maybe.

Will it corrupt your hard drive? Maybe.

Will it accidentally erase all your data? Maybe.

Very few developers have their hands on Panther already; so, these questions can not be answered definitively. Sure, I think the answer from most of the people on these forums will be a resounding "YES" just because people will want to see what it looks like and have questions about various parts of it.

Should you install it, though? That depends on how much you value your computer and data. With all these developer builds comes a very serious warning that you should back up EVERYTHING before installing it. This kind of beta testing is kept private for a few good reasons; one of them is that there may be very dangerous undocumented bugs. There may be all kinds of problems that you won't know how to cope with.

The risk is yours to take if you think you know well enough how to save yourself if things take a turn for the worse.

Also, this belongs in Mac OS X. Moving now...
  • Reply 2 of 31
    Ya, it obviously won't work perfectly. I was thinking about, however, just backing up my current drive so that it would be preserved in case something happened.

Here's another question: would I be able to reinstall Jag back on my PB if something did happen? Would Panther install all sorts of weird things on my drive that would prevent me from doing that easily? I guess I could just format my drive and then .... ugh...
  • Reply 3 of 31
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Were I you, I'd install by dropping that bad boy on its own partition--better yet, I'd install it on its own external FW hard drive, and then simply boot from that when I felt like getting in on some Panther-y action.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bioflavonoid

would I be able to reinstall Jag back on my PB if something did happen?

You'd have to either erase and reinstall or archive and reinstall. There's no easy way of going *backwards* in versions of OSX.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    It's hard to say until we see Panther. If rumors of a new file system are true, it may be quite hard to go back without reformating your drives. Personally, I'd only put it on a seperate drive unless you can afford to be without a computer for a few days.

At least, that's what I tell myself. But if I actually had a copy I'd probably install it. Dang being laid off--I miss my ADC subscription.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    mac writemac write Posts: 289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bioflavonoid

Hey guys,

I got a bro who is out at WWDC and is going to get a free copy of Panther. ( ) Anyways, I want to install it on my PowerBook. First of all, should I? I got Jag on here now, and it works perfectly, obviously. I wouldn't have a problem installing Panther except for the fact that it may break a lot of my apps that I use. Would it? Any help would be great. Thanks ahead of time.

-Bio

EDIT: FYI - My brother is getting interviewed by Apple at the same time. (Family discounts (YES!)

EDIT 2: My TiBook is 867 MHz with 256 MBs of ram.

If you have to ask the question then NO do not install it, first your brother is violating his NDA, and second there is 100% chance of being un-relialbe, crash prone, buggy, break apps, be feature incomplete, etc.

It's designed for developers to test there apps and make sure they work with Panther before the public gets it this September. Also if your isntalling it on a work machine it's your loss. Even if you were a registtered developer, and Panther killed your computer it's 100% your ffault since Panther Developer preview is unstable, unreliable, and has a 100% of not being useable in day to day work.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    GO FOR IT!
  • Reply 8 of 31
    You must install and set up a website to host the millions of screenshots you will surely be posting here. Yeah, and I guess you should back up your hard drive.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    If you are a Developer you should know the answer.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    If you only have one main hard drive/partition then only install it with the knowledge that you can not downgrade to 10.2.x. If I were in your shoes I would take the time from now until when you get it to back up all your data, reformat, and reinstall with two partitions. If you have two partitions, move all your important stuff onto one, and use the other for Panther.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

If you only have one main hard drive/partition then only install it with the knowledge that you can not downgrade to 10.2.x. If I were in your shoes I would take the time from now until when you get it to back up all your data, reformat, and reinstall with two partitions. If you have two partitions, move all your important stuff onto one, and use the other for Panther.

Ya, see, the problem is: I've already used up my 40 GB HD... so, a partition may not be thw best. I could try and cut it a bit, though... I'll try and make a partition with room for Panther and maybe an extra GB to spare. Yeah, that sounds good... I still don't know though...\
  • Reply 12 of 31
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Speaking of Panther.

What's previewed sure looks neat, but wow -- there's almost as much that it doesn't address. Appearances? Additions to Column View? More about how the new Finder actually works? New filesystem? How about when it'll even be done??

I'm sure more will come out when people post reviews of the developer seeds, but it there's a lot of mystery there.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

Speaking of Panther.

What's previewed sure looks neat, but wow -- there's almost as much that it doesn't address. Appearances? Additions to Column View? More about how the new Finder actually works? New filesystem? How about when it'll even be done??

I'm sure more will come out when people post reviews of the developer seeds, but it there's a lot of mystery there.

That keynote seemed long enough already for MY taste. It would have been kinda stupid if Jobs had explained each and every one of the prefpanes. And the way that Steve shamelessly plugged Finding Nemo throughout the keynote got old pretty fast. But the Bake-off was great, and having the CEOs of all the companies was a convincing touch.

BTW, that Panther 'X' logo is absolutely UGLY! Man, it looks like some really stupid, overstylized text out of a comic book. Now that I think about it, it looks just like the X-men movie 'X' logo.

Otherwise, I was VERY impressed, especially with Homevault or whatever its called. And the user switching blew me away. I KNEW that the cube transition would be used in OS X sometime.

I hope you had a happy keynote,

a very jumpy Placebo.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I also find it a tad frustrating that the Stevenote and the Apple Panther pages gloss over the new Finder. I think this is because it's in a state of flux, or at least unfinished. We'll find out just how much, or if there's anything else that's juicy when the WWDC Panther preview screenies come out of the woodwork.

The new Open/Save dialog ought to please a lot of people since you can use column view or list view. I wonder if the left pane works like a shelf, like how Safari's bookmark manager works, or whether it acts like the Dock. I'm hoping there's a few small improvements to the Dock too. The actions button is curious too. I wonder if there's more stuff to put in that Finder tooblar we haven't seen.

I wonder how PDF services will work through the new print/fax dialogs. I assume theat PDFs made by Panther will compress nicely. I wonder how much built-in control there is for that.

Is there a reason why the Xcode page only lists C, C++, Java and Applescript but not Obj C? How does it play into the PB and IB toolchest?

And what does the new font panel look like? They keep referring to it in the Font Book area, but we never see it!
  • Reply 15 of 31
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

The actions button is curious too. I wonder if there's more stuff to put in that Finder tooblar we haven't seen.

That one button is gonna take about 5 items off my toolbar.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

BTW, that Panther 'X' logo is absolutely UGLY! Man, it looks like some really stupid, overstylized text out of a comic book. Now that I think about it, it looks just like the X-men movie 'X' logo.

Yeah I agree, I was going to post something about that.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    Yikes.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

I also find it a tad frustrating that the Stevenote and the Apple Panther pages gloss over the new Finder. I think this is because it's in a state of flux, or at least unfinished. We'll find out just how much, or if there's anything else that's juicy when the WWDC Panther preview screenies come out of the woodwork.

Totally. It's interesting how carefully worded some of those sentences are in the Panther Preview pages. You can almost learn more about Panther by what's *not* being said.

I've a gut feeling, f'instance, that giving users a choice of Appearances is still being hotly debated.

C'mon, developers, spill the rest of the beans.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    Flux: yes.

The developers don't know the rest of the beans.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    Ok, I think I've decided that I'll install... not sure quite yet, though.

What I saw today seemed to work pretty well... and, heck, it's only a couple of months until it comes out, right?

I just am worried about getting my brother in trouble... but... who knows who my brother is, anyway? \

-Bio