PowerMac G5 Complaints Thread

lixlix
Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Ok, on the biggest day in Apple's recent history, there are already some whiners on the G5 thread.

Please post your complaints in here so the rest of us can celebrate!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    The base G5 ships with 256MB of RAM! Are they joking? Apple should cut the crap with default RAM and have the min be 1 GB. Period. These are PRO machines!
  • Reply 2 of 39
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    1 drive bay in front sucks. other than that i like 'em.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    reynardreynard Posts: 160member
    I agree, the standard RAM is inadequate and one drive bay is inconvenient. Especially that now the really are POWER machines they shouldn't have these weaknesses.

But the #1 problem is...surprise!--the price. Not that they arent worth it but it puts us in that same old bind but even more firmly--no way to get the screen you want without making a serious $ commitment.

I hope the iMac steps up with some more power and maybe minimal upgradeability. But even then, what if I want a 19" screen? I kind of have that feeling of disappointment when I saw the cube's price. But not nearly to that extent. They (the new Power Macs) are great machines after all.

Matsu must be at work still so I thought I'd get the ball rolling on the price bitching. You know, something refreshingly new.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    My biggest complaint? I don't want it on my desk. It just doesn't look nice and it seems rather large. My quicksilver is still in my opinion the best looking powermac ever.

No matching keyboard and mouse? White and clear with aluminum? ick.

I'm a designer by the way...I know a lot of this doesn't matter, I am just pretty picky. I want it though =)
  • Reply 5 of 39
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    No El Capitan-style side door with hinges?
  • Reply 6 of 39
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Price I can live with. One optical drive bay is a letdown, but I guess they couldn't fit another one. The case is ****ing packed as is. Not enough RAM on standard configurations. GeforceFX 5200 performance blows chunks. All machines should have a 9600 Pro or better, minimum. No built in bluetooth or AirPort. Same old mouse and keyboard. No hardware RAID. Side door and motherboard doesn't fold down. Low end model only has 4 RAM slots. No bundled speakers. Not shipping with Panther. Not available until August. Safari isn't multithreaded.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    kabeyunkabeyun Posts: 81member
    Not that I'm complaining, mind you, but does anyone else have a problem with Apple releasing the post potent personal computer ever, featuring the vaunted G5...

...and then giving it 512K L2 cache?? Unless there's an architecture limitation I'm not aware of (fie on me for suggesting it!) then someone at The Fruit Company has cracked under the pressure of The Big Announcement and turned to heroin.

Otherwise, I'm creamily happy ('cept for still no 15" AlBook )

-K
  • Reply 8 of 39
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:

I agree, the standard RAM is inadequate and one drive bay is inconvenient. Especially that now the really are POWER machines they shouldn't have these weaknesses.

By all means, buy a MDD G4.

You get 4 HD's and 2 optical drives.

I am sure this will suit your needs fine.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:

No El Capitan-style side door with hinges?

I think the way the fans and cooling system are configured, it would have made it harder if the motherboard came down with the door.

Seems like access is pretty good though.

Better than the El Capitan IMO.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Can I boot OS 9 on a G5?

:0)
  • Reply 11 of 39
    salmonstksalmonstk Posts: 568member
    Questions more than complaints:

keyboard the same as current?

Why no airport antena internally?
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kabeyun

Not that I'm complaining, mind you, but does anyone else have a problem with Apple releasing the post potent personal computer ever, featuring the vaunted G5...

...and then giving it 512K L2 cache?? Unless there's an architecture limitation I'm not aware of (fie on me for suggesting it!) then someone at The Fruit Company has cracked under the pressure of The Big Announcement and turned to heroin.

Otherwise, I'm creamily happy ('cept for still no 15" AlBook )

-K

Someone better at hardware than me could probably confirm this, but I believe that by reducing the bottlenecks between the CPU and main RAM, the requirement for a significant and expensive L2 cache is reduced.

Anybody want to confirm or deny?
  • Reply 13 of 39
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Quote:

Originally posted by i am monkey

The base G5 ships with 256MB of RAM! Are they joking? Apple should cut the crap with default RAM and have the min be 1 GB. Period. These are PRO machines!

I thought that was a bit of a joke too, it should be at least 512, or even better 0.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by i am monkey

I sort of agree, except I'm more pragmatic and I say 512MB.

1GB is a lot if you're having to pay Apple prices for RAM. At least they're giving you the chance to go third-party and save a few bucks!!
  • Reply 15 of 39
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Uhh, the 512KB L2 cache (per chip) is ON-CHIP, 256 bits wide, running at full processor speed.

Now that the System Bus is up to 1 FREAKIN GHZ, with 6.4 GB/sec MEMORY, the need for L3 cache is essentially gone.

G4s need the L2/L3 cache because they have pathetic bus speeds, so a high-speed cache makes a difference.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    It doesn't defy gravity. And still powercords? wtf? What about wireless power? What about wheels? I have to pick it up to move it?

... shame on you Apple.... shame on you.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    But yeah, 256MB ram is rather weak. Although, I'd buy a G5 w/ the minimum Ram and purchase ram seperately, anyway. Apple still charges a premium.

256MB goes for what, $30? So 8 x 256 = 2GB for $240?
  • Reply 18 of 39
    ROTFL. Does anyone here think wireless power will ever pass FCC regulations?
  • Reply 19 of 39
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Only 3 PCI slots?! Damn you Apple. I am getting a Dell!
  • Reply 20 of 39
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    i'm not going to complain until a year from now when that 400MHz DDR memory is causing a bottleneck for my 3GHz G5 with 1.5GHz FSB. hee.