That Panther 'X' logo is UGLY!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
And people say that the new G5 cases are ugly... look at . this! I can't understand why Apple made the X so repulsive. I was expecting something like the OS X Server logo...this is atrocious.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    If I recall correctly, the original 'X' was based on a font (Garamond?) Now that Apple's using...errr...that other font (can't remember the name) it seems their logo has changed as well. I will agree with you though, the logo is ugly. Where did the Apple of yesteryear go, with beautiful curves...did it follow the G4?
  • Reply 1 of 52
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

And people say that the new G5 cases are ugly... look at . this! I can't understand why Apple made the X so repulsive. I was expecting something like the OS X Server logo...this is atrocious.

Bitch bitch bitch. This thread will be in lockdown in minutes.
  • Reply 3 of 52
    Quote:

it would look nice on a frat high-rise
  • Reply 4 of 52
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    very industrial, just like the design of the new G5's
  • Reply 5 of 52
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    from a graphic standpoint, i just don't understand how a supposedly "metal" element is supposed to have a "gloss" like aqua elements or glass at the same time. plus, though campy, i did like the "jaguar" look to the old "X," if for no other reason than everyone still calls it jaguar as often as they do 10.2, and it still does help people associate the name with the product.

anyway, i agree. i don't get it. but at least the features look pretty friggin' sweet.
  • Reply 6 of 52
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    You guys are on dope!

Everything Apple unveiled today was gorgeous and inspiring and, IMO, dead-on where it should be, design-wise.

I was more than impressed!
  • Reply 7 of 52
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    If someone gave you freaks a million bucks you'd gripe about the denominations.
  • Reply 8 of 52
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

damn rubles....
  • Reply 9 of 52
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    Lovely new processor. Stunning new enclosure. Nice new Mac OS X-logo. Thank you Apple.
  • Reply 10 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

do you know how much a million bucks would eat?!? of course i'd be upset. oh, wait...
  • Reply 11 of 52
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Uglier than the Jag "X" though? Yeah, their logo people need to take a page from Jon Ives. They have a few schwoops and other "trendy" things in their graphics and naming that would be best left alone.
  • Reply 12 of 52
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    If it wasn't so squat and glossy, I might have some respect for it. But the freaking lines aren't even paralell! [sic?]
  • Reply 13 of 52
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    I feel like the Panther 'X' slipped out of an X-men promo...
  • Reply 14 of 52
    That's EXACTLY what I said in another thread.
  • Reply 15 of 52
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Since Panther has not been officially released don't you think this might not be the final version of the logo? My guess is that by the time the shrink wrap version is available there will be nicely rendered version from Pixar.

I took the family to the Palo Alto store to watch. I was wowed by pretty much everything I saw. I'm looking forward to Panther. I'm extremely impressed by the 970. Only disappointment was no announcement of a 970 based 15 inch PB - but that will come.
  • Reply 16 of 52
    i think it looks fine, like i said industrial just like OS X and the new G5's, but don't you think its odd how this doesn't relate to panther AT ALL?
  • Reply 17 of 52
    Notice that only mac people would make such a fuss about a logo ...remember the thread about whether Apple should update the Terminal icon so that the screen was wide-aspect?
  • Reply 18 of 52
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    Quote:

That's EXACTLY what I said in another thread.

well we must be correct then
  • Reply 19 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

...but don't you think its odd how this doesn't relate to panther AT ALL?

yup. a lot of people get what "looks good" confused with what is "well designed," which is an extra step of analyzing target markets, proposed advertising, etc.

so, for instance, i find the new G5 "looks good" from an aesthetic standpoint, but the jury's still out on whether it is "well designed" (clive's been making the case, for instance, that the new handles are gonna suck due to their shape and orientation. he may have a point -- then again, i find him to be a rude sour puss at times, so no guarantees). i'm not an industrial designer, so there may be some siginificant flaws to it. you can bet Johnny Ive had a hell of a time "designing" it to Steve's "taste."

same holds true for the logo. say what you will about how much you "liked" the jaguar logo, but it was brilliant considering they were planning on using the "jaguar" name throughout the marketing of the product, so much so that it is used on every 10.2 book in the bookstore, online guides, retailers, etc. the look and feel helped to make marketing and public recognition without as much investment in capital to make it stick in the minds of consumers.

plus, darn it, metal ain't glossy.

am i being picky? sure. but it's what i do.
  • Reply 20 of 52
    http://www.apple.com/pr/photos/powermac/pmg5.html

good quality pictures, it looks pretty cool

i can'tg get the inside picture to work, if you can pleez let me know cuz i think its an awesome design, it doesn't look that bad either

i want to check out the inside to see how well designed it is, from the QTVR it look awesome, i like the new case now