next iPod + iSight = very cool

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
As some readers have suggested, I think that if the iPod ever got a nicer screen (maybe a color one) and you could connect it to iSight, then you'd have the coolest video recording device.

I'm not sure if the iSight could perch on top of the 'pod, but this would allow users to use their iPods and iSights as standalone devices, or combine them to have an enhanced product.

It'd be the perfect spy kit too. I'm so happy Apple finally decided to release a second non computer iDevice.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    strawberrystrawberry Posts: 181member
    Eventually they'll probably merge iSight into the displays for all Macs.

I'm really surprised they haven't released an 'iCam' - hard disk based digital camera. It would be the perfect companion to iPhoto and would do for digital photograpy what iPod did for digital music.

In fact, they should combine this 'iCam' idea into the iPod! DO IT APPLE!
  • Reply 2 of 7
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    The iPod would need some serious compression horsepower if you wanted to record from an iSight to it.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    What kind of processor would be needed to compress video into the iPod? Something equivalent to what is found on a PocketPC, a Palm? An ultra low voltage G3 maybe?

That would skyrocket the costs. Maybe not a good idea. Well, how come digital cameras can do video?? What powers them to do so? Could that be implemented on iPod (+ an iSight attached to it)?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

That would skyrocket the costs. Maybe not a good idea.

Yeah, there are probably cheaper ways to make your upskirt videos but don't you want to do it with style?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I thought the processor(s) in the iPod were already capable of compressing and decompressing A/V? I think it's built into the hardware of the CPU.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Camcorders have dedicated compression chips. Apple could put one in the iPod, but it would increase the cost.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by murk

Yeah, there are probably cheaper ways to make your upskirt videos but don't you want to do it with style?

Yeah, iPod + iSight + Airport Extreme + .Mac = portable voyeur webcams that stream to the net!