New design philosophy at Apple?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Ok, first of all I'd like to carry on a question from a previous thread - where are the new matching keyboards and mice? How would an aulminium mouse look? It whould be really cool, looking and to the touch I'm sure.

However, with the brushed metal Powerbooks, much of Apple's software (including the Finder in Panther) being brushed metal and now the PowerMacs going metal, are finallys eeing Apple abandon the clear/white plastic and will the new iBooks and iMacs eventually go metal too? While I realise a distinction could be made between Pro being metal and Consumer being 'i' white, I'd find such a distinction odd given that most of the metal apps are levelled at consumers...

Just a thought. What do you think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    2 months til shipping. THey'll make it..
  • Reply 2 of 17
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    I'm guessing MWNY so they'll atleast have something to show.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    hmmmm...

it is curious that there is not a keyboard or mouse in ANY shot of the G5...
  • Reply 4 of 17
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 5 of 17
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pesi

hmmmm...

it is curious that there is not a keyboard or mouse in ANY shot of the G5...

Actually they're in the promo video towards the end. But I couln't tell if they were different of not. I happened really fast and I meant to go back and look.

edit: just went and looked back and it was just the plain ol' white keyboard and one button mouse.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    the design direction is now pretty simple:

white/plastic = consumer

brushed aluminum = professional

(of course, watch apple make me eat those words and release a limited edition brushed aluminum ipod tomorrow or something)

(edit): now, if only apple could decide what kind of apps get brushed metal vs. white plastic/aqua. used to be, "lifestyle" apps were metal, the rest wasn't. now with the finder being metal, too, i ain't got a clue where they're going...
  • Reply 7 of 17
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    Yeah i can't wait to see the ads fro this bad boy
  • Reply 8 of 17
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yeah, being that they have until August, I'd bet new displays (come on!) and possibly new keyboard and mouse are waiting in the wings. Today's keynote, considering the audience and all, was smart to just stay on meat and potatos stuff and hardcore specs/numbers.

Perhaps at Macworld (or whatever it's called) or even as a separate piggybacked component to the 15" aluminum PowerBook announcement, they might unveil matching, adjustable displays to go with these G5s. Would be nice.

I know it's not supposed to matter, but it kinda does.

They just look like they're from two different generations and worlds: matte aluminum with straight lines and squared shoulders/joints vs. glossy displays in silver and with swooping curves and bends and tons of acrylic.

Not even close to one another...and this from a company that takes style/outside appearances and design very seriously.

Surely something's coming...

If for no other reason than it's been nearly four years now. Everyone gets old and tired and passe.

Not saying CHANGE the displays themselves (the screens and good quality)...just wrap them in G5-matching skins/angles and give them iMac-like adjustment capabilities!
  • Reply 9 of 17
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I'm probably in the minority, but I think the new cases look quite cool. As I previously suggested, Apple's design is minimalist with clean lines. Anything not absolutely necessary will be eliminated to create a simple look. Thus that rocket ship design from that German dude was not possible.

This G5 exterior design with it's smooth, hard look reflects the sheer industrial strength of it's innards (heh heh, Jonathan Ive couldn't have said this better )

I'll admit, it'll take some time to get use to. I of course want to see one in person. I had reservations about the FP iMac when it first came out, but was blown away when I actually saw one up close.

I just hope they've sanded down the edges of the aluminum so that one doesn't cut themselves!

• Reply 10 of 17
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I think the G5 is, perhaps, the coolest-looking tower I've ever seen. I was getting REALLY tired of the G4 and everything about it (yawn) and, after a recent visit to Circuit City, it seems the goal on the PC side is to cram as much crap on the front of the tower as possible.

This G5 is such a breath of fresh air! It looks pretty close to how I imagined it probably would. I was pretty sure it wouldn't be swoopy or curvy and I thought it would look "serious" and low-key.

It does, but it also manages to look really snazzy at the same time.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Now if only they'd show us something other than rendered images.

I read that after receiving his design award, a short while ago, Ive was asked what he'd been doing lately. His response was something to the effect of, "Folding aluminum in ways it doesn't want to be folded".

Now we know what he was talking about.

As much as I don't like the new case, I will admit that it's a wonderful example of how far he and, obviously, Jobs are willing to go to realize their vision.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

I read that after receiving his design award, a short while ago, Ive was asked what he'd been doing lately. His response was something to the effect of, "Folding aluminum in ways it doesn't want to be folded".

• Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

Ive's hobby is using aluminum foil to do origami.

I was hoping to see at least a AL 15" powerbook. I want to upgrade to a mobile system.

There is definitely room for a mid-range pro option. The gap between 1.25 G4 and 1.6 G5 is far too wide. I just wonder if the next rev of iMac will have the G5 at say 1.4 G5? I'd rather have a headless iMac of some sort since I'm lately reduced to Pro-sumer graphics status.

Flatpainter
  • Reply 14 of 17
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Downside of no new displays is that if I order now (and many people are) you won't have a new display with your order.

The old display line makes some sense too, afterall only G4s wil be shipping for then next 2 months. But still, I''d hate to order a flat panel now and screwed somehow when newer models are released before the G5s start rolling out of the plant.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    patchoulipatchouli Posts: 402member
    If you look at the iSight camera, you'll see the Aluminum look as well as a white cord surrounded by the clear lucite. I am thinking that Apple will simply change all the white on the current displays, keyboard and mouse to an Aluminum color (not material, they'll use plastics of course). So, I think the iSight is a good indication that white cords and clear plastics are still part of Apple's design plans even if it's got an Aluminim look. But, who knows what will actually surface.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I posted this in another thread:

I think that the biggest thing that looks bad on the new case are the style of the new vents. I would have liked a hexa-honeycomb front (with cut out hexagons), and then mesh underneath, so you see the mesh through the honeycomb. The new G5 front looks like the little holes that are cut out on the 17" Powerbook speakers.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    It is so obvious that there will be new displays, mouse and keyboards before the G5's ship. I was at a friends place who purchased a recent Ighz tower, which came with a white keyboard and mouse. It was ridiculous. Steve simply couldn't do this to the new G5. The comment about the iSight material and construction is a good one. However, I was a little surprised that it wasn't white to be a consumer toy that would match iMac and ibook. Perhaps there's more Pro customers with .mac accounts than the consumer level who would use iChat AV.

As for the design of the G5.. at first I had a "what the..." then I fell in love with it very quickly. Most people have their tower sitting under the desk, and then take a look at how much space the width takes up. I appreciate the slimmer dimensions. No doubt this thing looks menacing and super industrial. PC's are getting all bubbly and look like they have the elephant mans disease. When PCs started getting clear plastic and different colors, Apple when to white. Makes sense that Apple chose a minimalist shape for the G5.