2nd Generation G5's

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Just have to wonder, what do we have to look forward to in the next generation of PowerMac G5's? More duals seem obvious, maybe quads?

Just thinking out loud here...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    hopefully more duals.... SJ said it would be up to 3ghz in year. So does that mean 2.5ghz (rev. b) around christmas?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Astronaut Jones

Just have to wonder, what do we have to look forward to in the next generation of PowerMac G5's? More duals seem obvious, maybe quads?

Just thinking out loud here...

i dont think the case can handle quads...
  • Reply 3 of 15
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

hopefully more duals.... SJ said it would be up to 3ghz in year. So does that mean 2.5ghz (rev. b) around christmas?

The first G5 won't ship until end of August. Christmas is four months later. Too soon. It would be nice though.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    How about a better looking case? God that thing is ugly in pics. I guess I will have to see it in person...
  • Reply 5 of 15
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Screw rev. B, what about rev. C? PPC 980's, each chip is dual-core, making a 'dual' machine standard (1 chip) and quads the high end (2x980).

Yeah baby. Yeah baby, YEAH!!!111!@
  • Reply 6 of 15
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    ....uhm....how about just waiting for the 1st gen of Power Mac G5s to ship before even contemplating the 2nd rev ....GEEZ
  • Reply 7 of 15
    dfryerdfryer Posts: 140member
    Well, January might be a good target for announcement of a 2.5 Ghz 970 Mac, if they are anticipating hitting 3 Ghz in 12 months. Other changes to expect? Maybe with cooler chips they'll have room for more drives or optical bays. Maybe they'll have a magical custom graphics card. Maybe they will grate cheese.

I would be interested to see what happens with the iMac and Powerbook lineup - perhaps they will get die-shrunk 970's in or around January.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Who the hell cares?
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

Who the hell cares?

I do... a lot!

So don't read the thread if you don't care let alone post your degrading comment.

Thanks.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    eds66eds66 Posts: 119member
    I would very much like that dual 3 Gz G5 they are promising in one year's time.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    saabmp3saabmp3 Posts: 52member
    Quote:

Originally posted by EDS66

I would very much like that dual 3 Gz G5 they are promising in one year's time.

Nobody said they would be double. I mean, it's probable, but don't get all our hopes up right away.

BEN
  • Reply 12 of 15
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    This is Future Hardware, about future hardware.

If you don't want to read about future hardware speculation, why the **** are you in Future Hardware?

THINK, MCFLY!
  • Reply 13 of 15
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave K.

The first G5 won't ship until end of August. Christmas is four months later. Too soon. It would be nice though.

Panther will be shipping by year end, and Apple would benefit in sales if they have revisions to their computers when it ships. They have a good start with the G5's release, they need to keep the momentum up if they are going to double their market share.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    Quote:

Each G5 dissipates 97 watts, which generates so much heat that Apple had to design a new enclosure with four independently controlled thermal zones, each with its own fan.

http://www.eetimes.com/sys/news/OEG20030623S0092

Seriously kids, it may be a while before the 970 appears in anything besides the PowerMac, and in quantities of more than two.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cowerd

http://www.eetimes.com/sys/news/OEG20030623S0092

Seriously kids, it may be a while before the 970 appears in anything besides the PowerMac, and in quantities of more than two.

That's at 2 GHz. 48W @ 1.8 GHz, and 20W @ 1.4 GHz. Clock rate is very expensive in terms of heat and power. The shrink to 0.09 and improvements in materials should improve the power output considerably, but even before then the lower speed chips could be used in lesser cases. Only time will tell if they will be, or if Apple will use the 7457 instead.

I doubt we'll see a quad chip machine from Apple, but we might see a quad core machine if IBM releases a dual core version. More likely is an SMT version as dual cores is quite expensive.