Hide Programs Running In The Dock

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Is there a way to get a running program to NOT show in the dock?

i know there is, but i forget how to do it

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    i read about this in the Mac OS X Killer Tips book - There is no way to do it because if you accedentaly click out of it and it isnt in the dock anymore, it will run in the backround forever!!!

i dont think there is a way to do it
  • Reply 2 of 16
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    oh haha, i thought there was a shareware app to do this
  • Reply 3 of 16
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacUsers

i read about this in the Mac OS X Killer Tips book - There is no way to do it because if you accedentaly click out of it and it isnt in the dock anymore, it will run in the backround forever!!!

Well forever, or untill you tell the app itself to quit (if you can get into the app in some way), or untill you kill its process through the terminal. No app has to run forever, and note that there are applications that run and do not show in the dock. I just test-drove an app called Rocketlauncher e.g., which classifies as one of those.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Or until you log out or restart...

The Dock visibility of an app is determined by a flag in the app's .plist inside its bundle. You can edit this and have any app not show up in the Dock. Edit it back, and voila, there it is the next time it launches.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    i wasnt being serious guys
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Or until you log out or restart...

The Dock visibility of an app is determined by a flag in the app's .plist inside its bundle. You can edit this and have any app not show up in the Dock. Edit it back, and voila, there it is the next time it launches.

do you know what its called in the .plist?

its for aol instant messenger, and while i'm on the subject, does anyone know of any cracks to get rid of the banner ad, i remember in OS 9 there was a hack with resedit
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Set NSUIElement to "1" in the Info.plist file.

Be careful, though. If you close all the windows or hide the app, it'll be kinda tricky getting back to it.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    hmm I found this to work too...

Code:

<key>LSBackgroundOnly</key>

<string>1</string>

I stole it from MicrosoftMouseHelper.app and it seems to work with clock too.

Typing "ps -U <username>" in the terminal will give you a list of all programs <username> is running, you can then type "kill <pid>" in the shell to end that program. <pid> is the number shown in the first column.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    Hmmm..I wanted to do this for Stickies, only problem is if I do it; it won't give me the apps menu bar if I select a stickie.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Be careful, though. If you close all the windows or hide the app, it'll be kinda tricky getting back to it.

i'm pretty sure that, for most apps, you can re-open the program, and it won't spawn a new process, but bring the old to the foreground. an app should have a menu bar though, otherwise being in the foreground won't do it much good.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    That's right. You can double-click the icon in the Finder to bring the running app back to the front.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gargoyle

Typing "ps -U <username>" in the terminal will give you a list of all programs <username> is running, you can then type "kill <pid>" in the shell to end that program. <pid> is the number shown in the first column.

Too bad there isn't an application that gives a gui for this

• Reply 13 of 16
    noleli2noleli2 Posts: 129member
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

Too bad there isn't an application that gives a gui for this

There is: http://homepage.mac.com/fahrenba/dockless/dockless.html. Program's called Dockless. I use it to hide AquaMon.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Noleli2

There is: http://homepage.mac.com/fahrenba/dockless/dockless.html. Program's called Dockless. I use it to hide AquaMon.

awesome, this is exactly what i was looking for!
  • Reply 15 of 16
    somebody should hide the finder and take a pic for humor's sake
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Is there a way to get a running program to NOT show in the dock?

i know there is, but i forget how to do it

Use DragThing - I've given up using the Dock after 1 hour with it

http://www.dragthing.com