Has anyone succeeded in getting A/V Chat to work?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Has anyone succeeded in getting the A/V chat to work over the internet?

I've been attempting it with my brother to no avail. We've both opened up our firewalls, so it shouldn't be that.

I've also been trying to narrow down what traffic has to be allowed through. I see IP Multicast traffic to (if I remember correctly) 224.0.0.253, port 5353. How that is supposed to get routed over the internet I don't know. Anybody with more experience out there?

John

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by John Whitney

Has anyone succeeded in getting the A/V chat to work over the internet?

I've been attempting it with my brother to no avail. We've both opened up our firewalls, so it shouldn't be that.

I've also been trying to narrow down what traffic has to be allowed through. I see IP Multicast traffic to (if I remember correctly) 224.0.0.253, port 5353. How that is supposed to get routed over the internet I don't know. Anybody with more experience out there?

John

Nevermind. One of us appears to have been doing something wrong. By the way, there is now an knowledge base entry about iChat AV port requirements:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article2....le.com%3a80%2f
  • Reply 2 of 30
    I wish I had a capable cam....
  • Reply 3 of 30
    macmediamacmedia Posts: 152member
    I've gotten the Audio to work but am having trouble with the video. Does the person on the other end have to have Video in order to accept the stream?

Chas
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Macmedia

I've gotten the Audio to work but am having trouble with the video. Does the person on the other end have to have Video in order to accept the stream?

Chas

Yep.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    qaziiqazii Posts: 305member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

Yep.

So what's the "One-way video chat" option for then?
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Any firewire video source will work. I hooked up my Sony camcorder and it worked perfectly.

I've had no problems with audio or video at all.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Works with my 36 month old JVC.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    no you can just do one-way video if only one of you has a camera. have the person with the camera right-click on your screen name and select on-way video chat. there SHOULD be a way to do this from the other end, but doesn't seem to be
  • Reply 9 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by qazII

So what's the "One-way video chat" option for then?

This is what I ended up using with my brother (I have a camcorder, he doesn't). It ended up working well, although when he accepted the feed my side stopped updating the image (so I couldn't tell if I was in-frame or not). No picture-in-picture with this mode either.

We both have cable modem, and the picture was apparently great (I have to take his word on it). We were getting 26 frames per second (at any bandwidth range I selected, maxing out at about 200kbps). I'm guessing they degraded quality and not framerate with lower bandwidth.

For some reason, full-screen mode didn't work on my TiBook G4. The screen went half black, half white (left side was white). Not sure if it was just because I didn't have a video feed from him, or what.

(By the way, switching on the infrared feature of the camcorder was a riot ).

John
  • Reply 10 of 30
    macmediamacmedia Posts: 152member
    Selecting "one-way video chat" was the key. Using a Canon ZR40 camcorder on my end. Noticed that it automatically shuts off after a few minutes of doing nothing. Does it do this because it doesn't detect any activity in the chat?

I can see that I'm going to have to pick up an iSight or 2. If I set the camcorder on top of my desktop machine, it picks up too much noise. Guess I'll have to get a quieter G5 now

Thanks for the help,

Chas
  • Reply 11 of 30
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Macmedia

Noticed that it automatically shuts off after a few minutes of doing nothing. Does it do this because it doesn't detect any activity in the chat?

This is a battery saving function of the Canon. My Sony DV camera does it too (it shuts off after 5 minutes).
  • Reply 12 of 30
    robsterrobster Posts: 256member
    posted a topic on this but I can't get any video to work on a G3 machine
  • Reply 13 of 30
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    I wish it worked on USB cameras. Funny enough, the microphone on my QuickCam 3000 works fine, but no Video. So, it sees it, it just ignores it apparently. I'm sure my Camcorder would work...but...that's why I bought a webcam. I've already complained to Apple.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by robster

posted a topic on this but I can't get any video to work on a G3 machine

Which G3 is it? It's gotta be at least a 600 MHz for the video to work. I can do it I just need a cam... My USB cam is too old and it seems that the USB bus is too slow....
  • Reply 15 of 30
    robsterrobster Posts: 256member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Proud iBook Owner 2k2

Which G3 is it? It's gotta be at least a 600 MHz for the video to work. I can do it I just need a cam... My USB cam is too old and it seems that the USB bus is too slow....

tried it on a 500mhz Pismo PB, a 600mhz iBook and a 700mhz iBook.

No joy so far...
  • Reply 16 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by robster

tried it on a 500mhz Pismo PB, a 600mhz iBook and a 700mhz iBook.

No joy so far...

It should work on the two iBooks.... that Pismo is JUST too slow to handle it. What cam have you been using? Try this: Trash the iChat AV prefs, connect the cam and then reopen iChat AV so it establishes contact with the devices.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    dgnldgnl Posts: 42member
    yep, Tibook with cannon GL2, works perfectly, love this app, I'm buying the iSight ! Go Apple Go !
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Well, I think the problem of auto shut off's has been fixed...it is a simple solution actually. Just pop in a tape for the specific purpose of iChat A/V and press record. The camera wont shut off and the tape will just get used up and once it is, rewind it and start over...it does not interfere with the iChat if you press record during the conference.

Anyone wanna video chat with me? Haha!?

BTW, I have a Cannon ZR-25.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    doyaldoyal Posts: 72member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

This is a battery saving function of the Canon. My Sony DV camera does it too (it shuts off after 5 minutes).

Guys don't know if this will help you but it works for me. I also have a Sony DV and after five minutes the little bugger just turned itself off. I changed the camcorder power switch from Camera to MEMORY(the sucka-pixel digital camera mode) and it hasn't switched off one since.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    TiBook, AirPort, Sony TRV-17...roaming video iChat. It rocks.