GHZ-POWERBOOKS ?? anyone know?

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 88
    Nobody's said it, so I will.

Steve Jobs can kick Craig Barrett and Bill Gates' ass at the same time if he wanted to. Those veggie burgers make him strong and mighty. You trolls best keep that in mind.

Mack Damon
  • Reply 82 of 88
    bernardbernard Posts: 59member
    Could some one explain how 64M of VRAM would benefit me in any way on a laptop that doest support video spanning? besides minimal gaming performance?
  • Reply 83 of 88
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Apple needs a new revision on the "Power"Mac and "Power"Book lines. They are long in the tooth, and this MWNY, I predict, will NOT disappoint.
  • Reply 84 of 88
    myahmacmyahmac Posts: 222member
    hey res i love your car analogy because it is true. People should not compare the capacity of a truck to a sedan. But when a sedan is all the bmw makes. the you might have to go to a ford. And we all know that for does not under any circumstance make a better CAR then BMW. What i fail to understand between you and m1 is why you are arguing so much. who cares about whether the book is in the same class an 8200. the point is they still compete against each other. same as the ford pickup and the the bmw m5. there is a limited amount of money in supply. it will leave the consumer regardless of what class you think the item is in. why dont you guys get off the personal attacks and go back to the root of the discussion. oh and btw, the term newbies meant that since you guys are trying to mak each other look so bad you must be new to these boards. the only long term members i can recall acting like that were fran and applenut back in mercury rising. and no i don't mean that to say i am above you by mentioning some thing from so far back, really just remembering back when rumors used to fly out everywhere, like at macworld.com of all places.
  • Reply 85 of 88
    razzfazzrazzfazz Posts: 728member
    [quote]Originally posted by m1:

<strong>

don't believe for a minute apple themselves don't think they're not marketing the powerbook as a desktop replacement. that's what it is. quit being conveniently disillusioned by your "class" b.s. that's just a scapegoat, don't be naive.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, you can't argue that Apple put a lot more emphasis on portability (and related stuff, e.g. battery life) than a lot of PC desktop replacement makers do.

Believe it or not, there are people who do not buy a laptop solely for the purpose of not having to lug a full-blown tower + screen to all those LAN-parties, and who would rather have a 20kg/200fps machine than a 2kg/20fps one. If your needs are others, well, then the Powerbook just isn't the right machine for you.

Bye,

RazzFazz
  • Reply 86 of 88

<strong>

wrong. if anything, that is the ibook.

Only true for the 12.1" version. The 14.1" iBook is both bigger and heavier than the PBG4.

[quote]<strong>furthermore, i could have sworn the principle quality of the powerbook was.. er... performance? power? hence..powerbook. design is, or atleast should be, secondary to it's overall functionality.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Uh, hello? You do realize there's a little more to "functionality" than MHz and FPS alone?

Bye,

RazzFazz
  • Reply 87 of 88

<strong>furthermore, "categories" are only created when a product comes out that stale-minded, uncreative, label resorting marketing execs come up with when they don't know how to define something. a weak, age-old attempt to dupe consumers into thinking there is a valid dimension of value in "class comparison". garbage. real world human interaction of the use of product puts the product in it's true category. sounds like it worked on you?

This is getting a little annoying. Will you ever understand that not everyone has the exact same requirements in regard to how his computer needs to be? And especially that not everyone shares yours? There's a reason we have subnotebooks, or mobile processors, or Transmeta, or even handhelds and palms, even though neither of those will ever compare favourably to any desktop computer offering. Not everyone needs his portable machine to give desktop performance at the cost of size, battery life, heat, and whatever else it takes. Needs differ, and so do notebook offerings. Apple have chosen to only cater to a certain part of the portable market, and that part doesn't seem to include you. Bad for Apple in that you're probably better of getting a Dell or AlienWare or whatever true desktop replacement machine. That doesn't make it any less suitable for the part of the market they are targetting, however.

Bye,

RazzFazz

[ 06-03-2002: Message edited by: RazzFazz ]</p>
  • Reply 88 of 88
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Maybe I'm mistaken, but I seem to remember Apple positioning its PB as a desktop replacement system, or a least a system with desktop replacement power back when the current PB form factor was first introduced. The 450 and 500 MHz systems were labeled by Apple as supercomputers to go.

Therefore, it is more than fair to compare PBs to other desktop replacement systems. Apple never intended to fall as far behind as they did. It seems that now that Apple is hopelessly behind, people are rewriting history and claiming that Apple is reaching for different market.

Make no mistake about it. They were reaching for the desktop replacement market. They just missed it by a country mile.

One more thing. The PowerBook was originally intended to highlight the "power" aspect of the notebook, not slim and light. That came much later. Apple once was the power leader and the power user was their target audience. They may have changed their strategy now because they lost the power race. But they also need to change their nomenclature to align with the current reality. This would cut down on a lot of the confusion.