So when do we expect Panther?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
So when can we expect to be able to buy panther?

How long after devs get it does it come to us normally?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I bet theiy're shooting for the end of September, but assuming that part of the reason that WWDC was pushed back was because Panther really wasn't quite ready, I wouldn't be surprised if it got pushed back to October.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    maxcom29maxcom29 Posts: 44member
    MACNN says by the end of the year for 129$.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

I'm gonna go way out on a limb and say end of Aug / beginning of September... I dunno maybe it's just cause I want it so bad.

D
  • Reply 4 of 23
    grecygrecy Posts: 15member
    I thought Steve said "Before years end"

To me, that means anytime up till midnight December 31.

(Maybe they'll hype it as a Christmas pressie)

-Dan
  • Reply 5 of 23
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Is it just me or does anyone else feel like Panther has some BIG features that weren't mentioned at WWDC?

I want to know more about Pixlet as well. Is this a new Codec? Interesting stuff.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Is it just me or does anyone else feel like Panther has some BIG features that weren't mentioned at WWDC?

I want to know more about Pixlet as well. Is this a new Codec? Interesting stuff.

Yes, Pixlet is a new codec.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    ASAP!!!! MUST HAVE EXPOSE AND PIXLET!!!
  • Reply 8 of 23
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

I think Pather will ship with the delayed G5's. End of September.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    medialabmedialab Posts: 19member
    There are some important bits of information about PixLet that I wish they would have bothered to mention: Is it cross-platform (included in Windows QuickTime) or OS X-specific? What are the playback requirements? (I imagine they are fairly steep, Jobs alluded to requiring a G4 1Ghz at a minimum).
  • Reply 10 of 23
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave K.

I think Pather will ship with the delayed G5's. End of September.

Nope, Apple's site says they come preloaded with Jaguar.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    I'm not sure about Panther itself, but according to a document I found on Apple's site, Xcode is set to be released September 15, 2003. Maybe it will ship with panther.

Robert
  • Reply 12 of 23
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    I'm going to guess and say just before thanksgiving.

Man, expose looks bad ass......
  • Reply 13 of 23
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Anybody know if Panther will be able to run classic apps?
  • Reply 14 of 23
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by medialab

There are some important bits of information about PixLet that I wish they would have bothered to mention: Is it cross-platform (included in Windows QuickTime) or OS X-specific? What are the playback requirements? (I imagine they are fairly steep, Jobs alluded to requiring a G4 1Ghz at a minimum).

Here's what it says on the apple site:

"Pixlet is the first studio-grade codec for filmmakers. Pixlet provides 20-25:1 compression, allowing a 75MB/sec series of frames to be delivered in a 3MB/sec movie, similar to DV data rates. Or a series of frames that are over 6GB in size can be contained within a 250MB movie. Pixlet lets high-end digital film frames play in real time with any Panther Mac, without investing in costly, proprietary playback hardware." (emphasis mine)

Hmmm... what does this say about requirements for Panther, then? Couldn't Jag run on every G3 and G4? It even made it faster across the board, no?
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Flippant funbags, who's succinct posts have seamed genuinely informed, suggests in another thread that you are correct. We haven't seen the whole thing.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Saturday December 7th or 14th. And it all yours for a nice tidy sum of $129.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Ah, that's the trouble with highly succinct posts. It's just that much easier to look like you know something because you don't give yourself the opportunity to paint yourself in a corner. Actually, I wouldn't be so surprised if Mr./Ms. Funbags (let's hope it's a she!) does know stuff about it, but I'm not going to beg for more info.

If they want to share, they will. If they don't, they're sadistic.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Dec 31st 2003 at 11:59 PM.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Dec 31st 2003 at 11:59 PM.

Haha... were this true how many people would spend New Year's at an Apple Store? lol
  • Reply 20 of 23
    discodisco Posts: 83member
    I've seen the price of Panther listed at $129. Will there be reduced upgrade pricing for Jaguar owners? Just curious if anyone has heard/read anthing regarding this.