A New Era for Apple

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Well folks, we all got what we wanted. A major speed boost, a huge bus, enourmous RAM banks, and the works. Panther looks incredible. Expose is amazing, the new finder is great. With a 3 Ghz chip coming in 12 months, I just can't imaging how great it will be for Apple in the coming years. This is truely a new era for us as Mac users. G5 Powerbooks are inevitable, G5 iMacs and eMacs as well. Apple hopefully will rush their whole line into the G5 with the exception of iBook which will probably go Gobi. Let's hope this trend keeps up.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Originally posted by filmmaker2002

Well folks, we all got what we wanted. A major speed boost, a huge bus, enourmous RAM banks, and the works. Panther looks incredible. Expose is amazing, the new finder is great. With a 3 Ghz chip coming in 12 months, I just can't imaging how great it will be for Apple in the coming years. This is truely a new era for us as Mac users. G5 Powerbooks are inevitable, G5 iMacs and eMacs as well. Apple hopefully will rush their whole line into the G5 with the exception of iBook which will probably go Gobi. Let's hope this trend keeps up.

This is indeed a new Era for Apple. Expect to see a 970 based iMac before the end of the year. Apple can easily toss in a 1.2Ghz without fear of cannibalization of the PM lineup. Only the eMac and entry level iMac should be G4 for Desktops.

Panther is looking good. I'll need more for it to be great however. I think there is still more to come.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    So now that they've caught up and supposidly passed the top of the line PC machines, how long will they maintain? What's coming up on the PC side that'll regain the edge? Anything? AMD? I'm a PC idiot.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    medialabmedialab Posts: 19member
    I'm sure the entire lineup is eventually going all-G5, but they didn't sound like they were in a hurry to get there. Apple definitely seemed in a mood to milk the margin off all of us caught in the RDF before going for market share with bottom-line prices. You might see one of the Powerbooks go G5 this year, maybe. But iMacs, and the rest of the lineup will wait til next year. I predict next spring will be the Big Apple Switch campaign. This fall and Christmas will focus on getting the Mac faithful to upgrade (at fair, but less than stellar prices).
  • Reply 4 of 10
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Moving to General Discussion.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by filmmaker2002

I agree 100%.

I like that steve stated that in 12 months they will be at 3.0 Ghz and I guess they will have a 1.5 Bus
  • Reply 7 of 10
    eds66eds66 Posts: 119member
    I agree. The new machines, in combination with the OS, are truly impressive. Apple has finally regained its primus inter pari status in the computer world.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Quote:

Originally posted by EDS66

I agree. The new machines, in combination with the OS, are truly impressive. Apple has finally regained its primus inter pari status in the computer world.

not until these machines ship.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Thank god Apple was able to pull it through the G4 disaster. Now they need to move the lower end systems to the G5 and push corporate sales.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Thank god Apple was able to pull it through the G4 disaster. Now they need to move the lower end systems to the G5 and push corporate sales.

That's pretty much a given. But it won't happen for a while. They have to get the most out of their tower sales first. One thing at a time........