3ghz within 12 months, WOW

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
"Apple said today that a three-gigahertz version of the G5 chip would be available within 12 months." see nytimes.com

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

"Apple said today that a three-gigahertz version of the G5 chip would be available within 12 months." see nytimes.com

That'll be good for cheapskates like me who can't shell out the bucks now but looking forward to it in the future. Apple revamping the line quickly means the low end improves drastically.
  • Reply 2 of 42
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Thank god they went with a company that know how to make CPUs and fab them.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    So maybe I should wait for Rev B or even C
  • Reply 4 of 42
    qaziiqazii Posts: 305member
    It will be interesting to see how this affects resale value. In a year, will you be able to get a used G5 for under $1000? A Dual 1.42 for uder $500?
  • Reply 5 of 42
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Considering that the rest of the industry doubles performance every 18 months, a 50% increase in 12 months isn't exactly good news. Why the "wow"?
  • Reply 6 of 42
    qaziiqazii Posts: 305member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Booga

Considering that the rest of the industry doubles performance every 18 months, a 50% increase in 12 months isn't exactly good news. Why the "wow"?

What do you mean by "rest of industry?"

Consider Intel:

January 2002: 2.2 Ghz

18 months later

June 2003: 3.2 Ghz

Where's the doubling?

(I'm going straight by Mhz, which of course is not accurate, but that's how you're comparing, so...)
  • Reply 7 of 42
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

i believe its double the transistors every 18 months no?
  • Reply 8 of 42
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

Trolls eat lots of transistors.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    Bye Motorola, don't let the door smack ya in the ass.

Jobs just said this to contrast the G5 introduction with the G4 introduction. It instills confidence in the platform among developers and switchers, and as a bonus it's a nice bitch-slap to Motorola.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I am looking forward to see Apple filing a law suit to Moto
  • Reply 11 of 42
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    lol, perhaps to asuage the fears of

"We have the new, all powerful G4. it's shipping at 550Mhz!!!"

ok, make that 500Mhz. for hte next ****ING YEAR. (or was it longer?)

in any case, the G4 initially got stuck a LONG time at its initial speeds. this would be to remove that fear with this new chip, IMO.
  • Reply 12 of 42
    Quote:

Well, I put money on Steve Jobs giving us a conservative estimate with the "3GHz in 12 months" statement. Also, in the x86 world it is more like 2x in 18-24 months. Since the 970 matches and exceeds the P4 and Xeons in the test results given I think we can take from Mr Job's statement that the product line is not going to fall way behind again.

MM
  • Reply 13 of 42
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    No lawyers Leonis. They are evil and bad. To touch them is to make oneself unclean. BTW I haven't heard from my lawyer in a while?
  • Reply 14 of 42
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    Don't forget about the 980. And also don't forget that IBM said in addition that they are working on the next generation already (read 980)

The g6? 4ghz+? The future is bright indeed.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

That statement refers to process technologies not performance and it's closer to 2 years anyway.

On the topic of scaling as it happens the PPC970 will scale faster than the Athlon 64 despite the fact the Athlon 64 is going to launch at virtually the same frequency.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    There will always be something better in 12 months. I'm not gunna wait that long. GIMMIE GIMMIE GIMMIE!!!
  • Reply 17 of 42
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

It's not really set in stone, but that's about right.

And as far as jumping from 2 to 3 GHz (+50%) in 12 months is concerned...

Since AMD can't keep up, Intel has gotten lazy. They only plan on reaching 3.4 GHz by the end of the year...whereas they released 2.53 GHz P4s in May 2002. A 34% jump in ~18 months.

AMD has been even worse off. They 've increased clockspeeds by 32% since January 2002, going from 1.67 GHz to 2.2 GHz. They briefly had a 2.25 GHz chip but they couldn't make an appreciable number of them.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Someone please clarify, but I am not sure that overall performance will scale linearly when both the processor and the bus take a 50% increase.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    i, fredi, fred Posts: 125member
    Just for the record, it's about transistor count, not MHz. Also, there is a theoretical slowing in the rate of progress as designng and fabbing even tinier bits gets harder and harder and more expensive......of course, every time someone predicts a plateau, some smart people figure out how to beat it.....
  • Reply 20 of 42
    jrgjrg Posts: 58member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Someone please clarify, but I am not sure that overall performance will scale linearly when both the processor and the bus take a 50% increase.

Well, no, performance won't scale lineraly. Hopefully Apple will tweak and tune the system to get as much performance as they can out of the computer. So the total performance will be (much) greater but not at the same level the clock scaling would indicate.

To get much better performance at that clock speed they would need to adjust the architecture of the chip: give it larger caches (which I suspect they will), greater execution resources (won't) or add something like SMT which uses idle resources much more efficiently (coming in the 980).