PowerMac G5 Complaints Thread

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    1 drive bay?! Are you joking? Other than that it's teh win!

• Reply 22 of 39
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    What I don't like about them:

1) Just one drive bay, merely one year after finally giving the masses a second drive bay that they had clamoured for for a long time. Doesn't seem to make sense.

2) Case is kind of ugly. I thought it would grow on me once I saw Apple's official pictures, and it kind of did. But I still don't like it, compared to the El Capitan.

3) Wait. I was going to have a bit about how Apple should have upped the RAM ante here, and basically doubled the RAM on all their machines. But then I realized that the low end (especially 12" iBooks and 800 MHz eMacs) are the ones that REALLY need more RAM because 128 MB is simply not enough. Meanwhile, the towers seem to be fine, especially given their huge number of RAM slots. So it's more of a problem with the REST of the line, not with the G5.

Well, that's it. We'd all like to see more duals, more PCI slots, more drive bays, lower cost, etc... but those two things are really the only issues I have with the computer. It's an awesome computer and certainly worthy of its equally awesome price tag.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    ~ufo~~ufo~ Posts: 245member
    like many I agree that the QS was the prettiest case ever to have come from apple (well maybe it rules together with the cube)

the G5 is growing on me, but it'd have to see it in "person" for the real ooooo effect

about the ram issue... don't you think apple knows their ram is REALLY expensive and that everyone buys it somewhere else?

I think they just chip it with a minimum of 256 to have a great stable system running and you can buy more ram suited for the kind of apps you use...

stop whinging about bloody ram, you've got a kickass cpu!

the price would go up alot if they'd ship it with a minimum of 1GB
  • Reply 24 of 39
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pesi

i'm not going to complain until a year from now when that 400MHz DDR memory is causing a bottleneck for my 3GHz G5 with 1.5GHz FSB. hee.

Well they'd ship it with DDR2 at 533 MHz I expect.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

Well they'd ship it with DDR2 at 533 MHz I expect.

heh. well, i was trying to make a joke that i'd be complaining about some of the fastest memory currently available would be holding my system back
  • Reply 26 of 39
    Oh Jesus...

This RAM thing, you do all realise that all Apple resellers run on sub 7% (if you're lucky) margins, right? RAM is a good source of value-added revenue on every box. This is why Apple don't ship each box maxxed out. If you need RAM, factor it into your purchase - duh! It's not like it's hard to find or buy.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    jindrichjindrich Posts: 120member
    complains?

-the bundled ram is a joke (as always)

-only ONE slot cd drive? you want me to waist time copying the contents to hd before making a copy of cds/dvdroms? WHAT??

-the case is TOO BIG. Ok, it's designed for duals so it needs the space; but only one model has duals. I was expecting a much smaller case, like half that.

and the one complaining that takes the awards:

THE PRICE! (surprise!)

faster compiuter in the world? fine, but at what price? Today most people are used to change the computer every year (i can tell you).

If you take for instance the middle model at ?2,500, then a branded 3ghz PC which costs half that much (or even a third). Wich means next year you'd have money to buy another NEW PC, all for the price of a single Mac. In 3 years it would be like:

-Mac: 2,500 x3= 7,500 euros

-PC: 1,200 x3= 3,600 euros

now consider a small design/studio/whatever firm with 10 computers and you do the math.

Apple still has to lower his prices if he wants to seriously gain market share.

OK, i'm done
  • Reply 28 of 39
    farvefarve Posts: 69member
    Sh.t. The new powermac is the most beautifull thing in this world, It's like both a supermodel and a geniuse thats funny, generouse and loving. Lovin' it....... never the mind th bundled ram, buy some extra when you purchas one, hey.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    i, fredi, fred Posts: 125member
    One drive bay is unconscionable. Won't fit???? Make the damn thing taller!

Duh.
  • Reply 30 of 39
    gullivergulliver Posts: 122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jindrich

complains?

THE PRICE! (surprise!)

faster compiuter in the world? fine, but at what price? Today most people are used to change the computer every year (i can tell you).

If you take for instance the middle model at ?2,500, then a branded 3ghz PC which costs half that much (or even a third). Wich means next year you'd have money to buy another NEW PC, all for the price of a single Mac. In 3 years it would be like:

-Mac: 2,500 x3= 7,500 euros

-PC: 1,200 x3= 3,600 euros

now consider a small design/studio/whatever firm with 10 computers and you do the math.

Apple still has to lower his prices if he wants to seriously gain market share.

OK, i'm done

THIS IS RIDICULOUS!

Show me a Dual 3,06GHz Xeon machine with superdrive, Firewire 800, USB 2 and Radeon 9600Pro for 1,200 US$! And this machine would still be SLOWER!

If you want lower prices buy the G4/Dual 1,25GHz or even better: use your fingers - they are for free!
  • Reply 31 of 39
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Basic complaints:

drive bays...not major considering FW800, FW400 and USB 2.0 are present.

price...of course.

heat rises...so utilize that...don't try to flush the air straight out the back.

keyboard is a USB 1.1 hub...one USB 2.0 port on the tower is wasted.

one less PCI slot than we'r eused to...again I personally only use two slots myself, so not having four isn't going to affect me at the moment.

Over-all, I think the machines are fine.

Pick a major vendor and try to configure dual processor 64-bit workstations with 8 slots each capable of holding fast double-sided DDR DIMMs...+ PCI-X and I/O out the wazoo.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by salmonstk

Why no airport antena internally?

The fat heads of radio waves are too big for the speed holes in the aluminum case.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    kroehlkroehl Posts: 164member
    Quote:

complains?

-the bundled ram is a joke (as always)

-only ONE slot cd drive? you want me to waist time copying the contents to hd before making a copy of cds/dvdroms? WHAT??

-the case is TOO BIG. Ok, it's designed for duals so it needs the space; but only one model has duals. I was expecting a much smaller case, like half that.

THE PRICE! (surprise!)

<snip>

One cd/dvd drive? Max out the ram, copy to ram and burn baby burn.

Case too big? Get a bigger house.

Price too high? Get a second mortgage on your bigger house.

Anything for one of these suckers......

• Reply 34 of 39
    vikingviking Posts: 127member
    People seem to be complaining a lot about the price. Well who do you think picks up the check for all the R & D for the G5 chip? Hint: It aint Apple and it aint IBM. You want faster chips, you got a chip in (no pun intended.)
  • Reply 35 of 39
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    Price

only one optical drive

For me the reduced number of HD bays and PCI slots is OK

Non dual midrange

SP 1.6

DP 1.6

DP 2.0 would have been nice

BTW

To they really have 3 different motherboards?

one CPU no PCI X

One CPU with PCI X

two CPU with PCI X
  • Reply 36 of 39
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pesi

heh. well, i was trying to make a joke that i'd be complaining about some of the fastest memory currently available would be holding my system back

Well it would only fulfil 2 3rds of your bandwidth requirements still
  • Reply 37 of 39
    gardnerjgardnerj Posts: 167member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kroehl

One cd/dvd drive? Max out the ram, copy to ram and burn baby burn.

Case too big? Get a bigger house.

Price too high? Get a second mortgage on your bigger house.

Problems solved lets move on.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    If I wanted to aggressively increase my market share, I'd sell the low-end PM G5 either for $1500 or with zero profit, whichever is greater.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:

you want me to waist time copying the contents to hd before making a copy of cds/dvdroms? WHAT??

Thi is the most valid complaint I've seen so far. I mean, who has time to sit and wait 3 or 4 seconds for the DVD contents to copy to their hard drive? And then have to switch discs to burn content? Shame on you Apple! SHAME I SAY!

If you want to be taken seriously, let's move that DVD content over in at least 3/4 of an eye blink.