Low end Xserve?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Do we really need so expensive Xserve? Why there isn't low-cost model available?

Apple should also offer low-cost Xserve model for web server applications etc...

Is there market for low-cost Xserve model? Maybe Sun is too big?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    The Xserve is a low cost server...
  • Reply 2 of 10
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

It seems like a ton of cash for one of those things, but I'd shell it out if I had it.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    geobegeobe Posts: 235member
    They have it already, go to the Xserve site, there is a picture. They have xserve, raid, xserve-lite.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I'm guessing that Xserve sales dropped to zero today?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I'm guessing that Xserve sales dropped to zero today?

Not unless you can fit a G5 into a 1U space.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by geobe

They have it already, go to the Xserve site, there is a picture. They have xserve, raid, xserve-lite.

xServe-light... maybe a mild version too...

New Bold tasting Mild-xServe!

*smoking PCBoards cause cancer -Sergon General*

• Reply 7 of 10
    Who here remembers to Cobalt Qube? I still think the PM Cube was a good idea, just not designed with the right upgradbility factors. I would love a little server in similar form, capable of 2HD with several I/O Firewire and USB2 ports, and an upgradable small-form AGP card would make for an awesome and very capable system giving you the option to make it a stand-alone server on the corner of a desk or on a shelf, or being a mini-G5 single CPU little dynamo of a gaming machine. It wouldn't need a full spread of 8-slots for RAM, give us 2, something like...

G5 1GHz, 256MB, Dual 80GB SATA (Soft RAID), and a base ATI video card for ~$1,399 for a media server controlled via Ethernet would rock. I like the idea of my home network sharing multimedia files, music, etc all in one location.

Darnit, I just woke up, it was all a dream. Maybe I'll just have to get a 15" PPC970 PB. I can wait, but I don't want a 12", too small, 17" too large. 15"=just right. Fits perfectly in my back pack. Lets hope they're in full sales force by Christmas. I'll be in line for sure if the pricing is close to current but with high-end ATI Radeon graphics, G5, at least 1GB RAM, all on the new architecture. I think a LOT of people are waiting for the same things. As the saying goes, good things happen to those who wait. We've been waiting a while, cummon Apple, we know you're listening. Cash will be in hand soon.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by geobe

Xserve lite? That's the cluster node version released a couple of months ago.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

www.sun.com

Cheapest SUN server costs under $1000.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stratosfear

www.sun.com

Cheapest SUN server costs under $1000.

$2800 for a server isn't huge. Can't say I've ever really dealt with low cost servers though.