Panther, who needs it??

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Is your Mac sluggish and behind the times? No? Me neither.

After forking out a considerable sum of money for Jaguar is Panther really worth another $130?

My Mac works fine. It is stable and runs iMovie3, FCE, After Effects 5.5, Safari without a hitch. Why do I need to spend $130 on a .3 upgrade? I don't.

I'm no Luddite, when I see something that will benefit my working environment I will swarm to it like a dung beetle to poop and if someone can point out some benefits of 'Panther' I will happily convert. But until then....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    sushiismsushiism Posts: 131member
    hmm only thing id probably use would be mail, preview and font book maybe. I'd use labels if they coloured my icons but i think id be steering well clear of finder in general if it was as awful as that panther one
  • Reply 2 of 27
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I distinctly remember, "Jaguar, who needs it?" about a year ago.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    atomichamatomicham Posts: 185member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

There's always whiners before they even know the feature set.

With their logic, we should still be using System 6.

System 7!?!?! Why should I have multi-finder built in? I already have it in 6.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    And I'm sure you will hear 'Sabretooth' (or whatever) who needs it?' in the future. But that does not answer my question as to why spend $130 on a .3 upgrade to an already stable OS?
  • Reply 5 of 27
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Ah, the "Jaguar, who needs it?" nostalgia...

If you aren't intrigued by the Panther features, feel free to skip out.

I myself want Panther ASAP.

One thing that wasn't at all mentioned (only hinted by the amazing Quartz / PDF optimizations) was the issue of improved OS performance. Lots of individual apps being faster; not so much about the whole enchilada. Guess we'll find out in the months ahead.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Wombling, what is your working environment, by the way? Video production?
  • Reply 7 of 27
    *sigh* This old bag again?

Speed. Features. New core technologies. Compatibility with new apps.

Not to mention all the bug fixes that it certainly will have over our old 10.2.6.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    IMO, a lot of people look at these OS updates waiting for major seismological shifts to occur, and anything less seems unworthy of the upgrade. At this point, the changes we've seen from 10.0 to now have appeared on the exterior to be minor, but a lot of little moves add up to much bigger changes than we realize at first glance.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Um, Helloooo?

Full. Optimization. For. The. Gee. Five.

Womblingfree, would you need a diagram and hand signals for me explain further?

Sheesh.

Screed ...a little bit pissy.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

Um, Helloooo?

Full. Optimization. For. The. Gee. Five.

ummm Hellooooo?

its not even out yet adn hardly anyone will have them at this point and it will only be anywhere near wide spread at 10.4
  • Reply 11 of 27
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    And yet the very first customer of one will greatly appreciate it.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I'm buying. The wife's iBook is sub 10.2 and as such doesn't use OS X at all. Puts a crimp in the airporting between it and the 12" Powerbook. So when 10.3 ships I'll buy and bring both up.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    From what I seen of Panther, I can only say that I have never wanted to fork over $129 buck faster.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    mac007mac007 Posts: 11member
    Quote:

Originally posted by womblingfree

...After forking out a considerable sum of money for Jaguar is Panther really worth another $130?...

That's really a very subjective question which has no absolute right answer that applies to everyone. No one here knows your needs better than you, so any answer given would be pointless. It would be better for you to kick the tires at your nearest dealer, read the specs on the box, and make your decision based on what you see firsthand. If you decide that Panther is not necessary for your needs now that's great. Use what you have and enjoy.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    I don't need it, but I'll be getting it. How can I pass up having the latest Apple toy?

There are improvements to be sure. I don't need them, but my computing experience will benefit from them.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by frawgz

I don't need it, but I'll be getting it. How can I pass up having the latest Apple toy?

There are improvements to be sure. I don't need them, but my computing experience will benefit from them.

Lots of stuff will be added in 6 months. Who needs a faster computer?

It's all depends but for $130 (guessing) I'll be able to speed up my machine and get a bunch of things that most good shareware wouldn't do.

For all the documents I work with I'd have paid $130 for any app that does what expose does.

I'd also have paid $130 for a faster finder

I'd have paid $130 for a program that allows on the fly encryption of my home directory.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Panther might just be the first version I'm won't be afraid to show to everyone. Well...Jaguar was kinda...but Panther is the one I really will push onto people without hesitation.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    damndjdamndj Posts: 12member
    I will be at the Apple store here in Atlanta the day Panther goes on sale. I will not leave until a copy of Panther rests in a shiny Apple bag.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    i need it cuz i only have 10.1

at mac mall an maczone it only coasts 100 bucks

i want ichat av too
  • Reply 20 of 27
    actually ive changed my mind its on my maybe list now ive heard how it flys on a g4 700, but i dont think i'll be getting it unless i can hack the brushed metal out of the finder, sorry i just cant live with that fat thing managing my files, shallow? maybe. But I just prefered the old os9 way of managing files, for some reason its what i relaly like about a mac