G5 Drive Bay opens from top to bottom

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
According to Cnet, the new G5 optical drive bay is perfectly flat and opens from top to bottom, instead of sliding in and out.

Another sleek first.

Updates--inside and out

All three models have a new look, too. The new Power Mac's design is sleek, metallic, and very squared-off, compared to the rounded look of the G4 series. From afar, the G5 looks suspiciously like a standard, beige-box PC, distinguished only by handles and, of course, the big gray apple on the side. Up close, it's somewhat squat, silver (it's encased in aluminum), and superslick. Both the front and the back of the machine are covered with breathable mesh aluminum; the front features a perfectly flat optical-drive opening that actually retracts from top to bottom, rather than opening inward or outward. On the inside, Apple is using nine fans to cool this powerhouse's innards, but the company says that each fan runs independently, creating a machine two to three times quieter than the jet-engine-like G4.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    I dont understand. Top to bottom? Illustrate please...
  • Reply 2 of 20
    709709 Posts: 2,016member

I'm assuming they mean the liitle aluminum door cover slides down instead of hinging outward.

scrrraaaaaapppe.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Like this?

• Reply 4 of 20
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    thats freak'n awesome. I think i'll play with that for an hour and then it will break

No, it doesnt swing out, it slides down, into the case.. you know like from the future
  • Reply 5 of 20
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Think guillotine in reverse.

[edit:] We better make sure Clive doesn't get wind of this...or we're gonna see a 'Apple wants to chop our fingers off!!!' thread.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

Think guillotine in reverse.

Ah... sounds cool.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    again, totally worthless but pretty damn cool.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Yeah....and if it breaks.....errggrrrrr

My DVSE iMac's slot loading drive is broken slightly, because someone teased it by putting a CD in and then removing it. It now doesn't properly eject CD-RWs
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

again, totally worthless but pretty damn cool.

And isn't that really what we live for?
  • Reply 10 of 20
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    It's little unique things like this that make people crave things (not to mention the fact the rest of it is mindblowing.)
  • Reply 11 of 20
    eupfhoriaeupfhoria Posts: 257member
    wouldn't that be annoyingly slow? I want my drive to open....
  • Reply 12 of 20
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    It's that Star Trek technology, though, so it's pretty quick...PHFFHHT, PHFFFHT.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    brunobruinbrunobruin Posts: 552member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

It's that Star Trek technology, though, so it's pretty quick...PHFFHHT, PHFFFHT.

You mean there's a stagehand inside the case pulling cables when you want to open the drive?
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by BrunoBruin

You mean there's a stagehand inside the case pulling cables when you want to open the drive?

What are these "stagehands" and how can I get some to install in my house?
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:

What would be good is Star Warsesque speed. I've never understood how people didn't die every time a door closed (besides the fact that it's a movie )

Anyway, it sounds sweet. I love those little details. Like the glowing apple on the laptops. I got so excited when I first saw that when my TiBook was new
  • Reply 16 of 20
    brunobruinbrunobruin Posts: 552member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

What are these "stagehands" and how can I get some to install in my house?

You can find them here.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

How cool would it be if you could actually have that SHESSSS sliding door sound when you open the drive!

...okay it'll be cool for about the first 10 times.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Sounds nifty. I hope the disk tray is black and not beige... I installed the Pioneer 4x DVD burner and it's beige. Ick.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    it would be even better if that superdrive is slot-loading. [along with the up/down drive door]
  • Reply 20 of 20
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Yeeeahh!... I like to load the slot... up.. and down.