iChat 2.0

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
digital hub, digital hub...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by unremarkable

I can't get either audio or video to work...plaintalk mic and kritter USB cam with shareware driver.

Looks nice, though!

iChat specifically says it only works with Firewire camcorders/cameras. It does work with my Sony (iLink) Camcorder, and of course it will work with iSight.

Not that I've been able to make it work over the 'net, though...
  • Reply 2 of 12
    So there's no chance it'll work with the open source driver Macam and a Logitech Quickcam Express? That's the only webcam I got at the moment. It's a pieca junk....
  • Reply 3 of 12
    ... it's off to the digital hub we go... da da da da da da da da hi ho, hi ho....
  • Reply 4 of 12
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    Steve said the videoconferencing protocol is based on standards, so it should be inoperable with others when they start to "copy" Apple. What standards are these?

By the way, it's too bad AOL can't get in on the act. However, AIM does have a Talk function. I don't suppose iChat AV works with that?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    Works fine with my camera and my friends camera. This is really cool. My favorite part is the 2 second lag, that makes everything, that much funnier.

Everything is super simple to set up. That is if you have everything to set up with, which is the problem. Two apple computers, two firewire cameras, two highspeed internet connections, and two people willing to make fools of them selves, in a video conference. Yeehaw.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    So, what exactly does this work with? Does it have to be with someone else on a Mac? No one on my 100+ buddy list has any "phone" or "video" options.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleMaster

So, what exactly does this work with? Does it have to be with someone else on a Mac? No one on my 100+ buddy list has any "phone" or "video" options.

Yeah.. It's gotta be iChatAV--->iChatAV. I was hoping that it would work with the TALK function of AIM on Windows but it doesn't. I hope that's added in soon. I hope it's added in by the time Panther is commercially released. I also hope there's a version of Panther that'll run on a G3 like mine.....
  • Reply 8 of 12
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    What I want to know about iChat AV is what (new or basic depending on how you look at it) AIM features are included with it; i.e. user profiles, better away message handling, etc?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Anyone know if you can RECEIVE a video chat if you don't have a webcam yourself?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

Anyone know if you can RECEIVE a video chat if you don't have a webcam yourself?

I don't think you can. I think both parties needs to have a cam of some sort. I've already talked to Brad about that.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Proud iBook Owner 2k2

I don't think you can. I think both parties needs to have a cam of some sort. I've already talked to Brad about that.

Yet under the Buddies menu, there's an option to "Invite to One-way Video Chat." Shouldn't that allow you to video chat without a camera?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Quote:

Originally posted by frawgz

Yet under the Buddies menu, there's an option to "Invite to One-way Video Chat." Shouldn't that allow you to video chat without a camera?

Yep. It works. I've tested it.