Safari 1.0 Now Available for Download

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    wiftywifty Posts: 70member
    Has anyone else noticed that small text has started to become unreadable? I've not changed any of the default settings? e.g. http://www.bbc.co.uk. It didn't do this in beta. Have they just changed the default font size or has there been a change in the way it displays text?
  • Reply 22 of 64
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Immanuel, http://arabic.cnn.com/ seems to render fine...
  • Reply 23 of 64
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Seems not a single major problem was fixed. What the heck is the difference between this and v.80?

Wrong, number of bugs have been fixed since v80. At this used car database I can now view all photos of the cars by clicking the appropriate thumbnail. Also when pressing 'close window' it actually closes the window where before I got Java error message.

It renders this page correctly now where before it was all but unreadable. Sure it has some way to go but it is improving
  • Reply 24 of 64
    wiftywifty Posts: 70member
    Agreed. There are a number of our sites that use DHTML menus and these didn't work correctly at all in the beta version. Now they all work, and a lot faster and smoother than IE as well. No more having to switch to IE to look at them. Horrah!
  • Reply 25 of 64
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

What browser isn't "beta"?

I can tell you that a Java 1.4.1 update is on it's way and it will fix some issues with Java applets.

That's very good news. But I believe it when I see it \ Experience has tought me to be pessimistic when it comes to future improvement promises. But this time Apple has to deliver and they know it. If this 1.4.1 version corrects just half the bugs I'm happy. Any word on release date?
  • Reply 26 of 64
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kelib

That's very good news. But I believe it when I see it \ Experience has tought me to be pessimistic when it comes to future improvement promises. But this time Apple has to deliver and they know it. If this 1.4.1 version corrects just half the bugs I'm happy. Any word on release date?

No, the DP has just been released.
  • Reply 27 of 64
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

No, the DP has just been released.

Well, I just downloaded the DP of 1.4.1 (June 21, 2003) and still have problems with the collapse II game at shockwave.com. I know this isn't critical but make me nervous about other Java apps. Also I still can't view the web cams at harvey Mudd College, although I'm not sure this Java related.
  • Reply 28 of 64
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I have just downloaded Safari and i was surprised how easy the installation was. I just install it, just click on it, and everything was ok, all what i needed was just to log me again.

The fonts and the aqua style is much better than on IE. Now i can appreciate fully the work of Brad.

For the speed i have to wait more to make myself an opinion, but it seems faster
  • Reply 29 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by physguy

Well, I just downloaded the DP of 1.4.1 (June 21, 2003) and still have problems with the collapse II game at shockwave.com. I know this isn't critical but make me nervous about other Java apps. Also I still can't view the web cams at harvey Mudd College, although I'm not sure this Java related.

I'm talking about a Developer Preview of an update to the existing Java 1.4.1.
  • Reply 30 of 64
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

I'm talking about a Developer Preview of an update to the existing Java 1.4.1.

Is that different than the DP102?? I thought DP was for Developer Preview??

Thanks,
  • Reply 31 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by physguy

Is that different than the DP102?? I thought DP was for Developer Preview??

Thanks,

It's the same - sorry - move on
  • Reply 32 of 64
    macvaultmacvault Posts: 323member
    Why do all my pages seem to be cached? Since I installed Safari 1.0 yesterday it seems that all the pages I go to are old, and I have to click reload everytime to get the most recent page.???? Maybe I have a flacky transparent proxy on my net somewhere.?.?
  • Reply 33 of 64
    The cache bug has actually been present in all the leaked builds after Beta 2. I was really really really hoping 85 wouldn't be the GM because of this, but it is.

It affects these forums, among other places, requiring the user to manually refresh the page to properly get it from the server.

I hate it.
  • Reply 34 of 64
    i never have to reload on A/I pages, but then i book mark on current topics. maybe that's why.
  • Reply 35 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wifty

Has anyone else noticed that small text has started to become unreadable? I've not changed any of the default settings? e.g. http://www.bbc.co.uk. It didn't do this in beta. Have they just changed the default font size or has there been a change in the way it displays text?

They took out the minimum size setting as some sites were relying on tiny text to format properly.
  • Reply 36 of 64
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I think most people can avoid raising their blood pressure over Safari by simply acknowledging one simple point.

In the good old days, Apple tested apps till they were bulletproof and then released them. The "new" Apple operates closer to the Redmond system, where apps are released and then improved considerably.

All the iApps have needed tune-ups. Safari 1.0 has some glitches, but version 2.0 will rock.
  • Reply 37 of 64
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Still Max 4 connections.

Still doesn't download images from cache (this one really pisses me off).

Still can't view or copy the URL of files in the download window.

Still can't reload server-side failures.

Still can't selectively reload failed images in a page.

Still doesn't send referring URL when downloading.

Same complaints here.

Still my default browser though. \

hopefully the issues will be fixed soon.

Apple did fix one MAJOR issue [for me @ least] in v85 though......

When you open a new tab while the previous tab is loading, in previous versions, if you were typing in a url and the previous tab starts loading the page, your text will get cut off & you lose the text you already typed.

In v85, it doesn't do that anymore!!!! Thankfully!
  • Reply 38 of 64
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Safari stinks....Camino for me.

Safari doen't have the Java support I want, and it crashed numerous times, on top of that, it wouldn't let me save bookmarks.

though it was damn fast
  • Reply 39 of 64
    It sounds like some of your problems lie elsewhere, Wrong Robust, like perhaps your preferences are corrupted and need to be trashed.
  • Reply 40 of 64
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Wow. Check out the auto-tab feature. Is this new to v85?

To activate it, make a folder of bookmarks in your bookmarks bar, and then click the auto-tab checkbox.

What happens is that instead of a menu, it opens up all the contents in tabs. It's a great shortcut. Maybe we'll be able to bookmark sets of tabs soon, too. That would just be great!