Real World Speed

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Okay, the G5s are definitely a technological leap for the mac platform, and in certain respects, home computing as a whole.

However, Mac zealots who think that the G5 will crush all competition are setting themselves up for a major disappointment once G5s hit the retail lanes. I'm not saying the rejuvenation of the mac platform is not going to happen, I just think that we are coming up to speed with the rest of the computing world, rather than surpassing it.

Generation 5 is the single most advanced piece of hardware Apple has ever produced: a 64bit cpu, massive RAM capability, a smartcase that can proactively control it's temperature and does away with internal cabling, its a very exciting machine. While the PC world has no single consumer solution that offers the same feature set as the G5, all of these capabilities do exist in the PC world.

The big difference is that Apple is combining all of these capabilities in their classic practice: top of the line construction, revolutionary case design, and most importantly of all, a modern BSD based OS which has the most advanced GUI the world has ever seen.

I've been using OSX for only 1 year now, but it's clear to me that no other operating system is making the revolutionary strides that Apple is consistently rolling out with X. The intuitive nature of OSX is precisely what is so enticing for me: I don?t want to be treated like a inept child when I am using my personal computer (this is already handled by XP at work): I'm a confessed technofile, I don?t need my hand held when I'm using a computer.

Ironically, while Macs are generally stereotyped as being simplistic and meant for technophobes, Windows tries to control the movement of its users far more than OSX ever has.

I believe the G5 is a turning point for Apple: but instead of the Mac being catapulted to the head of the computing class like some believe, I think it puts us square in the middle. OSX has already started earning Apple more respect in the computing world: unix and linux users are rapidly adopting OSX because of it's robust capabilities. When audio and video professionals get a look at the I/O and processing specs of the G5, they'll be ecstatic. The fights not over yet, but an important battle has been won.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Power Mac G5 = Current Hardware
  • Reply 2 of 6
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    The only way of testing "real world speed" is by getting the G5s out into the real world. This has yet to happen, so you cannot make any assertions whatsoever about performance.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    You are correct, but I think you might be forgetting the cost equation. All of these features are available on the PC side, but at what cost? I can't say for sure, but I think Apple has them beat on that angle for the time being.

We'll also have to wait and see what Panther brings. Typically an Apple OS update brings more speed, but everyone once in a while they have to make advances that cost speed on low end machines to move forward. If Panther continues to increase the feel/speed of the OS, then that's another advancement ahead of the curve for Apple. Microsoft doesn't release performance updates.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    mugwumpmugwump Posts: 233member
    Um, thanks for this mundane, generalized, chat topic that is mentioned in many, many posts.

Anyone who does "computing" on a dual Powermac g4 can testify how rapid things are done using the Mac system. For those specific times where flat-out rendering or processing is required, then the g4 may have been lacking.

But take the current g4 system, with the optimized consumer iApps, then add in the streamlined and ultra efficient Apple pro apps, then take into consideration the applications that are optimized for Dual processors with Altivec and how well OS X is organized, and you begin to deal with "Real World Speed."

Since the g5 offers such a magnitude improvement over the above system, it's all much greater than current offerings.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    ryyoryyo Posts: 19member
    mugwump:

Always the rationals are with speed and performance. I guess I feel that this is not the single most important factor in computing. Sure the G5 has impressive specs, but I feel OSX is what really makes the Mac expieriance a step above the rest. Afterall, browsing the web doesn't take a lot of horse power, but you still need an OS...

bunge:

I totally agree! Imagine how much it would cost to put together a PC with the same hardware as a G5? I bet you would be up around $5,000 or $6,000, and as far as I know, there is no case in the PC world that accomplishes what the G5 has.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ryyo

Okay, the G5s are definitely a technological leap for the mac platform, and in certain respects, home computing as a whole.

However, Mac zealots who think that the G5 will crush all competition are setting themselves up for a major disappointment once G5s hit the retail lanes. I'm not saying the rejuvenation of the mac platform is not going to happen, I just think that we are coming up to speed with the rest of the computing world, rather than surpassing it.

Generation 5 is the single most advanced piece of hardware Apple has ever produced: a 64bit cpu, massive RAM capability, a smartcase that can proactively control it's temperature and does away with internal cabling, its a very exciting machine. While the PC world has no single consumer solution that offers the same feature set as the G5, all of these capabilities do exist in the PC world.

The big difference is that Apple is combining all of these capabilities in their classic practice: top of the line construction, revolutionary case design, and most importantly of all, a modern BSD based OS which has the most advanced GUI the world has ever seen.

I've been using OSX for only 1 year now, but it's clear to me that no other operating system is making the revolutionary strides that Apple is consistently rolling out with X. The intuitive nature of OSX is precisely what is so enticing for me: I don?t want to be treated like a inept child when I am using my personal computer (this is already handled by XP at work): I'm a confessed technofile, I don?t need my hand held when I'm using a computer.

Ironically, while Macs are generally stereotyped as being simplistic and meant for technophobes, Windows tries to control the movement of its users far more than OSX ever has.

I believe the G5 is a turning point for Apple: but instead of the Mac being catapulted to the head of the computing class like some believe, I think it puts us square in the middle. OSX has already started earning Apple more respect in the computing world: unix and linux users are rapidly adopting OSX because of it's robust capabilities. When audio and video professionals get a look at the I/O and processing specs of the G5, they'll be ecstatic. The fights not over yet, but an important battle has been won.

Thanks for this very good post.

I agree that Windows XP is not intuitive but is easy to use due to the multiples helps included in it.

The last example: my wife asked to configurate my PC in 256 colors required for a soft for my kids. I try to go to the monitors sections : impossible to have differents setting other than 32 bit or 16 bit ,

after trying to find desesperatly where this ****ing thing was , i call the help of XP : i tape 256 colors and he give me the solution, who was everything but not intuitive. Without this help, my kids will have never been able to play their game.

On the other side i have never asked any help on any mac os , classic or OS X.

The G5 will not destroy the market, but since a long time in Apple history, the performance of the macs are respectful and on par with the X-86 world.