I want DVI in the 12" PB!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I am going to college in late August. Do you think by that time there will be a 12" PowerBook with DVI? I want to hook it up to my ADC Display and the VGA doesn't work.

A speed bump would also be nice, but not really essential.

The current PB 12" with Combo Drive and Apple Care is only $1377. A really good deal. But no DVI

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    marcusmarcus Posts: 227member
    I feel for your dilema...

I already have an Powerbook 12", and can confirm that they are very, very sweet machines. It is the best Mac I have had since my Wallstreet Powerbook! It is amazing for the portability it offers... but you are right, the lack of DVI is the killer... I have a 17" Studio display taunting me on my desk as I type.

I would have said about 'now', 6 months after release, was traditionally the right time for a revision... if normal cycles were in place. But...

I look at the 15" Powerbook, and I really think that any predictions on this are worthless! it could be tomorrow it could be next year!

The only thing that makes me think sooner, is the German/French site which showed the SD model as EOL. They were right about the Powermacs so maybe... However it is anyones guess if a revision will even receive DVI out capabilities...

Hence, tomorrow, the Powerbook is off to a new home If it had had DVI it would be staying...

Although, I have a Dual 2ghz G5 on the way to help heal the pain
  • Reply 2 of 11
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I'm envisioning an all-three-model update of the PowerBooks within the next three months, to get the 15" into the Aluminum case, with the 17" feature set, and to use the Motorola 7457 processor across the board, boosting speed and lowering power consumption.

Along the way, I'd think that adding DVI to the 12" would be fairly likely. If I can get both DVI and a 7457 in a 12", I'll buy one immediately -- that's what I've been waiting for as an upgrade to my current 800 Mhz 15".

Of course, it's just wild guessing and wishful thinking that the 7457 is on the way. Without the 7457, about the only PowerBook update I'd expect anytime soon would be moving the 15", with little or no speed boost, to an Aluminum case and the 17" feature set.

If 7457s come along, but are in short supply, I think the 15" and 17" would get them first, and the 12" might not be updated at all for another few months. I can't see Apple updating the 12" only for features like DVI if it's not getting a speed bump at the same time, nor can I see any speed bumps for any PowerBook based on the current G4s, which are too power hungry beyond 1 GHz.

If you want to buy in late August... Hmmm, I'd say there's a chance you'll get what you want, but with less than two months to go, and no noise about imminent 7457s, an update that's in time for your needs seems iffy.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    If no update then I will probably get the Studio Display and a cheap PC (< $500) until they are updated.

Any other options?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by soulcrusher

If no update then I will probably get the Studio Display and a cheap PC (< $500) until they are updated.

Any other options?

The other option is the Gefen adaptor VGA-->ADC...

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1301

It seems an ideal, if expensive option...
  • Reply 5 of 11
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Marcus

The other option is the Geffen adaptor VGA--->ADC...

The quality sucks, the block is big and ugly, and you can't change the resoltion.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

The quality sucks, the block is big and ugly, and you can't change the resoltion.

I too have heard very, very mixed reviews...

I would say to buy/look with caution.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Marcus

The other option is the Gefen adaptor VGA-->ADC...

$300! DAMN. I could actually get the temporary PC with that money.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by soulcrusher

The current PB 12" with Combo Drive and Apple Care is only $1377. A really good deal. But no DVI

Is that from your college? That's a great deal.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

Is that from your college? That's a great deal.

Yep, it's in the Recommended Systems section in The Apple Store for Duke University.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Count me in for DVI on the 12-inch PowerBook!

Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

If I can get both DVI and a 7457 in a 12", I'll buy one immediately

That would be the sweet spot for me as well. I like to dream about a 12-inch PowerBook G5, but a 1Ghz G4 would be just fine for my modest needs. The low-power 7457 would extend battery life without any changes to the battery. How cool would that be? And it would obviously be simply insane to hook up a 12-inch PowerBook to a 20" Cinema Display via Apple's $100 DVI-to-ADC converter. I'd be in heaven, or at least close.

Escher
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

That would be the sweet spot for me as well. I like to dream about a 12-inch PowerBook G5, but a 1Ghz G4 would be just fine for my modest needs. The low-power 7457 would extend battery life without any changes to the battery. How cool would that be? And it would obviously be simply insane to hook up a 12-inch PowerBook to a 20" Cinema Display via Apple's $100 DVI-to-ADC converter. I'd be in heaven, or at least close.

Escher

That's a nice image. I want one even more NOW.

APPLE PLEASE!