future upgrade of the G5 tower

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
In the future when future chips will be avalaible, some companies will products upgrade cards for the G5 tower.

The big question is : will it be possible to upgrade a single tower to a dual tower ?

If yes does the 1,8 ghz version support or both versions even the "slighy cripped" 1,6 ghz ?

I think that the mobo of the 1,8 appears to be the same of the dual, the 1,6 ones lack some feature like PCI-X.

The answer should be in the memory controller or in the CPU slots. If the single have only one CPU slots it will be the end of the story.

Does somebody has any clue on this ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Strangling a PPC 970 on a G4 PCI bus would be inhumane.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Also, the fan layout may be different on the dual vs. single proc. mobos. Obviously you could put more fans in, but having them be the same fans that work with variable spin speed software may be difficult to come by if apple doesn't offer them as retail parts.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Has anyone seen a clear enough picture of the mother board to tell if they have daughter cards or ZIF connectors for the processors, or are they soldered to the mother board?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

You are right , but the subject was the upgrade of the G5 tower, not the upgrade of a G4 tower with a G5

elisaeffect

Quote:

Also, the fan layout may be different on the dual vs. single proc. mobos. Obviously you could put more fans in, but having them be the same fans that work with variable spin speed software may be difficult to come by if apple doesn't offer them as retail parts.

Right but it will be not so difficult for Upgrade companing to offer a clone of the Apple's one. If the mobo has not been designed differently by purpose, we should find on it the proper connector for these extra fans.

However the only inside pict of the G5 i have seen is the one of the dual G5.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I think Powerdoc's talking about upgrading G5 systems, from single G5 to dual G5, and perhaps updating the speed of the G5s -- NOT updating a G4 system to a G5 system.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    macjedaimacjedai Posts: 263member
    The 1.6GHz, 1.8GHz, and the dual 2.0GHz each have different arrangements of PCI.

The 1.6 is stuck at normal PCI (33MHz)

The 1.8 has a combination PCI-X speeds, forget if it is 2 100MHz and one 133MHz, or vice versa.

The Dual 2.0 has all 133MHz PCI-X.

Think I read it on "The Mac Observer", IIRC.