iChat AV, no video on G3 machines.

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hi,

After doing a few tests it seems that the video component of iChat AV only works on G4 machines....

I think thats a bit tight of them, the 900mhz iBook is no slouch even in iMovie. You'd think that it would work.

My guess is that the codec is so tightly bound into altivec to make it work right that G3's just got dumped.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    francisg3francisg3 Posts: 168member
    Well, Apple says you need at least a 600 Mhz G3, which my iBook has.

I have a Sony DV camera - the TRV17, and it's connecting fine, and I'm seeing video in the camera's viewfinder, however, iChat is not recognizing it in the video preference pane, though. Do I need a genuine firewire webcam to make this really work? Has anyone got around this?

BTW, the audio iChat works like a DREAM! Just like a speakerphone. My iBook has a built-in mic, so I'm just loving life.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by francisG3

Well, Apple says you need at least a 600 Mhz G3, which my iBook has.

I have a Sony DV camera - the TRV17, and it's connecting fine, and I'm seeing video in the camera's viewfinder, however, iChat is not recognizing it in the video preference pane, though. Do I need a genuine firewire webcam to make this really work? Has anyone got around this?

BTW, the audio iChat works like a DREAM! Just like a speakerphone. My iBook has a built-in mic, so I'm just loving life.

A G3 Mac doesn't support FW DV cameras in iChat - I don't know if it will be any different in the final version.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    macserverxmacserverx Posts: 217member
    Remember this is a beta. And on the fly MPEG-4 (most likely) encoding probably isn't easy for a G3. I haven't tried the A/V feature but maybe if you lower the bandwidths limit, it won't encode as large images or as many frames, or however they save bandwidth. Just a guess.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Note Apple marketing photos show an iSight mounted on an iBook.

The iSight is not a DV camera
  • Reply 5 of 6
    gizzmonicgizzmonic Posts: 511member
    I had a chat session last night using my canon GL1 for video and audio.

The only problems I had (not related to iChat either) is that the Canon won't stay on unless tape is rolling...makes it hard to use as a webcam, but that's not why I spent $2,000 on it anyway