"Kick-ass."

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Was it just me, or is Apple all of a sudden trying to be edgy, to appeal to those with-it teen programmers that buy all their grunge rock from iTMS? I counted four declarations of the word "kick-ass." Even Rubinstein attempted to force it out during the promo reel (as unconvincingly as it was). Add this to the new industrial design of the G5, which looks more like a classifiable weapon than ever (screw the tanks, this one can GRATE someone to death!), evidence that Apple may be abandoning their soft, bubbly, and colorful motifs. I expected Phil Schiller to pull a "Rock on!" during the bake-off, and Steve seemed mere seconds away from launching into a full-on Bob Dylan explosion.

Or maybe it was just me.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    steve said kick-ass 3 times i think...might have been four. i did notice it and thought it was kinda odd for jobz...perhaps its his catchphrase for the week he is learnign to use to be more 'hip'

haha i thought it was really funny talkign to al gore
  • Reply 2 of 10
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I laughed my ass off when Rubenstein said "kick ass". He has this slight smirk afterwards, like he can't believe he's actually saying it, but Steve is behind the camera pointing his finger at him or something. Classic.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    I noticed that, too. It was so weird and out of place. One time was weird enough, but there were a total of four times.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i was catching relays about the show on websites and chatrooms, and when peepz wrote in 'kickass', i thought they were just adding in their own vernacular to the great Steve's words. i didn't realize he really said it (and Ruby too) till i watched the show myself on delay. The first one was pretty strange, and his other two seemed almost forced. Ruby's, to me, seemed a bit more natural than Steve's "kickass"es.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I hardly noticed Jobs saying it, but Rubenstein was pretty funny.

I don't know why people don't use expletives more. They ****ing rock!
  • Reply 6 of 10
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    If you read the account of Jobs' comments about the Segway you'll see he's prone to bouts of potty mouth....he likes to talk about people "shitting in their pants" an awful lot.....
  • Reply 7 of 10
    I really don't know if you can use it against them, really. Think about it. Yes, they said "kick-ass" numerous times through the keynote but they also said "super happy" and "super excited" several times also. The way I figure it is the edgey "kick-ass" comments get cancelled out automatically by the nerdy "super-whatever" comments. So, we're back to square one. All is good.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    I'm really excited about 'kick-ass', I think it's the best thing we've ever done.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Well, Steve is wearing his jeans rolled up now at the bottom, so he's trying to "speak to the kids". Next keynote?

"This thing is fückin' SICK...yo, check it out...". Then he and Phil will high-five and "bro' hug" one another...you know the one I'm talking about (watch any talk show on BET or MTV's "The Real World").

If Schiller comes out with his hat on sideways, sucking on a lollipop and doing a pimp roll, I'm buying a Dell.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    I laughed my ass off when I heard Steve Jobs say "it'll make them shit their pants." Too bad he didn't say it at WWDC.