The Radeon Pro is $50 more...worth it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    maxcom29maxcom29 Posts: 44member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bodhi

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra or the ATI Radeon 9600 Pro

The Radeon Pro is $50 more...worth it?

Both are not worth it. Go with the Radeom 9800 Pro, it's worth the extra cash. It's the top card in the wintel world.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Yeah that is what they are saying at accelerateyourmac.com

I think I may take the plunge.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    johnhenryjohnhenry Posts: 152member
    I guess it depends on what you are using it for. I am assuming games? At this point I see the 9800pro as a waste of $$$. The 9600 pro is a great card that will run anything you need. Do stay away from the 5200 though. Anyway, I would suggest going to tomshardwareguide.com as they have many write ups.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    What is so wrong with the geforcefx 5200?

everyone is bashing it...it can't be THAT bad....how does it compare to the radeon 9000? or the geforce 4mx?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Well these benchmarks are obviously PCcentric, but they give you an idea of the cards being discussed

Toms 9600Pro Comparo
  • Reply 6 of 9
    qaziiqazii Posts: 305member
    How does the amount of memory factor in here? The FX5200 and 9600 have 64MB and the 9800 has 128MB. This is less than certain Wintel versions.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Thats true, wtf does apple have to put a crippled card in their system???
  • Reply 8 of 9
    qaziiqazii Posts: 305member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JohnHenry

Thats true, wtf does apple have to put a crippled card in their system???

Cost?

(price differences according to pricewatch; PC versions)

9800 128MB to 256 MB difference: $137

9600 64MB to 128 MB difference: no 64MB PC version

5200 64MB to 128 MB difference: $7

or maybe heat?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Well, I have no problem with the 128 vs the 256, in fact there is no real performance gain for most stuff at this point. (at least from what I've read)

But to only offer a "special" neutered 9600 pro is just weak. These are not consumer machines (ok, technically they are but they aren't imacs) and there should at least be an option to upgrade thats not a 300 dollar jump to the "i just want to spend money" 9800 pro.

I have no problem with them "starting" with a 5200 or whatever but if I'm going to upgrade to a descent gpu it shouldnt cost me 300 to 350 bucks.

And just to bitch some mo' about ram (I seem to be in a bad mood this evening). Why does apple still offer a powermac with only 256mb of ram. I wouldnt recommend that little in my mom's ibook! Is ANYONE still using this little ram in a machine less than 2 years old? ANYONE? The first thing anyone does with these things is go out and buy more ram because 256 doesnt cut it. Hell, in the dualie, 512 doesn't cut it! Thats 256 per proc right? Bogus.

So.....the G5 is still cool though