Apple Mouse & Keyboard

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
With all this WWDC news, no one noticed to see Apple completely dropped the "Pro" Mouse & Keyboard with the introduction of the "eMac/Apple" Mouse & Keyboard. They now retail for $49 instead of $59.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    evoevo Posts: 198member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jacob Wootten

With all this WWDC news, no one noticed to see Apple completely dropped the "Pro" Mouse & Keyboard with the introduction of the "eMac/Apple" Mouse & Keyboard. They now retail for $49 instead of $59.

Yeah, but... why isn't there a new mouse to go along with the PM G5 that all the rumor sites keep talking about? Seriously... we've got all this groundbreaking technology in a pro desktop system, and it still comes with a whopping 1 button mouse. The Power Mac mouse is now the biggest (and easiest to replace) bottleneck on the computer. \
  • Reply 2 of 16
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Agreed. Notice how much Steve said "right-click" during the keynote demos? I think new mice are on the way soon. MWNY ain't far away kids. Still plenty of time for mice, LCDs, 15" laptops, and gadgets galore, all in flat gray aluminum!
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Well, with regards to right clicking, I think he was referring to the fact that expose can be easily used with multi-button mice. As for keyboard/mouse/display changes, see the g5 video after the photoshop guy talks, all 3 are there in grey + chrome logo.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Steve will die before Apple goes past a one-button mouse.

The single most aggravating thing in the history of Apple Computer.

IT'S A SCROLL WHEEL! USE IT SOMETIME!
  • Reply 5 of 16
    patchoulipatchouli Posts: 402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jacob Wootten

Actually, I touched on this subject yesterday.

So you're happy about a measly $10 price drop in exchange for an ugly featureless keyboard? Excited about the dated mouse too? I'd gladly pay a bit more for a NICE keyboard with (dare I say) a launch button or two (I am sure your average Mac user will be able to handle it).

Why have a gorgeous and powerful $4000 computer with a piece of shite plastic lucite mouse and a keyboard sitting in a lucite bucket? I also can't believe they moved the USB wires to the middle. They are so conspicuous now.

Of course we can't forget about a mouse, yes with two buttons and a SCROLL wheel! I find it ironic that Apple offers mostly windscreen (Cinema) display (which usually need more scrolling) yet there is no scroll feature on their mice.

A new Apple Pro Mouse and Apple Pro Mouse are desperately needed. Don't charge THAT much for a system then expect people to go out and pay another $100 for a decent set of input devices. How about a nice Alu-ish set a la the new PowerBooks?
  • Reply 6 of 16
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Please everyone quit crying about the keyboard/mouse not matching the G5. How long will it be until the G5 ships? I will GUARANTEE you that by the time it does ship there will be a matching keyboard and mouse, Jobs would have nothing less. Now, wether or not it's a 2 button Scrollwheel mouse and more functional keyboard are still up in the air, but THEY WILL have an integrated and consistant design.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Patchouli

Actually, I touched on this subject yesterday.

So you're happy about a measly $10 price drop in exchange for an ugly featureless keyboard? Excited about the dated mouse too? I'd gladly pay a bit more for a NICE keyboard with (dare I say) a launch button or two (I am sure your average Mac user will be able to handle it).

Why have a gorgeous and powerful $4000 computer with a piece of shite plastic lucite mouse and a keyboard sitting in a lucite bucket? I also can't believe they moved the USB wires to the middle. They are so conspicuous now.

Of course we can't forget about a mouse, yes with two buttons and a SCROLL wheel! I find it ironic that Apple offers mostly windscreen (Cinema) display (which usually need more scrolling) yet there is no scroll feature on their mice.

A new Apple Pro Mouse and Apple Pro Mouse are desperately needed. Don't charge THAT much for a system then expect people to go out and pay another $100 for a decent set of input devices. How about a nice Alu-ish set a la the new PowerBooks?

I am not super happy about the keyboard, mouse or the price drop, but I am the student technology advisor at my high school and we are a Mac school. 150 iMac G3s, 50 iMac G4s, and 100 eMacs, all for a school of 633 students. But back to the point, we constantly have people break the mice; the cords into the base of the mouse itself have ripped right out as there is no support, and with the price drops it will be cheaper to replace.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by HamCamJimmy

Well, with regards to right clicking, I think he was referring to the fact that expose can be easily used with multi-button mice. As for keyboard/mouse/display changes, see the g5 video after the photoshop guy talks, all 3 are there in grey + chrome logo.

Actually, only the mouse & keyboard are alu - the monitor is same old CInema Display. But, am I the only one noticing the lack of cords on either the mouse OR the keyboard in the shot in question. Go thru frame by frame. Unless Apple is messing with us and just cut off the cords
  • Reply 9 of 16
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

Please everyone quit crying about the keyboard/mouse not matching the G5. How long will it be until the G5 ships? I will GUARANTEE you that by the time it does ship there will be a matching keyboard and mouse, Jobs would have nothing less.

Why would they not have them ready to show yesterday? I though it was so strange that there was no mention of aesthetically matching mice and keyboards.

I guess they could introduce them separately at a later date, but that just seems weird.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    The monitor is the same old design but has a metallic look instead of pinstriping.

looksee
  • Reply 11 of 16
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Quote:

The monitor is the same old design but has a metallic look instead of pinstriping.

looksee

You're right, that's definitely different. I thought at first the lack of stripes could just be a trick of the reflection, but it doesn't appear so. The feet on the current display are clear, and these are opaque.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    plus, the Apple logo on the current monitors is mirrored, and when you see these monitors rotating in the video, the logo is clearly solid black, just like that mouse that was mentioned. These are new.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macjamrock

Actually, only the mouse & keyboard are alu - the monitor is same old CInema Display. But, am I the only one noticing the lack of cords on either the mouse OR the keyboard in the shot in question. Go thru frame by frame. Unless Apple is messing with us and just cut off the cords

The Monitor is the same resolution but the appearance has been modified slightly to match the powerbooks and the g5.

The new keyboard and mouse ARE wireless, 2 BUTTON (This is a pro feature necessary for Apples' recent software acquisitions, specifically Shake), and aluminum and black in appearance.

They will all be ready by August.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Quote:

plus, the Apple logo on the current monitors is mirrored, and when you see these monitors rotating in the video, the logo is clearly solid black, just like that mouse that was mentioned. These are new.

Are we watching the same video? When chrome is not reflecting light... it looks black. There are a few times in this video when you can tell it's chrome. I think you can't see the pinstripes because they're too small to see in this video. It's the same ol' display.. as with the mouse and keyboard. I think they just cut the cords for neatness.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by buckeye

The new keyboard and mouse ARE wireless, 2 BUTTON (This is a pro feature necessary for Apples' recent software acquisitions, specifically Shake), and aluminum and black in appearance.

I'm not sure what makes me take pause here. Maybe it's the fact you suggest Shake needs a 2 button mouse instead of a 3 button mouse just like many unix apps.

I don't know a lot of pros that'll be too impressed with wireless keyboards and mice either. That's all fine for a home environment but where security and uptime matter it's somewhat stupid.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    i think the only reason there isn't a 2 button mouse has to do with the press and media. Imagine Apple releases a two button mouse tomorrow. c|net and PC Magazine will have a field day: "Apple finally catches up with the PC after 20-something years with a new TWO button mouse!"