Where does the rest of Apple's line go from here?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by RolandG

Don't you also think that Apple should look for/develop together with IBM a true mobile similar to the Pentium-m?

From what I remember, I think this next-generation G3 had some pretty amazing power-consumption figures. I wonder if it would be competitive.
  • Reply 22 of 46
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BrunoBruin

From what I remember, I think this next-generation G3 had some pretty amazing power-consumption figures. I wonder if it would be competitive.

It possibly has but I still think that the more power can be saved the better. Intel Pentium-M based laptops almost get the same time out of the battery than Apple's offerings do. Apple could do better applying similar power saving stuff.
  • Reply 23 of 46
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Considering this quote from MacCentral, which has been mentioned in a couple of other threads...

Quote:

"Motorola is huge for us," said [Greg] Joswiak [Apple's vice president of Hardware Product Marketing]. "Our partnership with Motorola is not going away, G4s are in every other part of our product line. As you can see, [the G5] is not going in a PowerBook anytime soon. Motorola remains very important to us, but IBM is the one that can take us to the next level."

...I feel more confident in my guess of putting a PowerBook G5 update down at around #6 in my list.

My thinking that the iMac might go G5 in the nearer term (maybe in time for Christmas even?) is because, unlike with a laptop where people are willing to trade top performance for portability and battery life, the already slow-selling iMac, as a desktop system, looks like an even worse deal now than it did before the G5 appeared.

I'd guess that one reason that the low-end single 1.6-GHz G5 is priced at US $2000 is because, if you priced it more fairly compared to the good value of the dual 2-GHz at $3000, you'd come out at more like $1600, $200 cheaper than an iMac which is still plodding along with a 1-GHz G4. The nice built-in 17" flat panel display doesn't go anywhere far enough in my opinion to compensate for the performance difference.

You have to really, really like the visual style, all-in-one simplicity, and small ease-of-setup advantage of an iMac to consider buying one right now. Those aspects of the iMac will always be part of its value -- I think it's pointless to compare only raw specs when looking at competing Wintel products or the rest of the Mac line -- but G5 power, even at 1.2 or 1.4 GHz, will certainly make the iMac a much more compelling product.

Given the reduced hardware development cost -- one motherboard to redesign for the iMac instead of three for the full PowerBook line, the fact that PowerBook sales are good while iMac sales are poor, and that as a desktop system the iMac needs speed more than a laptop for perceived value, upgrading the iMac to G5 as soon as possible while putting the PowerBooks off, even as much as a year, seems a reasonable strategy to me.
  • Reply 24 of 46
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    The dual G5 2 gig looks like the best value product out there.

...and wow, ancient G4 or not.

A G4 tower...for under a K! Game, set and match, Lemon.

Who said Apple would never do that?

Well. They. Are.

If you want a cheap tower...

...and the dual 1.25 is only 3 hundred more...

Not bad.

Where does the rest of the Apple product line go? Good question. I think the next 6 months won't give us quite what we expect...

It proves you can sell towers cheaper than AIOs. People buy AIO for diff' reasons. Still. The iMac2 really seems to need something doing with it. The specs now look arthritic.

So. How they gonna get a 970 in there? Tea-bag the dome and make it a colinder for cooling ?

The G5, despite higher price tag has set cat amongst pigeons... If Moto' are still 'huge' for Apple...we may well see those 'faster' G4s after all...and the cheaper consumer tower becomes a reality. It already is. Remarkable. But do they keep these towers when the 1.25 chips run out?

For now? A stop gap until the 970/bus tech' comes down to affordable levels? Still, £999 for an Apple tower is unheard of. Part of the new strategy for growth? Or will a G5 derived consumer tower come along to supercede it?

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 25 of 46
    isushiisushi Posts: 32member
    I wonder if Apple will end it's eMac/iMac segregation anytime soon. Wasn't the G3 iMac alot more successful than the G4 has been? Apple suffers by leaving its eMac under-powered compared to the iMac line, so that the people who want a good, long-lasting computer without the frills of the display are left with a second-rate machine.

I miss the G3 iMacs .
  • Reply 26 of 46
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tulkas

Back to the G5 iMac before the G5 PowerBook. I honestly don't know, has the iMac ever used a faster proc than the Powerbook?

Didn't apple say they thought protables were the future back in january when they relaesed the 17 and 12 powerbooks?
  • Reply 27 of 46
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iSushi

I wonder if Apple will end it's eMac/iMac segregation anytime soon. Wasn't the G3 iMac alot more successful than the G4 has been? Apple suffers by leaving its eMac under-powered compared to the iMac line, so that the people who want a good, long-lasting computer without the frills of the display are left with a second-rate machine.

I miss the G3 iMacs .

The eMac needs to go, and the iMac needs to be cheaper. 15" LCD's have droped in price dramatically since the FP's intro, and I doubt that the speed increases that Apple has made to date on the FP add enough to the "bottom" line to negate the lower component cost of 15" LCD's that Apple is enjoying today over what they were paying 18 months ago when they hit the market. Apple needs to get these computers down to $999, with an .edu price in the neighborhood of $799.
  • Reply 28 of 46
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nano

Didn't apple say they thought protables were the future back in january when they relaesed the 17 and 12 powerbooks?

Marketing spin. They claimed they want to get to about 50% of their computers sold to be portables IIRC... a decent speed bump in the next couple months would be nice, but I expect little more than that... outside of a 15" Al Powerbook.
  • Reply 29 of 46
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I couldn't help noticing that there's a lot more room under the current PowerMac price bracket for other products to occupy.

The PowerMacs don't appear until August, so Apple has months of room to wait for the 7457, for yields on the 970 to improve, to figure out how to cram their fancy new motherboard tech into a PB, etc. This looks to be a fairly slow summer in terms of shipping product - although I'm sure Apple will find something to announce anyway - but I can certainly see what they're so excited about. Fall and winter of this year should bring all kinds of good fun.

And yes, it's all a bit behind the schedule I'd speculated about, but since I'm always wrong about what Apple announces I don't particularly care.
  • Reply 30 of 46
    I have to agree that the eMac needs to be canned as a consumer machine. Get rid of the combo/superdrive and just stick it with a cd drive and let schools have it for cheap. Apple needs to give the G5 to the iMac before the Powerbooks. The 15" PB just needs to catch up to siblings to sell again. Maybe a speed boost. But, good God, the iMac needs a real boost-performance and price. Apple does have between 6-8 weeks to get the iMac in order before the G5s ship. But come August, if the 17"FP is selling for the same as the low-end G5, who the hell will but one?
  • Reply 31 of 46
    gamblorgamblor Posts: 446member
    Quote:

The PowerBooks and iMacs are stuck at 1GHz until the 7457 comes along (assuming it does). The faster chips in the G4 Power Macs are high-voltage parts that require the massive heat sinks in the MDD. You won't see those in the iMac or a laptop.

Actually, Moto just came out with a 7455 that uses loK dialectrics, which results in about a 20-30% lower power consumption (IIRC). Lower power requirements = less heat, so it may be possible that we'll see one more iteration of the PowerBook with the 7455 before moving on to something else.

I do think that you're dead on about the PBs going nowhere with the current G4s, though. Something's got to change before they move on.
  • Reply 32 of 46
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

As MCQ said, you have to take this as marketing spin. There is some truth to this claim, however, if you read it the right way.

If you take "portables are the future" to mean that portables will get the all the big speed bumps right away, you'll be disappointed.

What gives portables so much room to expand market share in the future is that portables are now fast enough to satisfy many users needs even when they aren't at the top of the heap in performance. If fast enough is good enough, many people will be willing to forego the speed and expandability of desktops for the simplicity and cost savings of using a laptop as their sole computer for both home and mobile use.

Even with "just" a G4 7457 update this year, I think Apple's laptops will remain appealing for many buyers. I'm quite ready to buy a 12" AlBook if Apple does at least a couple of the following: boosts the speed while lowering the power costs and expanding the battery life using the 7457 G4; adds a DVI port; packs a few more pixels (say 1080x810 instead of 1024x768 ) into the display.

Until the G5, PowerBooks had gotten very close to Power Macs in performance, but I think that was mostly a fluke due to the lagging G4. Under "normal" circumstances, I imagine desktops will usually exceed laptop performance by a wide margin, since you can generally afford to burn more electrical power and create more heat in a desktop system as a way to gain processing power.
  • Reply 33 of 46
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by InactionMan

I have to agree that the eMac needs to be canned as a consumer machine. Get rid of the combo/superdrive and just stick it with a cd drive and let schools have it for cheap.

Have you forgotten why Apple offers the eMac as a consumer machine in the first place? Consumers demanded it. Apple have the numbers, and they have the feedback. If consumer demand wanes, Apple can reposition it as a pure education machine again. Until then, they'd be absolutely crazy to.

Schools can already get it for cheap; the consumer eMac with SuperDrive does not do anything to prevent that. I'd like to see the iMac pushed down pricewise as well, but they might just end up repositioning it as a midrange desktop - especially now that the eMac is proven in the sub-$1k space and the PowerMac starts at $2k.
  • Reply 34 of 46
    Apple has been hamstrung by the G4 and all its limitations, I see apple moving the Apple Line to G5 (except the iBook) Within the Year. My Guess is we will see the PowerBook G5 Announced at MWSF, PowerMac updated shortly after that. Once the PowerMac has been updated we will see the iMac go to the G5. But I think the iMac will be speed bumped this July to 1.25 G4 and be stuck there until it upgraded to a G5.

But the Powerbook & iMac upgrades will not happen until we get the G5 at .09 micron. With the PB & iMac Limited ability to cool the system I can't see using a current G5 in these computers. I do expect the G5 PB and iMac to sport new cases. The eMac will follow the iMac by 8 to 12 weeks.

iBook ??? Who knows.
  • Reply 35 of 46
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    August - PMac G5s ship; Xserve G5 announced, ship in 2 weeks

Sept - Panther's coming out Party: 15" Albook released at 1.25GHz (7457); 17" to 1.25GHz; 12" to 1GHz; iMac bumped to 1GHz and 1.42 GHz; eMac bumped likewise; iBook bumped to 1GHz G3

December - price drop on lower two current G5 models to $1699 and $2199 and on iMac to $999/$1599

January 04- PMacs updated to 2.4x2; 2.0x2; and 1.8

February - Powerbook G5 announced at 17"=1.4; 15"=1.4 (with a G4 variety); 12" remains G4; shipping by early March

mid-April - Powerbook G5 actually ships; Powermac bumped to 2.8x2; 2.4x2; 2.0

May - iMac G5 announced at 1.4 and 1.8; ships immediately

July - PMac bumped to 3.0x2; 2.6x2; 2.4 with $200 price cut on all three models; ship in August

August - PBooks bumped, 17"=1.8, 15"=1.8/1.4, 12"=1.4; iBook goes G4+ at 1.25 GHz with $200 price cut; eMac bumped to 1.84 G4+ with $100 price cut

January 05 - PowerMac G6 introduced 8)
  • Reply 36 of 46
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DCQ

[B]iMac bumped to 1GHz and 1.42 GHz /B]

The imac is already at 1ghz
  • Reply 37 of 46
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 389member
    The Apple Store is down right now, so something may be coming sooner than we think! My guess is the 15.4" Al PB with the Mot 7457 (though I wish G5!).
  • Reply 38 of 46
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iSushi

I miss the G3 iMacs .

what do you mean the emac is underpowered? it runs 1Ghz.

just like the imac (okay the imac has a 33% faster bus. so what)

why do you think the fp imac is less succesfull than the crt imac?

it's the economy that collapsed when the ICT/e-commerce bubble desintegrated in the hands of an overoptimistic stock exchange.

it started in august/september 2000: the computersales plummed out off the blue. 9/11 was the next blow and the rest followed. the first thing people stop buying are luxery artikels. and you know what? a new computer is a luxury, especially because the original crt imac is still pretty good for it's tasks.

apple doesn't suffer by leaving it's emac underpowered it isn't underpowered for it's price, it's a whopping $500.00 cheaper, what do you want for that price? a dell? apple suffers from the bad economic climat.

[edit] ow, i see your 15, now i understand (removed also some nasty words for a child in it's puberty's sake)

Quote:

i think he's talking about the 800Mhz version to be bumped to 1Ghz, don't you?
  • Reply 39 of 46
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline snipXServe gets G5, maybe only a single processor if heat is a problem.
    Soon after, or simultaneously, 15" PowerBook goes Aluminum, and all PowerBooks switch to G4+, 12" at 1 GHz, 15" and 17" at 1.25 GHz.
    iMac updated to G5, with speeds up to 1.2 or 1.4 GHz.
    iBook and eMac go G4+, no L3 cache, up to 1.25 GHz.
    Somewhere in here, first G5 speed bumps for Power Macs, then Xserve, possibly G5s on 0.09 micron process.
    PowerBooks transition to G5, even more likely G5s on a 0.09 micron process.
    Headless G5 appears, something like a mini-tower or a neo-Cube.
    ...fuzzy crystal ball becomes way too fuzzy to continue.
    If no G4+ materializes any time soon then, of course, this whole time table goes to hell. If the only possible upward move from the current G4 is going to the G5, that will make moving the whole product line forward very tough -- lots of motherboards to redesign, and possibly having to wait for 0.09 micron G5s for reasons of power and heat dissipation in some cases.

Excellent post and excellent reasoning Shetline. The MPC7457 can have a 200 MHz bus, though, and can go to 1.3 GHz. It also has 512K L2, twice that of the 7455, so it'll have very good performance while also running a lot cooler. It seems like an excellent processor for the PBs and iMacs. A 970 running at 1.2 GHz dissipates 19W, according to an IBM PDF, although an IBM guy told BadAndy that it's 20W at 1 GHz. Whatever, it seems too hot to put into any other Mac except maybe an Xserve.

I imagine PBs will be refreshed soon with revised iMacs later in the summer. My WAG:
    • 12" PB, 1 GHz

• 15.4" PB, 1.2 GHz

• 17" PB, 1.3 GHz

All with 200 MHz system bus and DDR400 PC3200, at least I hope that's the case.

Now for the iMacs:
    • 17" Combo Drive, 1 GHz

• 17" SuperDrive, 1.2 GHz

Same bus and memory as above, I hope. I can't wait to get a 15" AlBook. I wish it'd have a G5 but that isn't likely to happen until January at the earliest but more likely a year from now. It'll be a lot easier for the G5 to filter down to other Macs once the process goes to .09µ. If IBM is ahead of schedule on that, so much the better, but it's looking like spring will be the earliest.
  • Reply 40 of 46
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Quote:

Err... The iMac has two configs: 800MHz and 1GHz. I was suggesting Apple could bump the low end to 1GHz and the higher one to 1.42.

I thought that would be obvious.

-DCQ