Rumors of War

Comments

• Reply 21 of 90
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

And that's fine. Apple doesn't have to be the Jesus of computing. They are a great company that makes great products. But there is no real superiority over MS, it's just different.

The underlying conclusion of this is that Microsoft is also a great company that makes great products. This is really where the difference of opinion stems from, since the majority of users here wouldn't agree with you on that point.
  • Reply 22 of 90
    Bill Gates looked the Justice Dept & several state AG in the eye and they all blinked (Except for Massachusetts AG, the only one holding out). The judge accepted a lame aggrement and Microsoft is smiling all the way to the bank.

So now Microsoft thinks they do not have to play nice anymore, so now they are not about to play nice with Apple. Hey Apple Release a new powerful version of AppleWorks (AppleOffice) and goodbye MS Office.

MS Office is need for apple switch campain. I bet within 6 to 18 Microsoftwill kill the Mac Business Div.
  • Reply 23 of 90
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Microsoft does make great products.

If you don't want to believe that, then fine. That's your thing.

If a Maclot wants to harp on "you have to restart all the time!", which is a Win95 argument, don't be surprised when a Winlot responds with an equally inane "Macs always freeze."

You can't use Win2k or WinXP on decent hardware and get the impression that they are not quality pieces of software. The same goes of OSX.2 on a decent Mac.

You can quibble over features and design goals, but this fanboy stuff is just irritating.
  • Reply 24 of 90
    Groverat:

I understand where your coming from. Microsoft does put out some good products but they are not associated with quality. Really. However, you really do sound like a "Microsoftie" in all your responses. I'm not asking you to take Apple's side simply b/c this is an Apple-centric board. Just realize they ideas are spurned from other ideas.

With that said, nobody in their right mind thinks that Microsoft is a rock solid outfit. They are a chop-shop outfit that is only concerned about getting a product to market and fixing all the problems later. Yes, they do come out with some "neat" products but how can you rely on them, really?!? There is no other company in the world that puts out more defective products than Microsoft.

"Sure they make a good cake, but they cover it with dog-shit frosting!"
  • Reply 25 of 90
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Yes we know Apple didnt invent many of the technologies we use.

They just make the technologies better, far better and beyond just a nifty package.

Did they invent the mouse? A music app? A MP3 player? Graphical Unix? USB? Ofcoarse not, they popularized them or realize them to a fuller potential.
  • Reply 26 of 90
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleLuva

"Sure they make a good cake, but they cover it with dog-shit frosting!"

Really? I thought they made dog shit, but cover it with cake frosting. Hmm..

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'll but out now.

Carry on with your 'war talk'. War talk, war chalk...wireless internet. Reminds me of AirPort. Another Apple innovation (not an invention, an innovation).

Oh well. Like I said, I'm butting out. No time to list Apple's innovations for anyone.

Carry on.
  • Reply 27 of 90
    Well it seems the Mods are having fun with us! Enjoy gentlemen, ladies, whoever you are!
  • Reply 28 of 90
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Microsoft does make great products.

Well, your certainly not talking about the Xbox ... still gushing blood.

Not talking about XP otherwise companies like Amazon.com would not be dumping them in droves for an OS written by a student.

.Net : NO

that flight simulator program maybe?

IE- they had to shut that down so because Safari would have trounced it. Hopefully it will be ported to windows to finish the job.

I give up ... you must not need a computer to run any "real" apps.
  • Reply 29 of 90
    I think Apple needs to be especially careful now. The Justice Dept should have stepped in and broken MS up by now, but they didn't. Unless W. Clark throws his hat into the ring, GW will be president for another term, which means no antitrust action against MS. That means that MS can kill off Mac Office on a whim now, so I sure hope Apple has a 100 percent compatible replacement available in the wings.

Too bad MS has also locked up a fair amount of internet transactions. Remember when their antitrust argument was that due to the internet Microsoft would likely be irrelevant in a few years? Wishful thinking.

I think Apple needs to be careful with these cheap attacks. I don't think they really accomplish anything, and I worry that the repercussions could be severe.

ps The notion that MS innovates is absurd.
  • Reply 30 of 90
    AppleLuva:

Quote:

Microsoft does put out some good products but they are not associated with quality. Really.

No, not really.

What experience do you actually have with Microsoft products?

Quote:

However, you really do sound like a "Microsoftie" in all your responses. I'm not asking you to take Apple's side simply b/c this is an Apple-centric board. Just realize they ideas are spurned from other ideas.

If acknowledging that MS isn't a horrible demon that only makes shit software makes me a "Microsoftie" then guilty as charged.

Quote:

With that said, nobody in their right mind thinks that Microsoft is a rock solid outfit. They are a chop-shop outfit that is only concerned about getting a product to market and fixing all the problems later.

Which is it, do they deliver too slowly or rush it out? You can't have both.

A chop-shop...

Quote:

Yes, they do come out with some "neat" products but how can you rely on them, really?!?

Yes. Millions of people around the world do.

Quote:

There is no other company in the world that puts out more defective products than Microsoft.

You obviously aren't worth talking to. I wish you had said this earlier so I wouldn't have wasted the time.

---

MajorMatt:

Quote:

Did they invent the mouse? A music app? A MP3 player? Graphical Unix? USB? Ofcoarse not, they popularized them or realize them to a fuller potential.

They popularized the mouse.

"A music app" - What the hell does that mean?

"USB" - It's a connection technology invented by Intel.

"mp3 player" - Apple was so far behind on this I can't believe you have the gall to bring it up. Again, start using computers yesterday?

"Graphical Unix" - Eh... Linux. Heard of it?

---

Airport: Another standard developed by others Apple used for its niche product.

Definitely a good thing, but I'm sorry if co-opting someone else's work and rebranding it doesn't pump my nads.

Apple takes IEEE802.11 and calls it Airport and suddenly they "innovated".

Taking a product and pushing it out before the PC world (which is exponentially larger and therefore much slower to change) is not innovation, it's taking advantage of being small and more maneuverable.

---

the cool gut:

Quote:

Not talking about XP otherwise companies like Amazon.com would not be dumping them in droves for an OS written by a student.

Did Apple not just do the SAME DAMNED THING with their entire operating system? Or did Apple invent Unix?

You might want to hold of on mocking student-written OSs before you open up OSX's terminal.

Quote:

.Net : NO

Why? Did someone else have this first?

Or you just don't like it?

Quote:

IE- they had to shut that down so because Safari would have trounced it. Hopefully it will be ported to windows to finish the job.

Yes, IE for the Mac is certainly the main benchmark to use when judging Microsoft's abilities.

Quote:

I give up ... you must not need a computer to run any "real" apps.

I pray you are joking.

---

Here's an idea people, let's try *not* being blind zealots!
  • Reply 31 of 90
    Apple will soon be shipping competitive and superfast hardware again. You can drop the penis-envy petty bullshit.

I promise.
  • Reply 32 of 90
    dfryerdfryer Posts: 140member
    But then what would we spend our time doing?!

Contributing to the community and creating innovative products or something? groverat, you sure are weird.
  • Reply 33 of 90
    discocowdiscocow Posts: 603member
    You know what the cause of all this bickering is don?t you?

IT?S THE RDF! IT FÚCKS WITH YOUR HEAD!

Fear the RDF!

FEAR IT!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
  • Reply 34 of 90
    discocowdiscocow Posts: 603member
    That?s why they didn?t broadcast the keynote live. The sheer amount of RDF emitted by Steve plus the artificial RDF created by the G5s would have been so powerful that millions of people would have been killed in the mindless frenzy that would have followed (the further you are from the field, the less euphoric you feel, and the more likely you are to act violently.)

Only after the video was run through special RDF filtering software, would it be safe to broadcast.

And yes, the 970 chips themselves have artificial reality distortion field generators (you can find an overview in the technical literature if you look hard enough.)

It was a request made by Apple to IBM at an early stage of the development process. In fact, that?s why it took so long for the chips to come out. The countless months it took to decode samples of Mr. Job?s DNA, plus the the time it took to mimic his unique ability with silicon took up a large amount of the R&D time (around 66%)

But time is nothing compared to the cost of human life. Several engineers lost their lives (or had their blockbuster coupons expire) working on this machine. One man, so extremely overworked (over 9 & 1/2 days without sleep) choked to death when he (due to the delirium of sleep deprivation) forgot to remove the rapper from his snickers bar.

My hat is off to him.
  • Reply 35 of 90
    dfryerdfryer Posts: 140member
    How did they fit the rapper in the snickers bar in the first place?
  • Reply 36 of 90
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    You missed what I meant completely.

The MP3 Player, I stated Apple didnt invent many technologies. Computers were around for decades before Apple was started, perhaps I shouldnt have the gall to talk about Apple then?

Apple didnt invent the MP3 player, it came late into the arena, but introduced an MP3 player that many Mac and more importantly PC people agree was a better piece of technology. This is what I meant by realizing it to a fuller potential. But you'd rather have us instantly discredit the iPod's success because Apple was late!

I know Intel invented USB, Apple's original iMac popularized it.

The Music App.......think about it.

They turned the the graphical 'nix into a better, friendlier system to use.

Lastly, there is no need for you to say "start using computers yesterday?" That had no relavence to the post.
  • Reply 37 of 90
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Most of the articles I have seen since Monday about Apple have been pretty ho-hum about the announcement. This one has been more positive, and provided more recognition of Apple's innovation, than most.
  • Reply 38 of 90
    quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is no other company in the world that puts out more defective products than Microsoft.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You obviously aren't worth talking to. I wish you had said this earlier so I wouldn't have wasted the time. "

Groverat: Debate me on this. Name one product that Microsoft has put out that hasn't needed major patching within it's first three months of release. And don't say their keyboard and mouse either. I realize that because they have such a large product group and install base they can't be perfect and are certainly a target. But don't try to tell me that isn't their fault.

As far as the comment of not being worth talking to I would expect a little more from you than that. Nobody is taking pot shots at you. This is a discussion board. My comment to you about sounding like a "Microsoftie" merely described the way you're coming at everyones responses on the board. Lighten up. It's just a board.
  • Reply 39 of 90
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I regret ever posting in this thread.
  • Reply 40 of 90
    dfryer:

Quote:

But then what would we spend our time doing?!

Contributing to the community and creating innovative products or something? groverat, you sure are weird.

I don't even think there's a real problem with Mac fanatics being so blind and ignorant. It's when Jobs gets up there and does it that I really think it's idiotic and even offensive. For him to bluster about people copying Apple is an insult to my intelligence.

It's like being a fan of a sports team. The fans taunt each other, yeah, but if the head coach starts running up and down the sideline flipping off the other team that's irritating and pointless.

--

MajorMatt:

Quote:

This is what I meant by realizing it to a fuller potential. But you'd rather have us instantly discredit the iPod's success because Apple was late!

I would?

Perhaps if you didn't actually read my posts.

Above you I said:

The iPod counts (as an innovation) because it accelerated portable digital audio a great deal WRT computer integration.

"mp3 player" could mean iTunes or iPod, hell it could even mean Quicktime. I assumed you meant iTunes.

Quote:

I know Intel invented USB, Apple's original iMac popularized it.

So what? It's a connection technology. BFD.

Quote:

They turned the the graphical 'nix into a better, friendlier system to use.

Their old easy-to-use system was so amazingly outdated they had to take someone else's years of work and make it pretty and easy-to-use. I don't mind they did, it's smart business and it has delivered a great OS. Just don't try to tell me they did something innovative.

Sprucing up someone else's work is not innovation. Piggybacking is not innovation. It's the smart way to do things most of the time, but it's not innovation.

The 1984 Macintosh was innovative, Apple has been milking that ever since. Why the hell do you think it's at the end of all their press releases?

"In 1984 Apple Computer..."

---

AppleLuva:

Quote:

Name one product that Microsoft has put out that hasn't needed major patching within it's first three months of release.

Name any major product that hasn't had a patch within its first three months of release! I guess those software updates and point releases of OSX don't really exist?

Did I not just download Keynote 1.1 or iTunes 4.1? I guess I'm not running 10.2.6.

Quote:

Nobody is taking pot shots at you.

I consider fatuous ignorance and lies to be insults to my intelligence. Being purposefully stupid is a personal attack.

Keep fighting that war you'll never win!