Are there any future G4 towers?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Sorry if this has been outlined already, but I didn't see the keynote.

Did Jobs say that there will effectively be no more future G4 towers?

Once inventories of it are gone, will it be replenished or are the current G4 towers an end of line product ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    There is a new single 1.25 G4 that retails for 1299 on Apple's website. I'm guessing it is just a stop-gap machine to tide consumers over until the G5s arrive.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Jobs made no mention concerning the future of the G4 based

products.

Personally I am of the opinion that the G4 processors will

continue in the consumer product (non Pro) line very similar to

the former G4 Pro vs G3 consumer stance of previous years.

Obviously a consumer tower would be nice and would probably still

sell well at the right price.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Apple will sell the two G4 models as long as there is a demand.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    There is two G4 towers at the apple store : click Classic compatible. There is a single and a dual.

They can both click under os 9 and os X. I think that this two computers will be the last G4 towers.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Yes I can see that the G4 towers are still online.

I'd think there would still be a decent market for 1GHz G4 towers in the near future.

Heck it's still a speedy machine and not everyone who needs expandability will need the power or costs of a G5.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    The $1299 machine just could be Apple's answer to a less than $1500 machine to attract people to them who have that amount to spend. The development costs have been covered and all they have to do is keep an appropriate supply of them in the retail channel. One problem with the new G5 is that it is about $500 above the price point where many PCs are placed. People who are looking to buy a computer for that amount of money and who do not want an iMac (it is not everyone's cup of tea) would have a choice where they simply would not even consider the G5 because of its price point.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    The G4 PowerMacs do not have FireWire 800, and are not ready for Airport Extreme or Bluetooth. I have not followed the Power Macs lately and wonder whether they never got these upgrades, or whether Apple is now selling old stock at the reduced prices? Anyone care to comment?