Learning Coccoa

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So for somone who wants to learn coccoa, what book would you recommend...i recently bought O'Reilly for PHP and enjoyed that but i was wondering if anyone knew any that were better or not

I will eventually want to make programs that can talk to eachother over the internet (or at least a local network) so a book with that in mind too would be nice

haha so i want an advanced book with lots of information set up for a beginner

any suggestions?

PS - how long do you think i'd have to wait for the a book with refrences to the new dev tools apple just gave out haha?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    come on...nobody has any suggestions?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by AirSluf

First:

Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X, by Aaron Hillegass

Followed by:

Cocoa Programming, by Scott Anguish, Erik Buck & Donald Yacktman

This comprehensive book is the most advanced and most up-to-date book on programming Mac OS X available today. It's not for beginners. (Their description, not mine)

And for the networking intro:

Java Network Programming, by Elliotte Rusty Harold (an O'reilly book)

thanks, definatly a help...what i am curious about though is java networking, is that the best way to do it, i mean i always understood java to be slower on OS X (perhaps not as much with G5's/panther) but perhaps that is just the GUI stuff
  • Reply 4 of 11
    what about REALbasic...does that have anything over coccoa in terms of speed (i assume its easier) but is it less powerful?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    dfryerdfryer Posts: 140member
    Well, if you're going to learn [Objective-] C or Java anyway (and I think you should, if you haven't already) then RealBasic has very little to offer except for being able to slap some quick demos together for your friends. The right books to recommend really depend on your background and desired direction
  • Reply 6 of 11
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

what about REALbasic...does that have anything over coccoa in terms of speed (i assume its easier) but is it less powerful?

If you are going to write more than one program in your life, don't even think about it. I mean, forget it. You have a better choice between Obj-C and Java. Plus AppleScript Studio for workflow automatization or slap-together-in-five-minutes apps. These won't spoil your mind with wrong concepts at the very least.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfryer

Well, if you're going to learn [Objective-] C or Java anyway (and I think you should, if you haven't already) then RealBasic has very little to offer except for being able to slap some quick demos together for your friends. The right books to recommend really depend on your background and desired direction

well can you suggest anymore...i know basic c++, php, and SOME javascript
  • Reply 8 of 11
  • Reply 9 of 11
    ok thanks, i'm just trying to prepare so when i get my new comptuer i can start

do you think i'd have problems if i tried to learn two langauges at once?
  • Reply 10 of 11
  • Reply 11 of 11
    well i think i'm gonna start working my program in REALBasic and then when i get my new comp (i'm thinking g5) i'll start on coccoa