Any word on Panther's requirements?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Like the title says... I'm still stuck with a 600 MHz G3 and am wondering if this will be enough to let the panther roam free.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

Like the title says... I'm still stuck with a 600 MHz G3 and am wondering if this will be enough to let the panther roam free.

If we believe what is said here, Panther

requires DP 867 or better, and DP1GHz is recommended. This probably holds only for the developer preview version.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Panther requires DP 867 or better, and DP1GHz is recommended

Wow! That would leave a LOT of people in the cold. Not to mention righteously PISS OFF very many people.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    I think that's only for the developer preview version. It's a little soon to be edging out a whole lot of customers with older computers.

I would expect to start seeing this situation a year from now.

As Steve said they want to finish out the transition to OS X this year.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Wow! That would leave a LOT of people in the cold. Not to mention righteously PISS OFF very many people.

Well, it's still in alpha, so I'd take those with a grain of salt.

They sure are high though. I'm beginning to wonder if the minimum spec may become something like a G4, or G3 w/ Quartz Extreme.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

If we believe what is said here, Panther

requires DP 867 or better, and DP1GHz is recommended. This probably holds only for the developer preview version.

I recall the new Quicktime codec wants a 1 Ghz G4 to do full screen video. I suspect many users will be feeling the pain soon.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BobtheTomato

I recall the new Quicktime codec wants a 1 Ghz G4 to do full screen video. I suspect many users will be feeling the pain soon.

Yeah, but not close to everyone will be watching such high quality video.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    Quote:

Thats apples style.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

DP 867 or better, and DP1GHz is recommended.

Sheesh, Dual 867 or better? There's only one model you can even buy right now that meets those requirements. They're definitely going to have to bring those down if they even want to sell a single copy at $129. Otherwise, people will just have to get Panther free with their new G5's.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    It's all the debug code!

No, seriously, it'll come down. Remember folks, THIS ISN'T FOR YOU... this is for developers. Period. They're used to this.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    DP867 or better is not going to happen. No way no freaking how. It makes no sense.

However, by 2004 there's no more need to support beige G3s and bondi iMacs.

500mhz or better, how's that for arbitrary?
  • Reply 11 of 34
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Someone at WWDC said on MacNN Forum that he installed it on his 12" PB.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    I really really REALLY hope Panther'll run on my iBook 600. >.< Only time will tell its final requirements.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Sounds definitive enough for me... And, it'll probably get me another year out of the old iBook. Still that's a lot of additional processing power just for debug code... maybe they've got all that running in a separate SMP thread or something, so if you've got a DP 867, it runs like a single 867.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Actually, I'm kinda fearing them drawing the Quartz Extreme card. If you don't have it, you're out of luck (the Expose feature requires QE, for one).
  • Reply 15 of 34
    Here's another report:

"I can't tell you how much I like exposé. I programmed my middle mouse button to act as the trigger (in the exposé pane of the System Preferences) and it works flawlessly. It is so wonderful when I'm working with 20-30 open windows.

We installed it on a DP450/512 with a Rage128 card (read: no QE) and the performance was nothing short of amazing. I loaded up the system and tried to bog it down but it kept on plugging.

Most noticible observation: all apps open dramatically faster.

Oh yeah, and preview finally is fast."

Exposé does not require QE.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BobtheTomato

I posted this elsewhere, but it seems pertinent here, too.

"Pixlet lets high-end digital film frames play in real time with any Panther Mac, without investing in costly, proprietary playback hardware"

I suppose it all depends how much you have things compressed, but that's quite the statement if they are planning on supporting old 266 MHz G3 iBooks and iMacs.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    If Panther will run on my Sage iMac I'll be so freaking happy. Fast User Switching and Expose are worth the price tag. If a G3 450 isn't enough I may have a very hard time not upgrading my Mac.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

I suppose it all depends how much you have things compressed, but that's quite the statement if they are planning on supporting old 266 MHz G3 iBooks and iMacs.

Pixlet is a codec meant for pro video editing.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    vasuvasu Posts: 26member
    I saw someone install the preview on a DP533 tonight and it works amazingly well. The read me documentation states nothing about requiring a DP867 or recomending a DP1Ghz.

In fact I hear it states this in the Panther read me:

Quote:

Power Mac G4

Power Macintish G3 (Blue & White)

Powerbook G4

Powerbook G3 with built in USB

iMac and eMac

iBook

So it seems beige G3, Wallstreet, and Lombard powerbooks are out of luck with this Developer preview and possibly Panther all together.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

DP867 or better is not going to happen. No way no freaking how. It makes no sense.

However, by 2004 there's no more need to support beige G3s and bondi iMacs.

NOOOOOOOo i have a bondi imac as a second comp. and i want panther on it.

PS that 1 mhz better be bull shit cuz i got a 800mhz imac

Plus 500mhz min. would leave alot of peeps out